The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Football Thread

Best Footballers thread was deleted. :frown:

But here starts a new chapter of Football Discussion! :biggrin:

Cheers Pig: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t36226.html :smile:

This thread couldn't exist without: NGDAARONDI, contributing 3200+ posts; Dan, contributing 2300+ posts; Wolf, wid 1700+ posts and Chats, wid 1600+ posts ...Nice one!! :tsr:

Special mention also to KuZ, Wolf, Chats and Theaman, who have been posting here since time began! :top:

Football Milestones:

09/04/04 - 1st post ~ mc_watson87
16/04/04 - 1000th post ~ pig
21/04/04 - 2000th post ~ pig
20/05/04 - 3000th post ~ theaman
16/06/04 - 4000th post ~ iiikewldude
21/07/04 - 5000th post ~ TheWolf
03/09/04 - 6000th post ~ mc_watson87
06/10/04 - 7000th post ~ pig
05/11/04 - 8000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
19/12/04 - 9000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
05/02/05 - 10000th post ~ pig
26/02/05 - 11000th post ~ afireinside
09/03/05 - 12000th post ~ Makavelli_07
02/04/05 - 13000th post ~ 4Ed
20/04/05 - 14000th post ~ theaman
01/05/05 - 15000th post ~ TheWolf
09/05/05 - 16000th post ~ Dan
20/05/05 - 17000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
26/05/05 - 18000th post ~ Chats
02/06/05 - 19000th post ~ rmyl
08/06/05 - 20000th post ~ TheWolf
26/06/05 - 21000th post ~ Fernando
08/07/05 - 22000th post ~ KuZ
17/07/05 - 23000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
27/07/05 - 24000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
05/08/05 - 25000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
14/08/05 - 26000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
26/08/05 - 27000th post ~ Darth Vader05
10/09/05 - 28000th post ~ Mockelinho
10/10/05 - 29000th post ~ olliemccowan
01/11/05 - 30000th post ~ AFI/NDGAARONDI
01/12/05 - 31000th post ~ NDGAARONDI
02/12/05 - 32000th post ~ ~Sam~
20/02/06 - 33000th post ~ dan
18/06/06 - 34000th post ~ olliemccowan
Reply 1
piginapoke
A warm welcome back!

Lets begin.

Chelsea for the european cup?

Could well be, they are best team left. I think the 2nd group stage should be re-established, to keep the better teams in the competition.
Reply 2
piginapoke
Ah, but it gave preferential treatment to the 'better teams', at least we're going to see one of the supposed underdogs winning the title, its been a while since the last 4 have looked like this, no big names!

Even if Chelsea win will Ranieri get the sack? I hardly see how they could justify that, even though the league is almost lost. They've gone the furthest of any English team in the euro cup this season and look like they will finish 2nd in the league, already an achievement.

DId you not prefer seeing "better" teams in the last 4 though. I hope Ranieri wont get the sack. But I dont think many know how to please Mr Abramovich. (possibly only sven :wink:). I think he wud still sack Ranieri, he doesn't know much bout football, just that he wants to win everything.
I'd love Chelsea to get it now (despite being a proud United fan), Ranieri is a top manager and they've go tthemselves a great cahnce. Plus I've got £30 riding on it...
Reply 4
XTinaA
I'd love Chelsea to get it now (despite being a proud United fan), Ranieri is a top manager and they've go tthemselves a great cahnce. Plus I've got £30 riding on it...

Yeah i'd like to c Chelsea win. It will show Europe that England is still a great footballing league nation. How much u on course to make, cus there is a good chance now that Chlesea wud win it. :rolleyes:
mc_watson87
Yeah i'd like to c Chelsea win. It will show Europe that England is still a great footballing league nation. How much u on course to make, cus there is a good chance now that Chlesea wud win it. :rolleyes:

I bet £2 on Chelsea winning it as soon as Makelele signed, at odds of 14-1, so I still stand to return £30...
Reply 6
XTinaA
I bet £2 on Chelsea winning it as soon as Makelele signed, at odds of 14-1, so I still stand to return £30...

Looks at the moment like that was a good business decision. :smile:
mc_watson87
Looks at the moment like that was a good business decision. :smile:

I knew that Chelsea had a great chance as soon as they signed Makelele, it would have helped them immensely to have a wall-like figure there. Despite his form though Chelsea are still in the hunt!

