The Student Room Group

Civil engineering

I wanted to know what does civil engineering looks like at uni because I am thinking of changing from aerospace to civil. Will it be good choice because I am really stuck?
Hi there,

Civil engineering is a very broad subject. You'd be doing a lot of different kinds of subjects including foundations, drainage and geography, structures, mechanical maths, building environment (which looks at things such as temperature, lighting etc). You may be working with architects to design structures or other engineering to calculate settlements in the grounds or designing pathways, utilities etc. Essentially, civil engineering has a lot to it and you will get a taste for lots of different things.

Every university has their own way of doing things but in my course civil has been a mix in terms of assignments. I have had a few exams which involve both mathematics and short essay answers. I've also had subjects such as management, which looks into the law side of engineering, that require reports and essays. In have also had quite a few group design projects which involve broader building design and detailed beam structure where you will have to look into materials and loadings and represent that in an appropriate way.

Civil is pretty different from aero but does provide you a great way of getting a broad engineering sense and also allows you to go into a lot of different roles after university which are not exclusive to just civil. I would recommend having a look on some university websites and comparing the courses specifically to see which more takes your fancy.

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Civil engineering is a very broad subject. You'd be doing a lot of different kinds of subjects including foundations, drainage and geography, structures, mechanical maths, building environment (which looks at things such as temperature, lighting etc). You may be working with architects to design structures or other engineering to calculate settlements in the grounds or designing pathways, utilities etc. Essentially, civil engineering has a lot to it and you will get a taste for lots of different things.

Every university has their own way of doing things but in my course civil has been a mix in terms of assignments. I have had a few exams which involve both mathematics and short essay answers. I've also had subjects such as management, which looks into the law side of engineering, that require reports and essays. In have also had quite a few group design projects which involve broader building design and detailed beam structure where you will have to look into materials and loadings and represent that in an appropriate way.

Civil is pretty different from aero but does provide you a great way of getting a broad engineering sense and also allows you to go into a lot of different roles after university which are not exclusive to just civil. I would recommend having a look on some university websites and comparing the courses specifically to see which more takes your fancy.

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Ok thank you

Quick Reply

Latest