The Student Room Group

Uni halls

Hi today I moved out of my accommodation and into another the first one was way too far away from everything whereas the one I’ve moved into is really close to everything. I came back home with my dad as I have appointments and I’m going back tomorrow so I didn’t meet any of my flatmates just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I meet them as I don’t want to be making my tea and for them to think who the hell is this as I’m moving in late
Original post by miawez123
Hi today I moved out of my accommodation and into another the first one was way too far away from everything whereas the one I’ve moved into is really close to everything. I came back home with my dad as I have appointments and I’m going back tomorrow so I didn’t meet any of my flatmates just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I meet them as I don’t want to be making my tea and for them to think who the hell is this as I’m moving in late

Hi @miawez123

I would suggest trying to get involved with a flat group chat - which I'm sure your new flat mates will have set up. If you see one of them in passing in the kitchen, try and ask them if you could be added to the group chat. Or if there isn't one already, maybe suggest making one. Then you can drop a message into the chat introducing yourself and that you're new. This should hopefully allow you to tell all your flat mates at once.

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Buy some cakes or biscuits and either leave a note on the table saying 'from your new housemate' with your name, or just knock on their door and introduce yourself. They'll want to meet you too :smile:
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Buy some cakes or biscuits and either leave a note on the table saying 'from your new housemate' with your name, or just knock on their door and introduce yourself. They'll want to meet you too :smile:

PRSOM

@miawez123

Hope you will be happier in your new accommodation : )

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi Miawez123,

I’m Pip, a 3rd year TV Production student. Honestly, I think running into them in a communal space (Eg. Kitchen) is probably the most authentic uni way to meet them! People swap accommodation all the time so I doubt they’ll be too shocked. One of my flatmates moved half way through the year.

If not you could try find them on social media 🙂

Good luck!

~Pip

Hey there @miawez123 !

Honestly don't worry, just explain you've moved in late because you've changed accommodations and introduce yourself. Then you could also ask if they have any groupchats going on that you could be added to and you'll gradually start hearing about plans they've got that you can join in with. If they do walk in whilst you're making your tea then that's all you need to do!

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi @miawez123,

It’s totally fine to be a-bit late to move in, you can still get chatting to your new flat mates regardless :smile:

Whenever you are making food in the kitchen, someone walks in, make the first move and say hello! You can ask the classic questions like “What are you studying?” “What year are you in?” “Have you met the others yet?” And then you can ask about making a group chat! You can then plan to meet everyone else in the flat that way, as they’re probably just as eager as yourself to make friends. Even make a joke about being a late-comer and have a laugh about it - it doesn’t need to be a scary thing! Once you find some common ground between you all, you can plan something to do outside of the flat.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Hi there,
My best advice is be yourself and don't feel like moving in late is detrimental to your chance of making friends with your flatmates. I had a couple of people move into my first year uni flat late in the term due to room swaps and we definitely welcomed them! It's not uncommon for people to move in later than the check in date.

Things you can do to make friends with your flatmates:
- Ask them if they want to go to any uni events with you
- Do your bit with flat chores
- See if they'd like to get together for a games night

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending