The Student Room Group

Mechanics in math thread

Hi everyone, I'm studying Edexcel further math, and I'm really interested in the mechanics units. I've studied M1 and M2 and I'm currently doing M3. Are there anyone else out there with similar interests? :colondollar:
Have to revise for mocks now...I'll be back when I have time...
Reply 1
Original post by yangg
Hi everyone, I'm studying Edexcel further math, and I'm really interested in the mechanics units. I've studied M1 and M2 and I'm currently doing M3. Are there anyone else out there with similar interests? :colondollar:

I did Further maths and dropped it after AS. I'm doing M1 now along with AQA Physics so they tie in really well. Not doing M2 or 3, I find M1 really easy though :smile:
I love the Mechanics modules! :smile: The problems are really fun, especially compared to Statistics (finding product-moment-correlation-coefficients by hand, anyone?). And, they're very closely connected to Physics, which is also an awesome subject! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by yangg

I chose to do M1 and M2, they're making the Mechanics in Physics A-level seem ridiculously easy and it's interesting to be able to model real world problems. Though I do regret picking M2 because I'm finding it quite hard, wish I'd picked S3 instead
Original post by Flauta
I chose to do M1 and M2, they're making the Mechanics in Physics A-level seem ridiculously easy and it's interesting to be able to model real world problems. Though I do regret picking M2 because I'm finding it quite hard, wish I'd picked S3 instead

You're not on Edexcel are you?
Reply 5
Original post by Khallil
You're not on Edexcel are you?

Nah AQA :tongue: Why'd you ask?
Original post by Flauta
Nah AQA :tongue: Why'd you ask?

Edexcel M2 is a breeze! :colone:
Reply 7
Original post by Khallil

I think it's the same kind of stuff aha. I'm just really bad at objects resting against a wall being held in place with a string, spent about 5 hours on the exercises and it's not sticking (yet :rolleyes:).
Reply 8
How did you guys handle the vector topic ?
I like mechanics, just finished M1 and I've kind of started M2. It's one of the only modules that I'm doing in maths atm that I actually have to think about :P Definitely better than stats :P I'd say it's my second favourite area of maths - right after pure maths.
Halfway through M1. Want it dome by the weekend. M2 will start in a month or so, glad to hear Edexcel M2 is easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing all five mechanics modules!

I seriously find M4 to be easier than D1

Less content, less concepts, and very interesting problems :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Jipvh
I did Further maths and dropped it after AS. I'm doing M1 now along with AQA Physics so they tie in really well. Not doing M2 or 3, I find M1 really easy though :smile:

I agree, M1 is quite simple :smile:

Original post by StrangeBanana
I love the Mechanics modules! :smile: The problems are really fun, especially compared to Statistics (finding product-moment-correlation-coefficients by hand, anyone?). And, they're very closely connected to Physics, which is also an awesome subject! :biggrin:

I study physics as well, mechanics stuff do come in useful :biggrin:

Original post by Flauta

What you're allowed to pick???
In my school we don't have enough qualified teachers for us to choose random units, so we have to do what the math department tells us to study. For this reason I had to self study M3. However the positive thing is I can emerge from this more well-rounded because if I had the choice I may have done a whole A-level on mechanics, which means I may miss out from other useful subjects, like statistics :P
I haven't studied a single statistic unit yet :s-smilie: Looking forward to it though! Apparently there's all this Poisson distribution, hypothesis testing, probability and other interesting stuff! Right?

Original post by Khallil

I agree. Do you think M3 is any harder? :smile:

Original post by zed963
How did you guys handle the vector topic ?

In which unit? I think vectors crop up every time? -___-
Reply 13
Original post by k4l397
I like mechanics, just finished M1 and I've kind of started M2. It's one of the only modules that I'm doing in maths atm that I actually have to think about :P Definitely better than stats :P I'd say it's my second favourite area of maths - right after pure maths.

Well I can't say whether I think it's better than statistics, because I haven't studied it! I think I like the applied areas of math better though!

Original post by addylad
Halfway through M1. Want it dome by the weekend. M2 will start in a month or so, glad to hear Edexcel M2 is easy!

I liked the part about finding the centre of mass of a uniform lamina. In M3 there is some integration of moments involved, and you will learn how to proof the centre of mass for semicircular laminas. :smile:

Original post by RoyalBlue7
I'm doing all five mechanics modules!

I seriously find M4 to be easier than D1

Less content, less concepts, and very interesting problems :tongue:

Having less content and concepts is good??:confused:
However I can concur on your opinion that the problems are interesting!
I skimmed through a few pages of discrete math - it's quite interesting actually! However I never studied it properly.
Original post by yangg

Having less content and concepts is good??:confused:
However I can concur on your opinion that the problems are interesting!
I skimmed through a few pages of discrete math - it's quite interesting actually! However I never studied it properly.

Well it's good in the sense a lot of concepts merges ...and forgetting a method is unlikely.

Decision Mathematics has a lot of content - and the methods are easier to forget. It was interesting until I found out that they ask for definitions :colone:

I'm self studying six modules so I really don't have a good idea of the trends :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by yangg
I agree, M1 is quite simple :smile:

I study physics as well, mechanics stuff do come in useful :biggrin:

What you're allowed to pick???
In my school we don't have enough qualified teachers for us to choose random units, so we have to do what the math department tells us to study. For this reason I had to self study M3. However the positive thing is I can emerge from this more well-rounded because if I had the choice I may have done a whole A-level on mechanics, which means I may miss out from other useful subjects, like statistics :P
I haven't studied a single statistic unit yet :s-smilie: Looking forward to it though! Apparently there's all this Poisson distribution, hypothesis testing, probability and other interesting stuff! Right?

I agree. Do you think M3 is any harder? :smile:

In which unit? I think vectors crop up every time? -___-

M1
Reply 16
Please tell me exactly what's bothering you about M1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest