The Student Room Group
Beattie is a fat ****, arghh why didn't davie moyes get a striker !! :frown:
oblivious
Beattie is a fat ****, arghh why didn't davie moyes get a striker !! :frown:

He'll be okay, he'll come good! :biggrin:

Huzzah!
afireinside©
I dont expect him to, but I think he may. It's written in the stars for a Diego Forlan Man-of-the-Match performance tonight, dont ya think?

Yep.
Reply 27484
darth_vader05
I hope that England being kicked out of the top 10 is an incentive for them to perform. Or for Sven to realise his time is up.

Who do you think would be a good man for the job. I can think of three possible candidates- Stuart Pearce, Curbishley and Allardyce.

BTW did anyone hear Pearce's interview with MOTD?

Why does he have to be english?
kpg

Does he have to be British even?
kpg

Because its the English national team.
afireinside©
I dont expect him to, but I think he may. It's written in the stars for a Diego Forlan Man-of-the-Match performance tonight, dont ya think?

Dont know about mom but i expect him to score anyway.
an Siarach

Absolutely.
Reply 27489
an Siarach

The english cricket team consists of 2 welshmen (although ECB = the English and Welsh Cricket Board so fair enough), two south africans by birth and someone from papua new ginuea. The backroom staff also contains one man from Zimbabwe (i.e. the coach) and two from Australia. The Australian academy and Rodney Marsh are also heavily involved with the development of young players.

I don't see anyone batting an eyelid.
kpg
The english cricket team consists of 2 welshmen (although ECB = the English and Welsh Cricket Board so fair enough), two south africans by birth and someone from papua new ginuea.

First of all - So what? Secondly Pieterson has a legitimate claim to being english (his mother). The fact that the English cricket board are doing the wrong thing (if in fact the other two fellows you mention have no legitimate links to england) is hardly an excuse for the FA to do likewise.
The backroom staff also contains one man from Zimbabwe (i.e. the coach) and two from Australia. The Australian academy and Rodney Marsh are also heavily involved with the development of young players.

The backroom staff is another subject altogether. All those with a direct influence on the match day - which is to say players and manager - should be English. Otherwise its hardly a team representative of England is it and it thus defeats the entire premise of internatioanl football. That nobody bats an eyelid is again irrelevant - this does not make it right.
kpg

because theres a lot of talk about having an english manager

look at scotland, rubbish with vogts, decent with smith (is it smith?)
fernando
because theres a lot of talk about having an english manager

look at scotland, rubbish with vogts, decent with smith (is it smith?)

It doesnt matter if the manager is as good as Jose Mourinho or as awful as Mick McCarthy if theyre not english they shouldnt have the job. Honestly its totally against the premise of international football.
Reply 27493
an Siarach
First of all - So what? Secondly Pieterson has a legitimate claim to being english (his mother). The fact that the English cricket board are doing the wrong thing (if in fact the other two fellows you mention have no legitimate links to england) is hardly an excuse for the FA to do likewise.

The backroom staff is another subject altogether. All those with a direct influence on the match day - which is to say players and manager - should be English. Otherwise its hardly a team representative of England is it and it thus defeats the entire premise of internatioanl football. That nobody bats an eyelid is again irrelevant - this does not make it right.

So you would be unhappy if another foreign manager came in and won the world cup/euros with England? Would the fact that it defeats the purpose of international football spoil England winning a major tournament? Or alternatively, are you unhappy that Duncan Fletcher has been the man to revive English cricket from the realms of obscurity? Or the previous captain was born in India? Or the bowling coach is Australian? My point is that if so many people around the country are happy to support and back an english team which has many international ties (which is right, I have nothing against that), I find it odd that so many people are dubious about the football team continuing down a similar route. I'm not saying one way or the other is best, just find a little hypocritical (not you specifically, just in general).
kpg
The english cricket team consists of 2 welshmen (although ECB = the English and Welsh Cricket Board so fair enough), two south africans by birth and someone from papua new ginuea. The backroom staff also contains one man from Zimbabwe (i.e. the coach) and two from Australia. The Australian academy and Rodney Marsh are also heavily involved with the development of young players.

Owen Hargreaves was born in Canada and plays for England.
kpg
So you would be unhappy if another foreign manager came in and won the world cup/euros with England?

Just as i would be if my nation won the world cup with a non-scot. It defeats the purpose of international football and no prospective glory, regardless of how great, changes this.
Would the fact that it defeats the purpose of international football spoil England winning a major tournament?

Yes. It would not be an english victory as it would not be an english team.
Or alternatively, are you unhappy that Duncan Fletcher has been the man to revive English cricket from the realms of obscurity? Or the previous captain was born in India? Or the bowling coach is Australian? My point is that if so many people around the country are happy to support and back an english team which has many international ties (which is right, I have nothing against that), I find it odd that so many people are dubious about the football team continuing down a similar route. I'm not saying one way or the other is best, just find a little hypocritical.

Of course people will support and hunt for glory. This does not exonerate all the methods of achieving it. The English team should be an English team, otherwise it renders the whole point of international sport redundant and cannot be said to represent England. It is in no way hypocritical to believe that the english team should be english. It is, however, ludicrous to take any interest in international competition and support people representing foreign nations as this completely invalidates the basic premise of the competition.

The English team is supposed to represent England thus it should consist of Englishmen otherwise it does not represent England. Thats the reality and the hypocrisy of people willing to turn a blind eye to a non-englishman managing/playing for the nation simply because it brings them glory does nothing to change this.
NDGAARONDI
Owen Hargreaves was born in Canada and plays for England.

And has english parents and so is legitimate.
Reply 27497
Fair enough. Can't say I agree at all that it's a pre-requisite and anything else would spoil the achievment but fair play. One final point though, my point about hypocrisy was people willing to let it (foreign players/coachers) fly by with the cricket but not with football. For what it's worth I think the best english manager around is Alan Curbishley. Think he's a cracking manager and done some great, long term things with Charlton.

Udinese and Barca leading tonight. Other games in europe remain at 0-0.
kpg
Fair enough. Can't say I agree at all that it's a pre-requisite and anything else would spoil the achievment but fair play. One final point though, my point about hypocrisy was people willing to let it (foreign players/coachers) fly by with the cricket but not with football.

Ah i did misunderstand your point regarding foreign players etc. Yes it would be hypocritical to tolerate it in one sport and not another. As for curbishley yes id agree hes probably the best native candidate for the job although its not the strongest selection.
an Siarach
And has english parents and so is legitimate.

Correct. Same goes for KP for cricket.

Latest