The Student Room Group

Can someone help me find cases for a mooting on contract?

A, the owner of a bakery is having a promotion, selling boxes of chocolates for $1.50. However, she is only putting up 50 for sale on a first come first served basis.

A puts up an advertisement online, with all the details, including the fact that the promotion only lasts from 4th of July to 17th of July.

B sees this advertisement online on the 4th, and immediately sends an email to reserve 5 boxes. He lives 50 miles away, so he plans on driving to A's bakery before the end of the promotion on the 17th.

Before the 17th A realizes that the shop is losing too much money, and decides to end the promotion. She sends B an email saying that the promotion has ended.

B doesn't read this email in time, and makes the trip to A's bakery only to realize that the promotion has ended. B brings the matter to court, but the court decides that the promotion was merely an invitation to treat. B decides to appeal the case.

I'm taking the side of the respondents in maintaining that the promotion was merely an invitation to treat and not an offer. Having a hard time finding relevant cases to support my side though, as the email bit makes older cases useless. Any help would be appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Raging Doughnut
A, the owner of a bakery is having a promotion, selling boxes of chocolates for $1.50. However, she is only putting up 50 for sale on a first come first served basis.

A puts up an advertisement online, with all the details, including the fact that the promotion only lasts from 4th of July to 17th of July.

B sees this advertisement online on the 4th, and immediately sends an email to reserve 5 boxes. He lives 50 miles away, so he plans on driving to A's bakery before the end of the promotion on the 17th.

Before the 17th A realizes that the shop is losing too much money, and decides to end the promotion. She sends B an email saying that the promotion has ended.

B doesn't read this email in time, and makes the trip to A's bakery only to realize that the promotion has ended. B brings the matter to court, but the court decides that the promotion was merely an invitation to treat. B decides to appeal the case.

I'm taking the side of the respondents in maintaining that the promotion was merely an invitation to treat and not an offer. Having a hard time finding relevant cases to support my side though. Any help would be appreciated.

Lefkowitz v Great Minneapolis Surplus Store - us case
Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball
Ramsgate Victoria Hotel v Montefiore
Dickinson v Dodds
Original post by tehforum
Lefkowitz v Great Minneapolis Surplus Store - us case
Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball
Ramsgate Victoria Hotel v Montefiore
Dickinson v Dodds

Thank you very much. Will read up on those.

I'm familiar with Carlill's case though. Doesn't it go against what I'm trying to prove?

I sort of feel like the promotion was in fact an offer, but hey, I want to go down fighting. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending