The Student Room Group

feel like im going to mess up second year, or am i worrying for nothing?

hello, i’m currently typing this as my hands are dripping from sweat because of the anxiety… but i’m really scared lol

basically, this year has been tragic. there’s a few reasons but firstly i’d like to say it’s quite significant, i know you all would have heard this before but truthfully it’s been rough.

firstly, i’d like to say that i’ve not been motivated this year at all. i haven’t attended lectures, seminars consistently and when i have, i have been behind on the content so i couldn’t engage. there’s a few reasons for this:

i have no real friends at university - my old friendship group got split up, i could get into the reason but let’s just say it was completely unrelated to me, i literally had nothing to do with others’ stupid love triangle, it means that now i have absolutely no social life, all i have are a few acquaintances… i never go out with anybody

also. i am partially at university for the job prospects/family pressure rather than it being my passion. this has really messed with me since day one, and whilst i am happy i attend a good uni doing a good degree, it is mind numbing with how draining it is when you’re not passionate about the content…

another reason is, my mum has had lung nodules come up. this is another source of serious stress for me, as it’s not fully clear how serious they are. i’m from a single parent household and i literally won’t have the will to live if anything happens to her. i feel like she’s the only person who loves me

because of these issues, i have been a huge procrastinator. earlier this year, for my first semester exams, i managed to average a 2:1 but only just, i literally learned the content/watched the lectures a few days before the exam… this felt like a lucky fluke, and i’m really scared i’m not gonna be able to repeat this! and that i’ll have to resit this semester whilst capped and ultimately mess up my life.

i have been a bit more prepared this semester, but ultimately i have slacked off the year, so i feel as if it’s too late…

do you think it’s still plausible that i could somehow get a 2:1 this year? i do wish to continue my studies at this point, and i would also like to start to be happier… i’m going to talk to my tutor at uni when i can

please, give me some advice. i have a few more weeks until my exams, i’ll apply for exTenuating circumstances but i’m not sure i’ll get it (i had applied before but the university just ignored me… despite showing them i’ve been on medication. for my anxiety and i’ve had therapy.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
i’ve made another thread, but it’s being approved for some reason…
Reply 3
When you talk to your tutor, be honest about everything. Your time at university probably can be salvaged but you'll need to work hard for it. You just need to decide yourself, is going through the next year worth it?
Reply 4
Original post by Doomotron
When you talk to your tutor, be honest about everything. Your time at university probably can be salvaged but you'll need to work hard for it. You just need to decide yourself, is going through the next year worth it?

yes, i want to finish my degree at this point. i want to also fix my mental health, but ultimately if i drop out i’ll be super depressed

do you have any opinions on my exam situation? i have a few weeks, am a bit more prepared as i’ve done a lot of the lectures, and my exams are open book

perhaps you’ve got any success stories haha

do you think it’s likely my tutor will help me get an extenuating circumstances/considerations
Reply 5
anybody else can give me any thoughts please?
Hello, Mr. Solo. I really feel your pain. With all that is going on in your life, feeling the way you feel is absolutely fine. I am also happy that you have realized that there is a problem and committed to trying to fix it. Sharing it here is a good way to know that you are not alone. Before I go on, I would like to tell you a brief of my story. When I joined first year many years ago, I struggled a lot. I lost one of my parents in first year, the remaining one (my mom) was diagnosed with stage 4 myeloma and I had to fend for my self while also supporting my mother. The degree I was pursuing was one that I never loved, per se. I was attending for my dad and now he was no more. My life was super messed up, though I was also lucky to hit the 2:1 in the first Sem. I knew, I would never make it in the following semester...

Luckily, I met an old man and his words changed my life. Here are the things he told me: "Young man, the life ahead is yours and you choose what to do with it. What you are going through is definitely painful, but if you do not overcome it now and use it as a motivation, you will live with pain forever." These words gave me a first-class on the course.

Here is what I will tell you:
1. It is never too late to do the right thing. If you want to excel, believe you are going to excel and pursue excellence this semester however late.
2. You must first love your course and shed the fact that someone compelled you into doing it. It is usually easier to excel in what you love. If it is impossible to fall in love with the course, the faculty and the university, you may consider finding what you love.
3. Talk to your tutor candidly and honestly, find a counselor to talk to as well and just start going outdoors. You may start with such general activities as field activities e.g. footbal etc, join an enthusiastic gym, a club etc. You don't need close friends to feel happy. You only need genuine company.
4.. You seem to love your mum so much. If you want to help her recover and overcome her ailment, commit to overcoming your mental health and excelling in this semester.

I hope this helps.
Reply 7
Original post by EssayDistinct
Hello, Mr. Solo. I really feel your pain. With all that is going on in your life, feeling the way you feel is absolutely fine. I am also happy that you have realized that there is a problem and committed to trying to fix it. Sharing it here is a good way to know that you are not alone. Before I go on, I would like to tell you a brief of my story. When I joined first year many years ago, I struggled a lot. I lost one of my parents in first year, the remaining one (my mom) was diagnosed with stage 4 myeloma and I had to fend for my self while also supporting my mother. The degree I was pursuing was one that I never loved, per se. I was attending for my dad and now he was no more. My life was super messed up, though I was also lucky to hit the 2:1 in the first Sem. I knew, I would never make it in the following semester...

Luckily, I met an old man and his words changed my life. Here are the things he told me: "Young man, the life ahead is yours and you choose what to do with it. What you are going through is definitely painful, but if you do not overcome it now and use it as a motivation, you will live with pain forever." These words gave me a first-class on the course.

1. It is never too late to do the right thing. If you want to excel, believe you are going to excel and pursue excellence this semester however late.
2. You must first love your course and shed the fact that someone compelled you into doing it. It is usually easier to excel in what you love. If it is impossible to fall in love with the course, the faculty and the university, you may consider finding what you love.
3. Talk to your tutor candidly and honestly, find a counselor to talk to as well and just start going outdoors. You may start with such general activities as field activities e.g. footbal etc, join an enthusiastic gym, a club etc. You don't need close friends to feel happy. You only need genuine company.
4.. You seem to love your mum so much. If you want to help her recover and overcome her ailment, commit to overcoming your mental health and excelling in this semester.

I hope this helps.

I understand, thank you for your kind comment

but my friend i’ve made a huge mistake by not trying this year. if i don’t get the grades i want, my degree will be worthless…

furthermore, if i can’t get my tutor to approve an extenuating circumstances, i won’t be able to resit any failed modules or poorly done modules

did you ever apply for extenuating circumstances or special considerations?
Reply 8
Original post by EssayDistinct

I hope this helps.

I also am sorry for your loss, i honestly don’t know how you’re so positive. I WOULD BREAK DOWN
Reply 9
just for reference guys - i have 3 open book exams in 2.5 weeks… i have to miss 3 days as well or minimal revision at best

can i do this?
Reply 10
How are you doing your studying? Some types studying are better than others. Don't leave any stone unturned, but make sure to focus especially on the things you're not sure about.
Reply 11
Original post by Doomotron
How are you doing your studying? Some types studying are better than others. Don't leave any stone unturned, but make sure to focus especially on the things you're not sure about.

I generally just read my lectures, bit of reading and then research some topics on the internet to answer quick questions…

that’s provided i have enough time though for everything
Reply 12
Original post by MrSoloDolo
I generally just read my lectures, bit of reading and then research some topics on the internet to answer quick questions…

that’s provided i have enough time though for everything

Do you feel you can do more? In my opinion if you feel you don't have any more to give then you're trying your best and you can't blame yourself for doing your best. I am sure you will do fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending