The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Chemistry Workload.

Hi, I've received an offer of AAA from Imperial to study chemistry and although the reputation is amazing I've only ever spoken with one Imperial chemist and they said they hated their time there due to the high workload. I also have an offer from Durham which I may firm instead due to the little support given at Imperial and allegedly militant-style approach to learning. I feel I would do a lot better if I enjoyed myself at the institution I study at. I was wondering if there any Imperial chemistry students who can give their two cents worth when it comes to this topic because I really don't know what to do :confused::confused: and don't want to base my university on only one person's experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Durham isn't going to be an easy ride and you're going to have people who didn't enjoy their course everywhere, so I wouldn't take that as a big factor. I'm coming into university with expectations of high workload anyway.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I did Biochemistry at Imperial, but a lot of my friends did Chemistry. Yes, the workload is quiet heavy, but from what I've heard, you get a lot more practical experience at Imperial than at most other universities. This experience is very well regarded by employers in industry, as well as universities if you apply for postgraduate studies.

Having said that, heavy workload doesn't necessarily mean you can't have fun. As long as you are well-organised and disciplined, you should be fine. You may occasionally have to prioritise and compromise on your social life around deadlines and exam time, but on the whole it isn't too difficult to do well while keeping up with your hobbies and social life.

I, personally, had an amazing time at Imperial. I loved living in an amazing part of London. The work was challenging, but I'm a very hard working person and I found it very rewarding.

Hope this helped! Good luck with your decision :smile:
Original post by I love shopping
I did Biochemistry at Imperial, but a lot of my friends did Chemistry. Yes, the workload is quiet heavy, but from what I've heard, you get a lot more practical experience at Imperial than at most other universities. This experience is very well regarded by employers in industry, as well as universities if you apply for postgraduate studies.

Having said that, heavy workload doesn't necessarily mean you can't have fun. As long as you are well-organised and disciplined, you should be fine. You may occasionally have to prioritise and compromise on your social life around deadlines and exam time, but on the whole it isn't too difficult to do well while keeping up with your hobbies and social life.

I, personally, had an amazing time at Imperial. I loved living in an amazing part of London. The work was challenging, but I'm a very hard working person and I found it very rewarding.

Hope this helped! Good luck with your decision :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

That does make sense, I didn't want to base my university choice on just one person's opinion so it was beneficial to see it from a different perspective. I guess time management really is the key and Imperial seems like a great university it would seem a shame to miss out based on just one person's bad experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending