The Student Room Group

How many references for a book review?

As the title says, how many references would you use for a book review. I'm doing one where I'm evaluating a book based upon another sociologists theory, so the only two I can think of using are the two books in question, would that be enough?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by Stephanie_12
As the title says, how many references would you use for a book review. I'm doing one where I'm evaluating a book based upon another sociologists theory, so the only two I can think of using are the two books in question, would that be enough?

It depends how long your review is supposed to be, I would definitely try to find more than 2. Probably one reference for every few hundred words at least.
Reply 3
Original post by cole-slaw
It depends how long your review is supposed to be, I would definitely try to find more than 2. Probably one reference for every few hundred words at least.

Thank you for answering, my word limit is 1500 words, my review is analyzing a book based upon C Wright Mill's definition sociology so I've been basing it on those two and quoting from them.
Reply 4
Original post by Stephanie_12
Thank you for answering, my word limit is 1500 words, my review is analyzing a book based upon C Wright Mill's definition sociology so I've been basing it on those two and quoting from them.

It's probably too late now, but I did a Book review on Mills definition of sociology.
I used about 4/5 (I can't remember exactly) references. I'd say 4-6 is a good safe bet.
Reply 5
For that word limit I would probably reference 10 or so. Doesn't just have to be books though!

1500 words is a paragraph to me these days :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending