The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2: Physics at Work ~9th June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rdknighton
I just realised that water absorbs microwaves after the exam. Surely this means that the microwaves wouldn't be reflected so there would be no way to work out how far they the rain was away or measure the speed?

Also, what mark do you think an A will be? I would say around 60/61

The highest it's every been on a unit 2 paper is 58 so yeah around that
Reply 941
Original post by Arazamataz
You can tell Edexcel are running out of ideas when the polarisation question is a picture of the front of the exam paper.

Yeah I found that one hilarious but no idea how to answer it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 942
Original post by jay_em
Yeah the lack of those questions annoyed me. That's the hardest part of the course, so I spent longest on it.

Ikr I was so good with electricity questions as well you could have thrown the most absurd diagrams at me and I would have been able to solve it!

Anyone remember why there must be a threshold frequency ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 943
Original post by Kaneda
Ikr I was so good with electricity questions as well you could have thrown the most absurd diagrams at me and I would have been able to solve it!

Anyone remember why there must be a threshold frequency ?

the threshold frequency is the minimum frequency required by a photon to allow an electron to escape the surface of the metal (assuming the electron absorbs the photon). Below the frequency the electron does not have enough energy to escape the metal.

Threshold freq*h=work function
Reply 944
Original post by Edac
the threshold frequency is the minimum frequency required by a photon to allow an electron to escape the surface of the metal (assuming the electron absorbs the photon). Below the frequency the electron does not have enough energy to escape the metal.

Threshold freq*h=work function

Nice, wrote that too
What did you put on the y axis?
I said energy in joules (j)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kaneda
Nice, wrote that too
What did you put on the y axis?
I said energy in joules (j)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I put kinetic energy in joules, I think they're correct
Original post by jamez870
Yeah I put kinetic energy in joules, I think they're correct

Isn't it energy in electron volts?
(edited 9 years ago)
what about why the kettle wasn't 100% efficient (thermal energy)??
Original post by katieskiier
what about why the kettle wasn't 100% efficient (thermal energy)??

I think because when you did the calculation previous before you got 87% efficiency. So you could say not all the electrical energy (input energy) was converted into thermal energy ( useful energy). Maybe you could of commented on waste energy too being produced which would reduce the overrall efficiency. I wrote something along those lines
Original post by bob wayne
I think because when you did the calculation previous before you got 87% efficiency. So you could say not all the electrical energy (input energy) was converted into thermal energy ( useful energy). Maybe you could of commented on waste energy too being produced which would reduce the overrall efficiency. I wrote something along those lines

yeah basically the fact that some of the thermal energy is transferred to sound energy when the water boils and some to kinetic energy when the water moves when it is boiling!
Original post by Gandalfthewhite
Isn't it energy in electron volts?

i put both, but you could put any i think as it is just two ways of measuring energy
Reply 951
Original post by sgobara08
i put both, but you could put any i think as it is just two ways of measuring energy

Or two ways to look at energy I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 952
Anyone know where to find an un-official marks scheme? Or does someone want to do one?
Original post by bob wayne

Ok cool, I also put that some kettles have lights so some energy is transferred to light? Don't know if that will be on the mark scheme though haha
Original post by katieskiier
Ok cool, I also put that some kettles have lights so some energy is transferred to light? Don't know if that will be on the mark scheme though haha

Naah bro, because that's a transfer 2 useful energy :wink:
What were the two values for energy?
Original post by mattdennis
Naah bro, because that's a transfer 2 useful energy :wink:

ahhhhh noooooo that's so annoying! I swear I haven't got a single question completely right!
Reply 957
Original post by bill223
Time to return - Calculate distance using t=s/v

Frequency - Doppler effect higher frequency return when rain is moving towards detector

Intensity - Higher amount of rain means more of pulse returned therefore greater intensity of return

damn I wrote all of these 3 points but I also mentioned diffraction damn x_x I hope they ignore it.
Reply 958
Original post by LukeBarnett
I believe so, it's so it draws as little current as possible, I mentioned the resistors in parallel equation showing that (1/very large number) is basically 0 so it's negligible :smile:

current drawn = 0 and no volts are lost.
Original post by MO2898
I meant the transparent block that was placed on the 6PH02

I thought so at first, but it looked like a thin almost tissue paper with glass properties like material, the stuff we used to make collages in lower school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending