The Student Room Group
Reply 580
XTinaA
Recently Henry roobed the keeper to score and see it disallowed, and this weekend Muzzy Izzet did it too (very good technically I thought). Both perfectly OK goals and would have been given a few years ago, I don't know what changed. The goals should really have stood.

One thing I'd like to bring up is the six-second rule. For those who forgot, it states that goalkeepers can have the ball in their hands for up to six seconds before they have to release it (the rule introduced a few years ago to replace the "four forward steps" rule). I have seen so many occasions where the goalkeeper holds the ball much longer and the referee allows it. When it was first introduced refs had no problem enforcing it but no one does anymore. Why? Why is this rule persistently overlooked by refs? I'm probably the only one in the world who will complain but. I do remember once when Shearer prevented Jasskelainen from clearing the ball in time, an indirect free kick was awarded and Shearer hammered it in. Would be interesting...

:eek: i never knew the 6 secs rule! :eek: but can you hold the ball for 6 seconds, then release it and ball bounces back to hand, then hold it for another 6 seconds? :rolleyes:
TheWolf
:eek: i never knew the 6 secs rule! :eek: but can you hold the ball for 6 seconds, then release it and ball bounces back to hand, then hold it for another 6 seconds? :rolleyes:

I think that is allowed. But I've seen goalies not bounce it, and hold it longer than the limit, and get away with it. Today.
XTinaA
Recently Henry roobed the keeper to score and see it disallowed, and this weekend Muzzy Izzet did it too (very good technically I thought). Both perfectly OK goals and would have been given a few years ago, I don't know what changed. The goals should really have stood.

One thing I'd like to bring up is the six-second rule. For those who forgot, it states that goalkeepers can have the ball in their hands for up to six seconds before they have to release it (the rule introduced a few years ago to replace the "four forward steps" rule). I have seen so many occasions where the goalkeeper holds the ball much longer and the referee allows it. When it was first introduced refs had no problem enforcing it but no one does anymore. Why? Why is this rule persistently overlooked by refs? I'm probably the only one in the world who will complain but. I do remember once when Shearer prevented Jasskelainen from clearing the ball in time, an indirect free kick was awarded and Shearer hammered it in. Would be interesting...
Would be interestin, they still enforce it in Spain and Italy, much more than here. Did ya c the Ronaldinho sendin off, it was ridiculous!! All he did was head it out of the keepers one hand, which the ball was just lying on top of. And got a 2nd yellow, evil evil referee he was.
mc_watson87
Would be interestin, they still enforce it in Spain and Italy, much more than here. Did ya c the Ronaldinho sendin off, it was ridiculous!! All he did was head it out of the keepers one hand, which the ball was just lying on top of. And got a 2nd yellow, evil evil referee he was.

All that needed was a word; "Oi, behave signor"...
The idea of the rule was a) to make sure keepers didn't waste time by holding onto the ball and b) to allow keepers to run to the edges of the box and start counter-attacks much quicker and more frequently.
XTinaA
All that needed was a word; "Oi, behave signor"...

Yeah not even that, cus Ronaldo wasn't breakin any rules. Stupid ref shud read the big book of how to referee!!
Reply 586
mc_watson87
Yeah not even that, cus Ronaldo wasn't breakin any rules. Stupid ref shud read the big book of how to referee!!

are you guys for/against video refing?
TheWolf

For it, for the big decisions at least. Not for offsides though, how would it be enforced?
TheWolf
Definitely for, for penalty decisions and other big stuff! Refs so often get it wrong!
Reply 589
mc_watson87
Definitely, for like penalty decisions and stuff! Refs so often get it wrong!

but video reffing could take away the enjoyment factor a bit?
piginapoke
Yes, as part of a complete overhaul of the rules, but not so that it wastes too much time, thus:

· The clock is stopped every time the ball goes dead, by the 4th official not the referee.
· 60 minutes are played like this, not 90
· The ref or 4th official checks the video after each goal, alleged goal or penalty incident
· A la American Football, each manager is allowed one opportunity per game to make the ref look over a decision again and reconsider based on video
· Cameras are inserted in each post (facing inwards) and the crossbar (facing downwards) [for some reason I think FIFA have said this won't be allowed]

Im for most that stuff, however against 60 minute thing. Don't really know why im against it though, guess i just like the whole 90 minutes game. :smile:
piginapoke
There is no feasible alternative to a linesman within the current offside rules.

A whacky idea would be a subbuteo style line across the pitch halfway between the middle and the goal line where you can only be offside once ahead of that line. Forwards will hang around here, so there'll always have to be defenders back there too, therefore the game will be more stretched and there will be more goals.

Though unfair, and that's what the offside rule is trying to combat. Perhaps there should be no linesmen but cameras facing across the pitch, with the images watched by an official who somehow alerts the ref when there's an infringment. Ultimately the ref should still be senior and can overrule but...
TheWolf
but video reffing could take away the enjoyment factor a bit?

That is true. I'm back against video reffing now. :smile: Man utd seem to do fine without it. :biggrin:
Reply 593
mc_watson87
That is true. I'm back against video reffing now. :smile: Man utd seem to do fine without it. :biggrin:

video evidence = less controversy = less topics to talk about down at the pub = not good unfortunately
Well referreing (good or bad) gives us something to discuss, and adds to the drama and entertainment. And football is entertainment so it's all good.
piginapoke
Man U and video refs... will we see Roy Keane chasing a VCR across the pitch shouting at it?

No, a DVD :rolleyes:
Good old Keane :biggrin:
Reply 597
mc_watson87
Good old Keane :biggrin:

great goal by chelseea 1-0 :wink:
TheWolf
great goal by chelseea 1-0 :wink:

By whom?
Reply 599
mc_watson87
By whom?

crespo - mutu's header hit the bar first tho - wtf i cant believe that that was not a penality! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 1-1

Latest