The Student Room Group

US Universities - How many A-Levels, is there a big difference between 4 or 3 if I am

I am approaching my first set of a-level mocks as a sixth form in year 12 taking Maths, Economics, Geography and French, but I am not very good at modern languages and am struggling quite a lot to keep up with the French, and dropping it would provide me so much more time for Extracurriculars such as essay prizes and other ideas. However I have heard from a collection of people that due to the nature of the course that American Unis offer, it is better and preferred to take four. I am unsure because the pressure that French is putting on me is holding my other subjects back I think, and I know I can guarantee myself 3 A* without it, combined with my all A* GCSEs and high ACT score I feel I am not losing much however I am not sure whether that extra subject will really give that extra push that top Universities in the states want. Do you think it is more beneficial for me to drop or stick it through?
Original post by Mut3
I am approaching my first set of a-level mocks as a sixth form in year 12 taking Maths, Economics, Geography and French, but I am not very good at modern languages and am struggling quite a lot to keep up with the French, and dropping it would provide me so much more time for Extracurriculars such as essay prizes and other ideas. However I have heard from a collection of people that due to the nature of the course that American Unis offer, it is better and preferred to take four. I am unsure because the pressure that French is putting on me is holding my other subjects back I think, and I know I can guarantee myself 3 A* without it, combined with my all A* GCSEs and high ACT score I feel I am not losing much however I am not sure whether that extra subject will really give that extra push that top Universities in the states want. Do you think it is more beneficial for me to drop or stick it through?

The good thing about your subject choices is that you have some essay based subjects and even one that counts as a humanities. This should be sufficient. I have many friends who have gained acceptance from Ivy League Unis and most of them only did 3 A levels. If you think the pros of dropping French outweigh the cons then I say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest