The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering - Uni - Help?

Hello there friends,
I really would like to go into a good Uni to study Civil Engineering. I don't know what final A Level grades i will get, it could be anywhere from AAB - CCC. Does anyone know where is best or have any first hand experience at a good uni for this course? I understand Swansea, Cardiff and Loughborough are good Unis with reasonable requirements.

Any help will be amazing! :smile:
Thanks x
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HelpSch
Hello there friends,
I really would like to go into a good Uni to study Civil Engineering. I don't know what final A Level grades i will get, it could be anywhere from AAB - CCC. Does anyone know where is best or have any first hand experience at a good uni for this course? I understand Swansea, Cardiff and Loughborough are good Unis with reasonable requirements.

Any help will be amazing! :smile:
Thanks x

Hello!
I take it you're in year 12? Have you been to, or are planning to go to any open days coming soon?
Reply 2
I am, correct. I have been to Cardiff open day and to Bath but for a course taster day. Though these Unis have high requirement?
Reply 3
Also, coerces that are 3 years require less than 4 year courses. What is best? is one valued much more than the other or could i be successful with both?
Original post by HelpSch
I am, correct. I have been to Cardiff open day and to Bath but for a course taster day. Though these Unis have high requirement?

Cool, recently for civil engineering, Cardiff has become AAA instead of AAB, Bristoal from what I gather is A*AA? Check on the website for that!

Although I know that for Cardiff if you make a firm choice then you might have the leeway of dropping one grade and still be accepted.

Original post by HelpSch
Also, coerces that are 3 years require less than 4 year courses. What is best? is one valued much more than the other or could i be successful with both?

Depends on the university but the 3 year (BEng) shouldn't be much different than the 4 year (MEng) as pretty much the first 2 years should be identical and so you should be able to transfer in between the 2. I believe you need 60% average for the 3 years to be able to progress onto the 4 year MEng course anyway.
Reply 5
Some of the league tables are outdated i understand so some info is wrong. Wow, only 60%? doesn't sound so tough>
Original post by HelpSch
Some of the league tables are outdated i understand so some info is wrong. Wow, only 60%? doesn't sound so tough>

What do you mean by outdated?
Requirements should be on the uni websites that you're interested in :smile:

Well, consider that the grade system is different in uni, perhaps if you work well enough and understand the topics then you'll be up there.
70%+ is a 1st,
60% is a 2:1,
50% is a 2:2 and
40% is a pass (3rd)
Reply 7
That doesn't seem to difficult to reach in a subject of interest!:smile: Thanks
Original post by HelpSch
That doesn't seem to difficult to reach in a subject of interest!:smile: Thanks

Yes, it's not that bad but a few things that might cause downfall even if it's a course you're interested in:

- Lack of preparation for a test/exam will bring you down

- Not completely understanding the principles or what you're using/why you're using it and how to apply certain ideas will also waste time in an exam and lead to wrong results.

- Error carried forward may not always apply depending on the situation/module, and so you might find yourself making a silly error causing the whole design to be wrong, so then you need experience in knowing if the numbers look about right :smile:

- Reports/labs/coursework can sometimes get subjective or your quality might be poorer than doing calculations so such modules may not always be the highest of marks. Likewise for fieldwork which accuracy is sometimes difficult to get in the time limits as you're new to the skill

Quick Reply

Latest