Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Unit 2: Physics at Work ~9th June 2014 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Unit 2 physics exam (Edexcel- A level 9th June 2014) ?
    GCE- Very difficult
    2.00%
    GCE- Quite difficult
    4.00%
    GCE- Medium
    29.33%
    GCE- Quite easy
    34.67%
    GCE- Very easy
    12.00%
    IAL- Very difficult
    2.67%
    IAL- Quite difficult
    6.00%
    IAL- Medium
    4.67%
    IAL- Quite easy
    1.33%
    IAL- Very easy
    3.33%

ReputationRep:
    I've created this thread for the Unit 2 exam, as there doesn't seem to be a thread on it. Feel free to discuss anything regarding this exam, such as how you are revising if you have already started. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    I've created this thread for the Unit 2 exam, as there doesn't seem to be a thread on it. Feel free to discuss anything regarding this exam, such as how you are revising if you have already started. :cool:
    I have done this paper last year
    Good luck to you all

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if we need to know the frequencies/wavelengths for the EM spectrum?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if we need to know the frequencies/wavelengths for the EM spectrum?
    Yes you do, last year a question came up albeit 1 mark but it came up, "What does this frequency belong too?" also the wavelengths are necessary as they usually ask questions on colour wavelengths such as blue and red.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zachariou1)
    Yes you do, last year a question came up albeit 1 mark but it came up, "What does this frequency belong too?" also the wavelengths are necessary as they usually ask questions on colour wavelengths such as blue and red.
    Oh, I didn't know that thanks .When revising for GCSEs, I would go through the specification and use it as a checklist, but the Edexcel physics spec doesn't seem to be as specific (and vague in some areas), so do you know of any online checklist/resource I could use instead?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't know that thanks .When revising for GCSEs, I would go through the specification and use it as a checklist, but the Edexcel physics spec doesn't seem to be as specific (and vague in some areas), so do you know of any online checklist/resource I could use instead?
    I agree completely, but sadly I don't know anywhere to get a more in depth spec.

ReputationRep:
    lets get revising!! im going to post questions from the edexcel papers on here. best explanations will get reeeeeepppppppp.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2014-04-14_194952.png
Views: 1688
Size:  25.8 KBshow your working out in the form of a spoiler. best (or first answer for calculation questions) answer gets reppppp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabphysics)
Size:  25.8 KBshow your working out in the form of a spoiler. best (or first answer for calculation questions) answer gets reppppp.
    Spoiler:
    Show

The wave is in phase so the path difference equals n times lambda (whole number of wavelengths). A whole cycle would be 2pi radians so pi/2 divided 2pi gives 1/4 so the answer is D (1/4 lambda)..?

Good idea btw

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

The wave is in phase so the path difference equals n times lambda (whole number of wavelengths). A whole cycle would be 2pi radians so pi/2 divided 2pi gives 1/4 so the answer is D (1/4 lambda)..?

Good idea btw
    that is correct!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2014-04-14_211439.png
Views: 1141
Size:  24.1 KBnew question!!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain stopping potential to me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monica96)
    Can anyone explain stopping potential to me please?
    Stopping potential is the potential difference that just stops all emitted electrons - it allows the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons to be calculated.

ReputationRep:
    This is where using \tau instead of \pi to measure radians would be better. Then you could very easily convert between phase and path difference by swapping \tau and \lambda.

Unfortunately, chance has it we are stuck with \pi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkgorilla)
    Stopping potential is the potential difference that just stops all emitted electrons - it allows the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons to be calculated.
    Thank you Are there any important experiments we should know about stopping potential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monica96)
    Thank you Are there any important experiments we should know about stopping potential?
    I'm not too sure, but I would advice just being aware of the whole photocell experiment and how it works.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure, but I would advice just being aware of the whole photocell experiment and how it works.
    OK thanks. I dislike 6 mark experiment questions

ReputationRep:
    do you mean the photoelectric effect?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2014-04-14_221900.png
Views: 1332
Size:  12.7 KBhelp?

ReputationRep:
    do you mean the photoelectric effect?
    Basically, yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.