Ranieri is actually a good manager, Gullit and Vialli are definitely not.

Watch out for Deportivo though, classy in attack and they knocked out both of last year's finalists...
Reply 8
piginapoke
Well there's only a few matches left, we've already seen some good games. The larger knock-out phase makes it more exciting, its harder for a handful of teams to dominate the competition this way.

I like Ranieri, he seems like a nice bloke, so I don't want him to get the sack. Mind you, I liked Gullit and Vialli before him too, there were nice blokes but that didn't save them from Ken Bates! Hopefully Abramovich has a little more sense. Continuity is what's needed to have continued success.

I don't rate Sven very highly, he's got England playing OK but not great by any means; their football isn't exactly scintillating. I don't see why he'd do a better job than Ranieri.

He Wouldn't. He would spend like crazy, like he did for lazio, and pay them all so all so highly, he'd probably bankrupt ambramovich.

Real Madrid i heard are quite annoyed at Queiroz (don't know how to spell his name), they r tryin to get sven aswell now. Though they deny it...
piginapoke
Does Makelele make much of a difference to them though? Lampard seems to be getting the midfield headlines for them. Makelele supposedly does 'the ugly things' but all I ever see him do is make short passes, surely Fat Frank is more effective overall?

What he gave to Real Madrid was so highly valued that he was their player of last season. He gave them protection. I knew (or thought) he would do the same for Chelsea so they'd have a strong chance if they were allowed to just attack in front of him.
Aylesbury United Rule
Reply 11
XTinaA
Watch out for Deportivo though, classy in attack and they knocked out both of last year's finalists...

HAd the biggest defeat in the tournament though. And to a team still lookin good and dangerous.
Reply 12
sillynarb2
Aylesbury United Rule

WHat division they in?
Here I'd like to make this thread controversial:

Arsene Wenger cannot do tactics. Sure, he can better players, he has his team playing good football, but against United and Chelsea he lost through tactics. Ferguson decided to play counter-attack through Ronaldo, and Ranieri bringing on Gronkjaer to suppress Ashley Cole was inspired. Wenger however, sticks a few forwards on when times get hard, removing the sort of player that would otherwise supply them. In the Cup we saw Henry come on, and Arsenal stopped playing football. Very basic tactics that didn't come off. I think he just expects Arsenal to turn teams over without tactics playing a part. Poor for a manager of a top European side.

Discuss :tongue:
mc_watson87
WHat division they in?

rock bottom of the ryman premier

but with all the restructuring of non league there will now be:

Conference - as it is

Conf North and South

we will be in the next tier down and move to the doc martins
Reply 15
sillynarb2
rock bottom of the ryman premier

but with all the restructuring of non league there will now be:

Conference - as it is

Conf North and South

we will be in the next tier down and move to the doc martins

Hmm, well good luck to them.
piginapoke
Does he make lost of tackles and interceptions I'm missing?

Not now with the form he's in obviosly, but even at Real he got on with his job quietly and his importance wasn't immediately apparent. Perhaps with Parker there he's a luxury for Chelsea, but his experience is useful.
mc_watson87
Hmm, well good luck to them.

yeah, cheers, they need it
Reply 18
XTinaA

Arsene Wenger cannot do tactics. Sure, he can better players, he has his team playing good football, but against United and Chelsea he lost through tactics. Ferguson decided to play counter-attack through Ronaldo, and Ranieri bringing on Gronkjaer to suppress Ashley Cole was inspired. Wenger however, sticks a few forwards on when times get hard, removing the sort of player that would otherwise supply them. In the Cup we saw Henry come on, and Arsenal stopped playing football. Very basic tactics that didn't come off. I think he just expects Arsenal to turn teams over without tactics playing a part. Poor for a manager of a top European side.

:eek: INdeed this is controversial. What to say. Hmm. Hmm. I think he is a one tactic manager. (LIke me on cm4. Most of the time it seems to work. But it often slips off annoyingly.) He always plays the same tactic, and when it goes wrong, he makes very weird decisions. But he has many other positive attributes, e.g. his buys always seem to turn into gold.
XTinaA

controversial

but very true i agree, he doesn't seem to be able to change the way the team play to suit other teams

Latest