The Student Room Group

i feel awful please can someone comfort me

I feel like my hair is always greasy, my face looks odd and wrong, I have horrible teeth and I smell, plus I'm pretty sure I'm becoming fat. I feel like I have the ability to do well in my education but I'm ultimately going to screw it up and lose the only thing I'm achieving in (and even then not really). I've had issues with friends so I either hate them or resent them, but I'm also miserable because of this fact because I don't want to. And the people who are not my friends think I'm strange, the ones who try with me get rejected by my stammerings and awkwardness and overall weirdness. I feel lonely but I also hate everyone and don't believe I'll truly like anyone again, even though I desperately want to. The only person I like - who I've been infatuated with for two years - is married, has children, thinks I'm weird too. The only person I really want to talk to is him but he doesn't want to talk to me. I don't even want to talk to my family, even though I love them and have done nothing wrong, I can't take solace in them. I'm far too strange to get a job, and I struggle to see how anyone could love me. And I'm not even a nice person whose just misfortunes, I'm not even misfortuned. I'm selfish and narcissistic, I get upset when someone doesn't give me enough attention, yet I'm too lazy to make an active change to my life which I supposedly hate so much, I'm not even letting anyone help me. I'm losing my temper with everyone, I'm bitchy, but also pathetic and overemotional and paranoid. I don't care for anyone but myself. I've also done things which are disgusting which are going to bite me on the arse one day. I am the problem, I have the bad mindset, but its hard to see it any other way.

I feel so upset I don't even know why I'm bothering posting this. Please talk to me.
Reply 1
the first step to redemption is to know what you've done wrong; seems like you know exactly what you need to fix.

you control your own happiness...

(ps.. a shower would be a good start if you smell and have greasy hair)
Reply 2
I'm no doctor, but have you asked your GP whether you might be depressed? Try speaking to your university counsellor or to your GP to see what they can suggest.
Reply 3
Original post by Crumpet1
I'm no doctor, but have you asked your GP whether you might be depressed? Try speaking to your university counsellor or to your GP to see what they can suggest.

I had an emergency psychiatrist test once and they thought I was normal, no mental illness. I do see a counsellor but I'm finding it hard to talk to her recently, mainly because I don't want to (not an issue with her because she's been helpful in some respects, its me really being anti-people)
Reply 4
Seems like you know what you want to change about yourself and what you can do to improve in your eyes. I think you do have the strength to reach your goals :hugs:
I'd love to talk to you properly :smile: You can PM me if you want!
I don't know how helpful this will be but maybe you need a fresh start, try something new with new people. Everyone has times where nothing is going right for them. I can't pretentious to fully understand your situation but things are rarely as bad as they seem. My advice would be to calm down a bit and right a list of your problems ( it's never as long as you think) and possible solutions, sure you may not have one for all of them but it all helps.
i hope this has been in any way helpful to you and that you feel better about yourself and your situation soon.
I think you need to go back to your GP and explain all of your symptoms and be more insistent that you need to try something else to help you... do some research regarding any health issues you think you might have and the treatments you think could help you... honestly you get taken more seriously and have more chance of being given treatment that's right for you.

as for helping yourself I would start by making a list of what you want in life... the end dream goals (make them achievable though so for example if you want a Ferrari that's a dream, difficult but possible. being a princess however is a less achievable goal)

examle list:
1.build dream home
2. drive a Ferrari
3. have a happy healthy family
4. marry someone I love
etc

once you've finished that list make another that is the minimum that would make you happy in life

eg
1) own a house
2) have a nice car
etc... easier to achieve things that you want in life

then make a plan- split it in 3... 'to have achieved in 10 years time', 'to have achieved in 3 years time' to achieve this year'. again make then achievable and set a time limit for yourself

Start by taking baby steps, do something everyday towards your goals however big or small it will make a difference.

once youre done with the lists go and take a nice shower, relax and know that your life can go the way you want it to if you put your mind to making the changes that you need to make to achieve it.

last year I felt like you just described, im now much happier and working on my dreams
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I had an emergency psychiatrist test once and they thought I was normal, no mental illness. I do see a counsellor but I'm finding it hard to talk to her recently, mainly because I don't want to (not an issue with her because she's been helpful in some respects, its me really being anti-people)

Next time you see her, why don't you talk about what you would like for your life in the future, and see whether she can help with that, rather than trying to analyse yourself if you find that hard.
Reply 8
I feel like my hair is always greasy, my face looks odd and wrong, I have horrible teeth and I smell, plus I'm pretty sure I'm becoming fat. I feel like I have the ability to do well in my education but I'm ultimately going to screw it up and lose the only thing I'm achieving in (and even then not really). I've had issues with friends so I either hate them or resent them, but I'm also miserable because of this fact because I don't want to. And the people who are not my friends think I'm strange, the ones who try with me get rejected by my stammerings and awkwardness and overall weirdness. I feel lonely but I also hate everyone and don't believe I'll truly like anyone again, even though I desperately want to. The only person I like - who I've been infatuated with for two years - is married, has children, thinks I'm weird too. The only person I really want to talk to is him but he doesn't want to talk to me. I don't even want to talk to my family, even though I love them and have done nothing wrong, I can't take solace in them. I'm far too strange to get a job, and I struggle to see how anyone could love me. And I'm not even a nice person whose just misfortunes, I'm not even misfortuned. I'm selfish and narcissistic, I get upset when someone doesn't give me enough attention, yet I'm too lazy to make an active change to my life which I supposedly hate so much, I'm not even letting anyone help me. I'm losing my temper with everyone, I'm bitchy, but also pathetic and overemotional and paranoid. I don't care for anyone but myself. I've also done things which are disgusting which are going to bite me on the arse one day. I am the problem, I have the bad mindset, but its hard to see it any other way.

I feel so upset I don't even know why I'm bothering posting this. Please talk to me.

Are you by any chance a teenager? If so, I think you're normal, but probably want to get a medical check up like the other say anyway.
Reply 9

seems like your at a crossroads in your life, how old are you btw?
I know this will pass, but feel perhaps your looking for something deeper in life. Just let your soul be free, and take solace in the fact that often things tend to work themselves out.
you are your own worst critic, and you've simply pointed out all the bad elements you see of yourself, totally ignoring the good.
I have the potential and often can be many of the things you've stated about yourself, but I can also be incredible at times, and think that of myself.

Your better than what you think you are, and for sure God (if you believe in him) see's the good in you.
u have hit rock-bottom, u are completely worthless and ur hair smells like piss. ur teeth are probably orange and i can almost guarantee u have 10cm radius zits plastered across ur entire face

ur life cannot get any worse than this so its time to stop caring and be urself. it can only go uphill from here friend

It sounds to me like the main reason you're so unhappy is because you are a certain way, a way that isn't generally seen as being what people should be like. The first thing you have to do is stop being so hard on yourself and stop trying to make yourself into something you're not. Everyone deserves to be happy in who they are and if you're constantly comparing yourself to the standards society tells you to, then you'll never be happy. Accept that you're selfish and narcissistic. It's ok, those are traits people have. You're probably paranoid because of the constant comparisons you make between yourself and others, so see first piece of advice to solve that. Try broadening your horizons of thought by reading the news, books, picking up a hobby and maybe a fun sport? Yoga is good to give yourself time to think, and a quick jog in the morning or evening will clear your mind. If you have a hobby and read the news/ books you'll have things to think about other than yourself, or rather when you think of yourself, you'll feel happy with the fact that you've learned something new and are socially/ culturally aware.

The biggest mistake you can make is be down on yourself. Shower, organise your room, make a plan for the next day, and just think about the moment you're in. It will feel hopeless to begin with but it's all about consistency! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks guys
you're welcome

Quick Reply

Latest