The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2: Physics at Work ~9th June 2014

Poll

How did you find the Unit 2 physics exam (Edexcel- A level 9th June 2014) ?

I've created this thread for the Unit 2 exam, as there doesn't seem to be a thread on it. Feel free to discuss anything regarding this exam, such as how you are revising if you have already started. :cool:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I've created this thread for the Unit 2 exam, as there doesn't seem to be a thread on it. Feel free to discuss anything regarding this exam, such as how you are revising if you have already started. :cool:

I have done this paper last year
Good luck to you all :smile:
Do you know if we need to know the frequencies/wavelengths for the EM spectrum?
Do you know if we need to know the frequencies/wavelengths for the EM spectrum?

Yes you do, last year a question came up albeit 1 mark but it came up, "What does this frequency belong too?" also the wavelengths are necessary as they usually ask questions on colour wavelengths such as blue and red.
Original post by zachariou1
Yes you do, last year a question came up albeit 1 mark but it came up, "What does this frequency belong too?" also the wavelengths are necessary as they usually ask questions on colour wavelengths such as blue and red.

Oh, I didn't know that thanks :redface: .When revising for GCSEs, I would go through the specification and use it as a checklist, but the Edexcel physics spec doesn't seem to be as specific (and vague in some areas), so do you know of any online checklist/resource I could use instead?
Oh, I didn't know that thanks :redface: .When revising for GCSEs, I would go through the specification and use it as a checklist, but the Edexcel physics spec doesn't seem to be as specific (and vague in some areas), so do you know of any online checklist/resource I could use instead?

I agree completely, but sadly I don't know anywhere to get a more in depth spec.
lets get revising!! im going to post questions from the edexcel papers on here. best explanations will get reeeeeepppppppp.
2014-04-14_194952.pngshow your working out in the form of a spoiler. best (or first answer for calculation questions) answer gets reppppp.
Original post by sabphysics
2014-04-14_194952.pngshow your working out in the form of a spoiler. best (or first answer for calculation questions) answer gets reppppp.

Spoiler

Spoiler

that is correct!
2014-04-14_211439.pngnew question!!
Reply 11
Can anyone explain stopping potential to me please?
Original post by Monica96
Can anyone explain stopping potential to me please?

Stopping potential is the potential difference that just stops all emitted electrons - it allows the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons to be calculated.

This is where using τ\tau instead of π\pi to measure radians would be better. Then you could very easily convert between phase and path difference by swapping τ\tau and λ\lambda.

Unfortunately, chance has it we are stuck with π\pi.
Reply 14
Original post by pinkgorilla
Stopping potential is the potential difference that just stops all emitted electrons - it allows the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons to be calculated.

Thank you :smile: Are there any important experiments we should know about stopping potential?
Original post by Monica96
Thank you :smile: Are there any important experiments we should know about stopping potential?

I'm not too sure, but I would advice just being aware of the whole photocell experiment and how it works.
Reply 16
I'm not too sure, but I would advice just being aware of the whole photocell experiment and how it works.

OK thanks. I dislike 6 mark experiment questions :frown:

do you mean the photoelectric effect?
2014-04-14_221900.pnghelp?
do you mean the photoelectric effect?

Basically, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending