The Student Room Group

Too Late to Get All A's at AS?

Hi all, hate to bother you all with this but...

At A-Level, I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History. I'm beginning to panic about my AS level exams (I have 10 - including a Chemistry practical), I'm unfamiliar with much of the content and am just starting to revise now, but my first exam is on May 8 (practical) and my last is on 20th June, with Biology (My exam board is CCEA). The issue is, I practically need all A's as I am dead set on studying Medicine and my dream would be to do it at UCL (Hence why I did History as opposed to something like Physics or Psychology). I am really worried I have left it too late to secure the grades I need and I am really none the wiser on how to revise properly, being the kind of guy who breezed through GCSE's with little to none but now struggling on how to adapt to the demand of A-Levels. My main issue is with Biology and I genuinely have no idea how to prepare for the Chem practical - My school has had horrible results with practicals. Over 80% of the upper sixths doing Chem are repeating and doing it with us in the Summer!!

So do you guys have any advice? Is it really too late?

Any help is much appreciated!
Hey! I'm exactly the same except my empas start on the 1st May!:frown: & im doing economics instead of history
Reply 2
I'm in the same situation as you, only difference is that I don't do chemistry so I am planning on taking a foundation course.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to focus in exam techniques and making a suitable revision timetable (with 10 minutes breaks between sessions and free periods).

Do a lot of past papers, for practical test you just need to have a good knowledge of the topic the practical is based on and know what you are doing at all time throughout the practical exam.
Reply 3
I applies for medicine and started around the beginning of March, so you're lot too far behind. But you should start now.

I made flashcards of the material, then did every past paper 5/6 times and made flashcards of the mark schemes. Went through them every dinner with my friends/ at home with my parents. That way it can be broken down into small 20 minute sections.

History, I made minds maps and went through them every night before bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StephenNaulls
I applies for medicine and started around the beginning of March, so you're lot too far behind. But you should start now.

I made flashcards of the material, then did every past paper 5/6 times and made flashcards of the mark schemes. Went through them every dinner with my friends/ at home with my parents. That way it can be broken down into small 20 minute sections.

History, I made minds maps and went through them every night before bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Stephen, would you say you knew all the content well for your exams before you did the flashcards and past papers? Did you do practic exam papers too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending