The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2: Physics at Work ~9th June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Missyyy
Could someone please explain this. Its June 2010 Q3

It's like vectors, you are looking for pairs that flow in opposite directions to each other but have the same line of action - don't quote me there. This can be done easily by realising the pairs in C are almost identical and they flow in opposite directions. Visually, it is quite easy. I can't really back it up in theory, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
It's like vectors, you are looking for pairs that flow in opposite directions to each other but have the same line of action - don't quote me there. This can be done easily by realising the pairs in C are almost identical and they flow in opposite directions. Visually, it is quite easy. I can't really back it up in theory, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

right! thanks :biggrin:
And Q10? same paper
Original post by Missyyy
right! thanks :biggrin:
And Q10? same paper

This one was tricky. It is really asking the question 'at which current do both voltages of the components add up to 9V' you will see when current is 0.3, the graphs give 3V and 6V, adding to the 9V of the battery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
This one was tricky. It is really asking the question 'at which current do both voltages of the components add up to 9V' you will see when current is 0.3, the graphs give 3V and 6V, adding to the 9V of the battery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks! :smile:
how do you do Q4 Section A on January 2013!? I can't get my head around it yet i'm comfortable doing other similar questions.
Reply 385
Original post by AG Singh
how do you do Q4 Section A on January 2013!? I can't get my head around it yet i'm comfortable doing other similar questions.

Angle of incidence: 90°-55° = 35°
Angle of refraction = 90°

Refractive index for air to glass = sin r / sin i, because you're measuring how dense the glass is and not how optically dense the air is.

sin90° / sin35° = 1.743.
Original post by Karoel
Angle of incidence: 90°-55° = 35°
Angle of refraction = 90°

Refractive index for air to glass = sin r / sin i, because you're measuring how dense the glass is and not how optically dense the air is.

sin90° / sin35° = 1.743.

Ah missed the calculation of the 35° ​Thank you
Guys, does anyone know if it's possible to continue to A2 but doing an AS subject as a retake?
Reply 388
Original post by ThatGirlx
Can someone explain to me the photoelectric effect in the simplest way possible

I wasn't present for any of the lessons going over this so I have no clue what it's about - and it comes up every single year, great

I especially don't understand the equations
1) E = hf = hc/wavelength

What is E? I know h is Planck's constant but what is E?

2) eV = 1/2mv2

Is this talking about the kinetic energy of an electron?

3) f = work function / h

I have no idea what this equation is about

4) hf = 1/2mv2 + work function

No clue about this one either

Could anyone explain them to me, I would be so thankful :smile:

Also, what is the photoelectric effect even talking about? I know that it was thought that light was a wave but now evidence has been found that it could be a particle called a photon but what evidence suggests it's a particle and not a wave?

Thanks so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must stress that some of it may be incorrect and I am not responsible for how you do in your exam
but happy revision :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by KINGYusuf
Guys, does anyone know if it's possible to continue to A2 but doing an AS subject as a retake?

Someone I know did this. He did 3 A2 subjects but also was in my class for AS physics which he was retaking, and I'm pretty sure he has an uni offer for engineering. I don't know how it is with your school though.

You should still seriously revise for this exam, it never hurts to try hard :biggrin:
Original post by Karoel
Someone I know did this. He did 3 A2 subjects but also was in my class for AS physics which he was retaking, and I'm pretty sure he has an uni offer for engineering. I don't know how it is with your school though.

You should still seriously revise for this exam, it never hurts to try hard :biggrin:

No bro, I seriously gave up revising physics on that first PH01 exam, I think I got like 30 marks or something, didn't even touch PH02 & it's in 2 days. I hope I can do what your friend Did!
Original post by B-Stacks
1. Energy of a photon

2. eV is electronvolts, where 1eV = 1.6x10^-19. It's just a different unit used for very small values of energy and at times more appropriate than joules.

3. Work function is the minimum amount of energy needed from a photon to release an electron from a metals surface.

4. When the photon energy is greater than the work function of a metal, electrons are emitted from the surface. This means they must have kinetic energy. Therefore "hf" is the energy of photon = "work function" minimum photon energy needed to release electrons + "1/2mv^2" kinetic energy of the emitted electron.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you SO much!
Finally get it

Good luck for Monday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KINGYusuf
No bro, I seriously gave up revising physics on that first PH01 exam, I think I got like 30 marks or something, didn't even touch PH02 & it's in 2 days. I hope I can do what your friend Did!

I'm in the exact same position as you. I literally failed unit 1, I missed out eight whole questions because I just had no idea what the answer was. I checked the unofficial mark scheme and got around 30 right, maximum. But I learnt all of unit 2 by myself in 5 days, so hoping that you know all of unit 2 you should just start on the past papers and hopefully you can do this :smile:

The only reason it took me five days is because I had to actually learn ALL the content because I'd missed so many lessons for unit 2 then we didn't even have a physics teacher etc...

I'm going to do past papers later on today and hopefully I do okay!
Just literally do tons of past papers and see how it goes

Good luck anyways - all the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are people aiming to achieve (I mean of course an A, but realistically)? my friend is aiming for no higher than a C, because she believes physics is too difficult for her. I attempted a past paper today and achieved a B, hoping to try at least 4 today before the exam to see if I could push it to an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatGirlx
I'm in the exact same position as you. I literally failed unit 1, I missed out eight whole questions because I just had no idea what the answer was. I checked the unofficial mark scheme and got around 30 right, maximum. But I learnt all of unit 2 by myself in 5 days, so hoping that you know all of unit 2 you should just start on the past papers and hopefully you can do this :smile:

The only reason it took me five days is because I had to actually learn ALL the content because I'd missed so many lessons for unit 2 then we didn't even have a physics teacher etc...

I'm going to do past papers later on today and hopefully I do okay!
Just literally do tons of past papers and see how it goes

Good luck anyways - all the best

Posted from TSR Mobile

<3!
Reply 395
Can someone explain why the voltage across component P (the resistor) is at a minumum when the variable resistor is at its lowest point, and why the voltage across P is at maximum when the variable resistor is at its highest point? Thanks
Reply 396
Question on photoelectric effect....

What is the difference between work function and the threshold frequency? Is it the units? I just don't seem to be able to get my head around it...

Thanks guys
How come on 18a you subtract the two E.M.F's to get the total instead of adding them together? http://pastpapers.edexcel.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2013/Question%20papers%20and%20mark%20schemes/6PH02_01_que_20120525.pdf
Original post by Hellospaceboyy
How come on 18a you subtract the two E.M.F's to get the total instead of adding them together? http://pastpapers.edexcel.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2013/Question%20papers%20and%20mark%20schemes/6PH02_01_que_20120525.pdf

I guess it's because the car battery uses up the emf of the charger, so the effective emf in the circuit is what's left after
Reply 399
Original post by rubi-t
Question on photoelectric effect....

What is the difference between work function and the threshold frequency? Is it the units? I just don't seem to be able to get my head around it...

Thanks guys

There's the energy of the photon which is E=hf where f is the frequency of the photon.
Then there's the work function (phi) which is equal to hf where f is the minimum frequency (aka threshold frequency) a photon needs to have to release an electron from the metal surface.
Hf=h(threshold frequency)+kinetic energy of the electron

Threshold frequency varies with material and having a higher frequency photon will result in higher kinetic energy of the electron

If you still don't get it just go into YouTube and search for Drphysicsa photoelectric effect

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending