The Student Room Group

French or Biology A level

My 6th form requires I take 4 a levels for atleast the first year which isn’t really an issue for me but I already know which three a levels I need for my dream degree (Economics). I’m taking Maths Further Maths and Econ a levels and have currently applied for biology but I still have the option to change my subjects once school starts. I’ll ofc see how biology is but if I like biology, how will I ever know if I’m missing out on French? None of these as fourths contribute to economics as a degree and I think I enjoy both equally. I enjoy learning French and it may provide a balance to all the STEM I’m doing. But I also enjoy biology a lot. Would it be wise to keep French as a hobby maybe with duolingo or smth and do biology as an a level? Or should I do french instead and perhaps apply for Econ and modern languages degrees. Bc realistically I don’t see myself learning a decent level of french if I’m not doing it in school. But I also think biology will be an easier a level than french.
Reply 1
Hi,
I don't study French at a level so I cannot speak for that myself. My friends have said they study both films and books in french along with current news relevant to this, so it is obviously a very big step up from french at gcse level.
I currently study biology at a level and can promise you it is not easy haha! Content wise there is so much more and heavy emphasis on practicals. There is also lots of statistics involved, which might be useful with ur maths a level as I see a lot of cross over with both my maths and biology. But at the end, pick the one u know ur going to put more effort into and spend the time wanting to learn and revise over it.
Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by lili__1
My 6th form requires I take 4 a levels for atleast the first year which isn’t really an issue for me but I already know which three a levels I need for my dream degree (Economics). I’m taking Maths Further Maths and Econ a levels and have currently applied for biology but I still have the option to change my subjects once school starts. I’ll ofc see how biology is but if I like biology, how will I ever know if I’m missing out on French? None of these as fourths contribute to economics as a degree and I think I enjoy both equally. I enjoy learning French and it may provide a balance to all the STEM I’m doing. But I also enjoy biology a lot. Would it be wise to keep French as a hobby maybe with duolingo or smth and do biology as an a level? Or should I do french instead and perhaps apply for Econ and modern languages degrees. Bc realistically I don’t see myself learning a decent level of french if I’m not doing it in school. But I also think biology will be an easier a level than french.

Hi!
Didn't do Biology but did do A-level french and am just about to start studying it at uni!
It is definitely a step up from GCSE but it's manageable - you will build up to writing essays and reading the book. basically every lesson you are doing listening and reading exercises and your skills will improve gradually so the exams are nowhere near as daunting as they first seem

Compared to Biology there's nowhere near as much 'content; I'd describe French A-Level as more of a skill you're developing and have to keep practicing - of course there will be some stuff to memorise but in terms of content I found it to be much less than my other A-Levels
Also I had someone in my class doing your exact 3 A-levels plus French and they loved it because, as you mentioned, it was a nice balance to the STEM subjects :smile:

ultimately do what you enjoy the most as A-Levels are a lot of work and an interest in the subject will make it that much easier to do the work

Quick Reply

Latest