The Student Room Group

CCEA additional/further maths for an oldcodger...:-)

I'm curious, my son can do his UK GCSE higher maths exam at the end of year 11 and then additional maths (the ccea board N Ireland is changing the name this year to Further maths) at the end of year 12 so if all goes well he will have 2 GCSE maths and then begin the normal 2 years of A-Level maths. The additional/further qualification is like a bridge between GCSE and A-Level and is via the ccea exam board.

Does the English maths exam boards set-up have an equivalent "in between" type qualification.

FYI the additional/further qualification contain

Course Content

The course is divided into two sections, namely Pure Mathematics and Mechanics and Statistics. Topics covered in each section are detailed below.

Pure Mathematics --- Mechanics and Statistics
Algebra ---- Linear Motion
Matrices --- Summarising Data
Trigonometry --- Newton's Law
Logarithms --- Time Series
Differentiation --- Equilibrium and Motion
Integration --- Bivariate Analysis
Moments of Forces
Probability

Does edexcel or aqa etc have similar?

I'm a 50+ year oldcodger learning maths to help his son and doing GCSE higher maths at the end of this year with ccea and then "hopefully" A-Level edexcel. But should I follow my son's school idea and do as well as the GCSE higher maths the additional/further maths (mentioned above) or go straight to A-Level. I want to stay a few years ahead of my son so I can help him as best as I can.......thanks for any advice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by silverpuma
I'm curious, my son can do his UK GCSE higher maths exam at the end of year 11 and then additional maths (the ccea board is changing the name this year to Further maths) at the end of year 12 so if all goes well he will have 2 GCSE maths and then begin 2 years of A-Level maths. The additional/further qualification is like a bridge between GCSE and A-Level and is via the ccea exam board. Does the English set-up have an equivalent "in between" type qualification.

FYI the additional/further qualification contain

Course Content

The course is divided into two sections, namely Pure Mathematics and Mechanics and Statistics. Topics covered in each section are detailed below.

Pure Mathematics --- Mechanics and Statistics
Algebra ---- Linear Motion
Matrices --- Summarising Data
Trigonometry --- Newton's Law
Logarithms --- Time Series
Differentiation --- Equilibrium and Motion
Integration --- Bivariate Analysis
Moments of Forces
Probability

Does edexcel or aqa etc have similar?

I'm a 50+ year oldcodger learning maths to help his son and doing GCSE higher maths at the end of this year with ccea and then "hopefully" A-Level edexcel. But should I follow my son's school idea and do the additional/further maths (mentioned above) or go straight to A-Level. I want to stay a few years ahead of my son so I can help him as best as I can.......thanks for any advice.

There are

OCR Additional Mathematics
AQA Level 2 in Further Mathematics

There may be others

Given your situation I would say the OCR one
Reply 2
The additional maths isnt really required if maths comes naturally to you. You should be alright by getting straight into AS/A-level. I can say its pretty easy but takes a while to get your head around but if you have alot of spare time i would recommend it. I'm in year 10 so i reckon you should be okay if you have a logical mind. English setup doesnt have a similar qualification mainly because there's not much context and possibilities with it. I would say it is quite fitting as english is a bit of bull**** of a subject. I wouldn't recommend your son missing a year of As level to do further gcse maths. The preferred route would be to do GCSE maths then go onto do AS/A- Level maths and Further maths AS/A-level or Advanced maths.
Reply 3
Certainly in the Edexcel Board just about 100% of the "Assumed Knowledge" to start the As/A2 is in the GCSE. Incidentally all the syllabus and stuff with that level of detail is online to download so you can check it out. Additional or Further Maths def not needed to start A level. (Speaking as an old codger myself).

And yes all exam boards carry all the main topics you listed, at AS / A2 anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Old_Simon
Certainly in the Edexcel Board just about 100% of the "Assumed Knowledge" to start the As/A2 is in the GCSE. Incidentally all the syllabus and stuff with that level of detail is online to download so you can check it out. Additional or Further Maths def not needed to start A level. (Speaking as an old codger myself).

And yes all exam boards carry all the main topics you listed, at AS / A2 anyway.

ahhhh its good to hear from another oldcodger....:smile: Yes I closed my business early due to ill health so I have loads of time to study. I'm amazed because I began last year just helping my 12 year old son with his maths and began to listen to a few maths videos on youtube. I failed my 11+ (over 40 year ago!!!!!) got zero academic qualifications at secondary school and now I am hooked on maths, I love it.

I am thinking I will just do my GCSE higher and then go straight to A-Level and not take the additional maths as I have the free time to take it slowly and get things well ingrained to this old silver head....

Quick Reply

Latest