The Student Room Group

Architecture - Prioritising A level grades (Economics) or subject relevance (Physics)

Hey, I hope everyone's doing well!

I'm a student nearing the end of Year 12 and am torn between choosing either Physics or Economics A Level when considering applying to Architecture for uni. I study Maths, Geography, Physics and Economics for A Level and am thinking of dropping one.

My problem is that while Physics would be more relevant to Architecture, I'm unsure as to whether I'd be able to get the grades that I need/ want to apply to university. It's interesting and enjoyable to me, but my test performance isn't the best and I'm worried that my final grade in Year 13 won't turn out the way I hope.

For Economics, it's less relevant to architecture but I'm more confident that I'll be able to get the grades I want/ need compared to Physics.

As far as I've been researching, there usually aren't any strict subject requirements for Architecture besides Maths for some courses with a preference for Physics for more engineering/ physics based ones (like at University of Bath), but I intend on applying to more art/ design oriented Architecture degrees. There is also the requirement of an art portfolio but not necessarily Art, so there's a possibility I will try and do an Art and Design Foundation Diploma at UAL. But for competitive universities, I'm worried that with Maths being one of the only directly related A level subjects, if I don't have Physics it would already put me at a disadvantage.

If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it - all insight would be useful, thank you! :smile:)
Reply 1
All of the forces and mechanics in physics will be useful for architecture. But you will do better and have more fun studying a subject you enjoy.
@Nomawoj please don't make duplicate threads on the same topic. Your other thread has already been replied to:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7364763#post98562579
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
@Nomawoj please don't make duplicate threads on the same topic. Your other thread has already been replied to:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7364763#post98562579

That's my mistake; I'll make sure to not do it again

Quick Reply

Latest