The Student Room Group

Should I take French A level?

As you can see from the title, I am considering French as one of my A levels but am not completely sure yet, so would like as much information as possible in order to eventually make a well informed decision.
How hard is it?
What does the course involve?
How big is the jump from GCSE to A level
Is it an enjoyable subject?
Any information would be much appreciated!
How hard is it: Very. Not a subject for the faint hearted and you need ro have a passion for it. Probably the hardest A Level.
Course: Les Medias, La Culture Populaire, La Famille et La Vie Saine
Jump: Massive.
Enjoyability: Really fun if you have a passion for languages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Iamascientist999
As you can see from the title, I am considering French as one of my A levels but am not completely sure yet, so would like as much information as possible in order to eventually make a well informed decision.
How hard is it?
What does the course involve?
How big is the jump from GCSE to A level
Is it an enjoyable subject?
Any information would be much appreciated!

I think L'evil Fish might comment here soon as this really is something that he would know a lot about. For me, I've looked at the syllabus and it seems like a massive step up from GCSE (as with any subject at a-level). If you have passion for that subject, then take it. If you enjoy something you are more likely to try harder and ultimately get a better grade.
Reply 3
Original post by Obiejess
How hard is it: Very. Not a subject for the faint hearted and you need ro have a passion for it. Probably the hardest A Level.
Course: Les Medias, La Culture Populaire, La Famille et La Vie Saine
Jump: Massive.
Enjoyability: Really fun if you have a passion for languages

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, modern foreign language a-levels seem ridiculously hard in comparison to some other a-levels and it seems like the work load is insane.
Reply 4
Something intensifies.gif

20 people joined the AS class. 7 dropped out after the first lesson. Another 3 after the first month. We were left with 7 by the first half term.

Only 5 were left in our A2 group; 3 of them were already bi/trilingual in French and other Indo-European languages.

No one got an A*.
Original post by GoldGhost
I think L'evil Fish might comment here soon as this really is something that he would know a lot about. For me, I've looked at the syllabus and it seems like a massive step up from GCSE (as with any subject at a-level). If you have passion for that subject, then take it. If you enjoy something you are more likely to try harder and ultimately get a better grade.

Yes, I am worried about the workload but as you say, I have a real passion for languages (at the moment I'm studying French and Spanish at school and teaching myself Italian) so it shouldn't be too hard to motivate myself to actually work hard; it must be a very rewarding subject!
Reply 6
Original post by Iamascientist999
Yes, I am worried about the workload but as you say, I have a real passion for languages (at the moment I'm studying French and Spanish at school and teaching myself Italian) so it shouldn't be too hard to motivate myself to actually work hard; it must be a very rewarding subject!

If you actually like languages and can be bothered to learn the vocab, then you should be fine. It will be hard work, though.

The play and the political module were unbearable.

I did AQA.
I think everyone has said pretty much everything I was thinking of saying :smile:

If you love languages then go for it; it can be a very rewarding subject. The gap between GCSE and A-level is absolutely huge though, quite a few people in my class had to drop out. Even some people that got A*s were struggling with it. However, if you keep at it, it gets a lot better and you start to relax a lot more as you become more confident in your ability :-)
I'm doing Edexcel and as far as I know the course is quite enjoyable, although perhaps a bit 'dry' at times. I think it becomes more interesting in A2 when you are required to debate about controversial issues. Of course it depends on which exam board you will be on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest