The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2: Physics at Work ~9th June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewisallows
Has anybody got a solid definition for amplitude I can learn?

The maximum displacement from equilibrium position

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! Could someone help me with part b please. Thanks!
Original post by yasminh118
Hey! Could someone help me with part b please. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401832786.582421.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thanks! That makes sense! I wonder if you could help me with this one too, I don't understand why the answer is B and why it can't be C :s-smilie: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401833620.940895.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Oh thanks! That makes sense! I wonder if you could help me with this one too, I don't understand why the answer is B and why it can't be C :s-smilie: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401833620.940895.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, could you explain why the point of rest on the above question is the crest of the wave?!

And with your question I'd say it's due to the fact that reflection is not linked to the angle of contact - all waves will have at least a small amount of energy reflected back whenever they reach a boundary. That would be my answer anyway, can't say for sure if it's correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not sure but I think that at angles less than the critical angle, both reflection and refraction occur.

Someone confirm this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lunarr
Hey, could you explain why the point of rest on the above question is the crest of the wave?!

And with your question I'd say it's due to the fact that reflection is not linked to the angle of contact - all waves will have at least a small amount of energy reflected back whenever they reach a boundary. That would be my answer anyway, can't say for sure if it's correct.

Sorry I have no idea why the point of rest is at the crest :s-smilie:
So you're saying that waves will always be reflected slightly when they reach a boundary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jtbteddy
Im not sure but I think that at angles less than the critical angle, both reflection and refraction occur.

Someone confirm this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're right! I never knew that but I found this online.

For any angle of incidence less than the critical angle, part of the incident light will be transmitted and part will be reflected. The normal incidence reflection coefficient can be calculated from the indices of refraction. For non-normal incidence, the transmission and reflection coefficients can be calculated from the Fresnel equations.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/totint.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lunarr

Original post by jtbteddy

Someone confirm this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I have no idea why the point of rest is at the crest :s-smilie:
So you're saying that waves will always be reflected slightly when they reach a boundary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought if the angle is less than the critical angle then light is just refracted. I'm not sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked my physics teacher this the other day and when the angle of incidence is smaller than the critical angle, most of the light is transmitted but some also gets reflected. However, he said that that there was no explanation for this which scientists agreed upon even at a quantum level...That seems like a really cruel question to put in
Reply 189
With Electricity questions, when they ask you to explain, how do you know if they want you to explain using a description of the electrons vibrating faster etc or through use of equations?
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I asked my physics teacher this the other day and when the angle of incidence is smaller than the critical angle, most of the light is transmitted but some also gets reflected. However, he said that that there was no explanation for this which scientists agreed upon even at a quantum level...That seems like a really cruel question to put in

Ohh that makes sense, I was never told that before!
Original post by Catb97
With Electricity questions, when they ask you to explain, how do you know if they want you to explain using a description of the electrons vibrating faster etc or through use of equations?

any examples?
Reply 192
any examples?

June 2013

Q13b
The student applies a force to the wire and measures the new length. He calculates the increase in the resistance to be 0.035 Ω. He measures the increase in resistance
and finds it to be 0.070 Ω.
The student suggests that the difference between these two values is because the
cross-sectional area of the wire changes under strain.
Explain why a change in cross-sectional area would cause this difference.

How would I know whether they want me to explain the equation R=pl/A or the actually ion lattice description?
Reply 193
Can someone describe an experiment to measure the resistivity of a piece of wire?
And then how you would use the equation R=pl/A to apply to the graph you would draw?
Reply 194
Explain why, when using an Ohmmeter, the resistance of the resistor should not be measured when it is in a circuit.
Original post by PhRose
Explain why, when using an Ohmmeter, the resistance of the resistor should not be measured when it is in a circuit.

An ohmmeter produces its voltage, measures the current passing through and then calculates the resitance of a component, so if the component is in a circuit, then the ohmmeter will take an inaccurate reading (due to the extra current from the power supply passing through it). I think that's the reason, but there might be some others
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 196
Does anyone have a good resource for the Waves and Photons stuff? I'm going over electron volts and it's not making proper sense to me.
Reply 197
Original post by BP_Tranquility
An ohmmeter produces its voltage, measures the current passing through and then calculates the resitance of a component, so if the component is in a circuit, then the ohmmeter will take an inaccurate reading (due to the extra current from the power supply passing through it). I think that's the reason, but there might be some others

thanks a lot
but one question; does the Ohmmeter produce its own voltage?
Reply 198
Original post by jay_em
Does anyone have a good resource for the Waves and Photons stuff? I'm going over electron volts and it's not making proper sense to me.

try CGP
Original post by PhRose
thanks a lot
but one question; does the Ohmmeter produce its own voltage?

Yes, it produces a small voltage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending