The Student Room Group

Software engineering

Can I get into a software engineering degree without no previous experience in software engineering?
Original post by python147816
Can I get into a software engineering degree without no previous experience in software engineering?

Yes. Most Software Engineering and Computer Science degrees do not mandate a prior qualification in a Computer Science, or similar. However, they often mandate A level Mathematics.

A better question be, "Should I get into a software engineering degree without any previous experience in software engineering?" I would suggest that you should not. What if it's something you really don't enjoy, or that you really struggle with? Why would you want to commit yourself to a three-year degree with that risk?

I would suggest that you watch some YouTube videos on how to code, try some online tutorials, do a MOOC, etc. to find out (a) if it's something you enjoy, and (b) if it's something you have an affinity for. One you've established that, then your original question become moot because you have some previous experience of software engineering.

(That will also make it easier to express interest in the subject within your personal statement.)
Original post by python147816

Yes! A lot of degrees, such as Lancaster University's Software Engineering course do not require an A-Level in Computer Science etc. But they are desirable, along with Maths A Level. Other Software Engineering/Computer Science courses often list Maths as a requirement.

As another person has said though, it would be good to at least have some experience in it as you'll be committing 3 years of your life and a lot of money on it. It's best you know what to expect and actually like the stuff you have to do for your degree.

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Best thing you can do is get yourself on a software engineering degree apprenticeship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending