The Student Room Group

Twitch Plays Pokemon

12345.pngimages (1).jpg

You can watch it live here.

TwitchPlaysPokemon is a social experiment, it is a stream of the Gameboy version of Pokemon Red (151 romhack) running on an emulator. An IRC bot translates buttons said in chat into keypresses (simulated in software, no fancy typist robots).

What it is:
The stream shows a bot that is controlled by the chat box on the right. People enter left, the character moves left. They enter right, the character moves right. Can a rough average of 50'000 people cooperate to complete the game?

It's been really great to watch, and the stream is easily hurtling towards being the biggest on the interweb. Most major messaging boards have had threads spring up about it, discussing some of the more emotional moments and difficulties, so I thought it would be good if TSR joined in :h:

Complete Events so Far

Spoiler

Highlights so far

Spoiler

Post below if you've watched it, have found any good memes that are springing up, or just want to chat about the pokemon game itself even. The OP will be updated as events progress, and highlights of the game are up for debate. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Who doesn't play Pokemon?
Reply 2
S2TUzqh.png

Couple of articles about it:

The Independent

Nzgamer

Know Your Meme
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by JindleBrey
Who doesn't play Pokemon?

I don't :colonhash:
Reply 4
KEhsHOQ.png

Something really fun that came out of it is the player character repeatedly turning to the Helix Fossil in his time of need. It being deposited has been a real blow to moral whilst stuck in the Team Rocket base. There's talk that it might be worth the arduous journey back to the PC to get it, despite the risks of releasing another pokemon.

Twitch+Plays+Pokemon.+All+hail+Helix+Fossil_26a83f_5020169.pngtumblr_n12u40nF9s1r952tco2_500.png

sPYFydS.png 176.png

A few T Shirts are even cropping up for sale.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Hurtling towards the most viewed twitch stream of all time spot, and with one channel alone eclipsing the total seperate channels of every game including League of legends, The experiment is becoming incredibly popular.

TwitchFeatured.jpg

But the hive mind might have hit the pixel brick wall with the team rocket floor tiles. A user on reddit recently made a sort of guestimate about the likelihood of ever actually getting past this maze.

As of recent, I have been fascinated by “Twitch Plays Pokemon.” Watching us valiantly struggle through the Team Rocket hideout, I decided to do the math to figure out the likelihood of a perfect run through the first maze. Assuming that there are 70,000 viewers inputting commands with 8 different buttons to press, the probability of the command issued being the correct one is about 12.5%. However this only covers one instance of the maze. I don’t know the exact amount of steps in the maze that completes it in minimal time, but I guess around 40. This reduces the probability to 0.3125%. With every extra command inputted that percentage goes down. Assuming the absolute worst case scenario, where 9,996,875 of those are failures before the correct solution occurs, and with each failure taking around 1 minute, this could take up to 6,942.27 days, or 19 years. Time to pray to Lord Helix…

fpb8pFt.png
Watching this is enough to drive you insane. Didn't they release the Charmeleon at some point?
Reply 7
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Watching this is enough to drive you insane. Didn't they release the Charmeleon at some point?

They did.
Reply 8

Yeah, I have it in the OP spoilers as one of the highlights. Was pretty heartbreaking :lol:

It was all the work of Eevee, the avatar of the Dome fossil. Fear it.

RSMldji.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Omg this is one of the best things I've ever seen in my life!!
I'm laughing so much, I'm constantly crying :rofl:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Yeah, I have it in the OP spoilers as one of the highlights. Was pretty heartbreaking :lol:

It was all the work of Eevee, the avatar of the Dome fossil. Fear it.

RSMldji.png

Noooo!! They are doomed now, how on earth will they beat any more gym leaders?!

This experiment could, and most likely will, end tragically.
Reply 11
Noooo!! They are doomed now, how on earth will they beat any more gym leaders?!

This experiment could, and most likely will, end tragically.

It's going to be really, really difficult :lol:

It's a battle to get back to the pokemon centre, but the community decided it was worth the risk of potentially releasing another pokemon to get back our lord and saviour the Helix fossil.

QhA6Cc8.jpg

People have made a strategy page dedicated to getting past this, much like was done with the dreaded ledges.
So much chaos, it's wonderful to watch :colone:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
It's going to be really, really difficult :lol:

It's a battle to get back to the pokemon centre, but the community decided it was worth the risk of potentially releasing another pokemon to get back our lord and saviour the Helix fossil.

QhA6Cc8.jpg

People have made a strategy page dedicated to getting past this, much like was done with the dreaded ledges.

Haha, oh God the rocket hideout! That's going to be an absolute nightmare.... I'm curious as to how long this will last, there will probably be a stage when it's popularity dies down enough for a small group to effectively control the character. That would be interesting to see
Reply 14
Haha, oh God the rocket hideout! That's going to be an absolute nightmare.... I'm curious as to how long this will last, there will probably be a stage when it's popularity dies down enough for a small group to effectively control the character. That would be interesting to see

In theory, it will be completed. One day. :moon:

At the moment it's at a scary difficult bit. The Helix fossil has been collected (praise be) but it's unknown yet if there have been any casualties. Slowly battling back to the Rocket Base now.

We must trust in the helix fossil to see us through, for the cave is dark and full of terrors.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
New system for controlling has been added :h:

Inputs are now vote-based over a 5 second period (working on finding a better timespan).
You can type buttons as usual and also add numbers to them to increase the number of times that button is pressed.
You can add one to the other like left2down2 to move down twice and left twice.

Will be interesting to see if this will help us escape Celadon city at long last. Numbers have stayed at around 50'000 people at any point entering commands, and the hive mind has really struggled with these floor tiles. The maker of the bot has suggested it might just be turned on for difficult sections like this, and turned off usually. It's stopped the start menu spamming though.

Most people have voted that they don't like it though.

It's looking less and less likely that the Rocket Base will ever be overcome.

UN4wURN.jpg

Update:

The new system has proved disastrous. People are just spamming 'start x 9' which causes the bot to endlessly push start. It looks like it's all over.

Update 2:

The new system has been disabled, looks like progress is back on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Hah so the experiment got more interesting.

anarchydemometer.png

They've added a bar that you can see in the picture above, along with two new in chat commands: Democracy & Anarchy. Whenever a user posts Anarchy or Democracy, based on the number of people in the stream, the bar moves to one side of the other.

When the bar has moved over to Democracy, the system of voting on the next action comes in. When the bar moves over to Anarchy, the game takes all commands.

Both systems have their merits. For really fine and tricky stuff like the Team Rocket maze, the queued system works. It's really slow and arduous though, so it's great that it can be shed for stuff like the Safari zone.

I'm happy to announce that we've now made it past the floor tiles and are currently battling for the Lift Key! :h:
Reply 17
Progress has been slow but steady after escaping the Rocket Base. The meme 'Start9' has spread really rapidly across the internet and has become a rallying form of protest against democracy, which is slow and 'boring'. At first people wondered if it would be banned by the twitch staff, but soon enough they to were joining in with the trolling form of protest over democratic process.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your Start9s ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

twitchanarchy.png 1ef.png1ef.png

Day 6 added to the OP, it's actually looking like it will be possible to complete. :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
When they used dig to get out of the Team Rocket base without the masterball :lol:

And the silph scope...just remembered that :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
This is horrific.

Quick Reply

Latest