The Student Room Group

4th A level option: Physics or German?

Hi, I am currently choosing my A levels for which I am set on studying maths, further maths, computer science, and an additional 4th. I can't decide whether doing Physics in addition to tthe subjects mentioned above will increase the risk of me not getting the best grades possible as I currently find physics quite challenging. For example, it is much more likely for me to achieve A*s and A's if I focus solely on 3 subjects but I'm afraid that my grades with drop to B's and potentially C's if I end up picking an additional difficult subject like physics.

From what I've heard, Physics is seen as a more "prestigious" subject than a Modern Foreign Language and im also afraid that simply not picking Physics will close up many career and uni course opportunities and im not sure how much of a deal breaker that is as I currently don't know what I want to be studying in the future . I would like to study something Maths orientated and I am currently looking towards Computer Science and Software Development.

As I would like to do a 4th subject, I'm looking at taking German as I do enjoy it at GCSE's and I'm predicted a high grade on it thanks to the efforts of my teacher and also the fact that I enjoy studying German. However, I don't know if i should exit my comfort zone and apply to study physics at A level as I feel like it will be more beneficial for me in the long run although knowing a language is beneficial in itself as well. I also think that taking German will be a "calmer" subject compared to physics which I think will allow me to lead a not so stressed life in the next 2 years.

What do you think is the better choice when looking at applying to potential Russel Group Universities such as Oxford, Warwick, Durham, and Imperial? As universities only really consider your top 3 A level results, do they care about the subjects those grades are in?
Reply 1
Original post by dariyan0002
Hi, I am currently choosing my A levels for which I am set on studying maths, further maths, computer science, and an additional 4th. I can't decide whether doing Physics in addition to tthe subjects mentioned above will increase the risk of me not getting the best grades possible as I currently find physics quite challenging. For example, it is much more likely for me to achieve A*s and A's if I focus solely on 3 subjects but I'm afraid that my grades with drop to B's and potentially C's if I end up picking an additional difficult subject like physics.

From what I've heard, Physics is seen as a more "prestigious" subject than a Modern Foreign Language and im also afraid that simply not picking Physics will close up many career and uni course opportunities and im not sure how much of a deal breaker that is as I currently don't know what I want to be studying in the future . I would like to study something Maths orientated and I am currently looking towards Computer Science and Software Development.

As I would like to do a 4th subject, I'm looking at taking German as I do enjoy it at GCSE's and I'm predicted a high grade on it thanks to the efforts of my teacher and also the fact that I enjoy studying German. However, I don't know if i should exit my comfort zone and apply to study physics at A level as I feel like it will be more beneficial for me in the long run although knowing a language is beneficial in itself as well. I also think that taking German will be a "calmer" subject compared to physics which I think will allow me to lead a not so stressed life in the next 2 years.

What do you think is the better choice when looking at applying to potential Russel Group Universities such as Oxford, Warwick, Durham, and Imperial? As universities only really consider your top 3 A level results, do they care about the subjects those grades are in?

What do you plan to study at university? Or are you not entirely sure yet?
Physics is not seen as "more prestigious" whatsoever. Also its probably the easier option of the two as a fourth subject as it has synergy with your maths A-levels (mechanics content). Additionally language A-levels require a lot of ongoing work to keep on top of all the grammar and vocab - you can't "cram" for these. Maths and FM likewise have similar demands and so you will probably find yourself more busy day to day with it.

However if you don't like physics and have no interest in pursuing engineering or physics at degree level then there's not much benefit in taking it. Unless you really love German though I probably would just suggest not taking a 4th subject at all.
Maths, Further Maths, German and Computer Science would be fine for Computer Science or German or even Maths or Economics but you might not be able to do Engineering!!!

Also, if you do Maths and Further Maths, you're expected to offer 2 more A-Levels as well, so a total of 4A-Levels. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest