The Student Room Group

Mooting question please help

x enters into a contract with y
x refurbishes y's flats for a price of 5million
y is unable to pay the full amount on the due day and only pays 3 million
x promises to accept this in full settlement because they need the money inorder to start contract with z otherwise penalty clause will be imposed
x now claims the remaining 2 million
y appeals to the Supreme Court on the following ground:
1) Following the principles established in Williams v Roffey Bros & Nicholls
(Contractors) Ltd [1991] 1 QB 1, the payment of a lesser amount can be
sufficient consideration if that payment creates a benefit

need help with this question I am the respondent so far I have argued that there is no consideration for the promise ( pinnels case and foakes and beer) and re select move Williams and roffey cant be applied to part payment of a debt
what other submissions could I make??
the appealant is going to try and apply Williams and roffey and maybe implement promissory estoppel do you think I could argue duress, no reasonable alternative than to accept the lesser amount or is that irrelevant?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
I have this exact question for my moot in a couple of weeks, so if anyone has any submissions you could use as the respondent that would be amazing because i'm really struggling D:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending