The Student Room Group
Reply 960
TheWolf
on the other hand a great team shouldnt lose 4-0 to d.coruna (ac milan)...in this sense i would say Deportivo is better than ac milan

But Depor lost 8-3 to Monaco!
Reply 961
bono
But in reference to your sig, numerous teams have a better track record in Europe than Arsenal anyway, hence your analogy about "It's consistency over the period that counts" doesn't back up the statement in your sig regarding Arsenal's position in Europe i.e.) They aren't the best, whether it be track record over recent years or just one season alone.

The following teams have a bettr track record than Arsenal in Europe:

1. Real
2. Bayern
3. Man U
4. Juve
5. Milan
6. Barcelona
7. Benfica
8. Ajax
9. Dinamo Kyiv
10. Anderlecht
11. Liverpool
12. Porto
13. Rangers
14. Celtic
15. Galatasary
16. Crvena Zvedzda
17. Inter
18. Sparta prague
19. PSV
20. Panathonaikos
21. Dortmund
22. CSKA Sofia
23. Feyenoord
24. Steaua Bucharest
25. Rosenborg
26. Spartak Moscow
27. IKF Goteburg
28. Valencia
29. Marseille
Reply 962
tammypotato
chelsea won't win the champions league... monaco will

I think Porto are better - excellent management, very good team and great confidence. Both team managers are amongst the most sought ofter now and one may move to Chelsea.
Reply 963
But that list is meaningless, as it places a far greater weighting on teams like Juventus and United who have done ok in the champions league, placing them above liverpool who have won it more or as many times than all but 2 of the top 10.
Reply 964
DuncanM
But that list is meaningless, as it places a far greater weighting on teams like Juventus and United who have done ok in the champions league, placing them above liverpool who have won it more times than ll but 2 of the top 10.

That is UEFA's official rankings. Juve have played many more games than Liverpool anyway.
Reply 965
They've played many more games due to the bloated champions league format, but we've won the damn thing more times so surley that should count for more!
Reply 966
DuncanM
They've played many more games due to the bloated champions league format, but we've won the damn thing more times so surley that should count for more!

2 points for win, 1 point for draw, if you were so good you should have won more games.
Reply 967
Well if it"s all the same to you I think we'll just keep our 4 European cups and you an keep your spot on a meaningless UEFA list. To say 'if you were so good' is just stupid, we were the best team in Europe for years but back then the competition wasn't bloated as it is now, funneling the top teams towards the latter stages every year. And if you got beaten 8-3 you wouldn't be in the semi-finals!
Reply 968
DuncanM
Well if it"s all the same to you I think we'll just keep our 4 European cups and you an keep your spot on a meaningless UEFA list. To say 'if you were so good' is just stupid, we were the best team in Europe for years but back then the competition wasn't bloated as it is now, funneling the top teams towards the latter stages every year. And if you got beaten 8-3 you wouldn't be in the semi-finals!

You mean the competition wasn't as fierce back then?

Anyway, Liverpool fans must let go of the past and accept their newly-found mediocrity.
Reply 969
No, I mean the competition was more unpredictable with all the teams in it capable of causeing an upset. Anyway, soon the past is all we'll have left if Houllier has another season :frown:

Who do you support, out of interest
Reply 970
DuncanM
No, I mean the competition was more unpredictable with all the teams in it capable of causeing an upset. Anyway, soon the past is all we'll have left if Houllier has another season :frown:

Who do you support, out of interest

I am a very keen follower of football, I support Burnley, but not passionately, but I have a soft spot for Newcastle, some of my family originates from Geordie land.
Reply 971
For the record (Bono/Piginapoke) Arsenal have played Chelsea FIVE times this season:

Premiership
Sat 18 H CHELSEA 2 1
Sat 21 A CHELSEA 1 2

Champions League
Wed Mar 24 A CHELSEA 1 1
Tue Apr 6 H CHELSEA 1 2

FA Cup
Sun Feb 15 H CHELSEA 2 1

Arsenal Form WWWDL
Chelsea Form: LLLDW

I think only Bono could determine from that showing, that based on this season, Chelsea are a better team than Arsenal.

As far as Bono's laughable comments on the Champions' League, I fear it is futile in even bothering to present an argument as it will just be ignored!
Reply 972
Well here's Arsenal Champions League Record

17-09-2003 European Cup Arsenal 0-3 Inter Defeat
30-09-2003 European Cup Lokomotiv Mos. 0-0 Arsenal Draw
21-10-2003 European Cup Dynamo Kiev 2-1 Arsenal Defeat
05-11-2003 European Cup Arsenal 1-0 Dynamo Kiev Win
25-11-2003 European Cup Inter 1-5 Arsenal Win
10-12-2003 European Cup Arsenal 2-0 Lokomotiv Mos. Win
24-02-2004 European Cup Celta Vigo 2-3 Arsenal Win
10-03-2004 European Cup Arsenal 2-0 Celta Vigo Win
24-03-2004 European Cup Chelsea 1-1 Arsenal Draw
06-04-2004 European Cup Arsenal 1-2 Chelsea Defeat

Home Wins - 3
Home Draws - 0
Home Defeats - 1
Away Wins - 2
Away Draws - 2
Away Defeats - 2

For the self- proclaimed "best team in the history of the world" it's pretting uninspiring stuff.

Now let us look at Chelsea's record:

European Cup Zilina 0 - 2 Chelsea 13-08-2003
European Cup Chelsea 3 - 0 Zilina 26-08-2003
European Cup Sparta Prague 0 - 1 Chelsea 16-09-2003
European Cup Chelsea 0 - 2 Besiktas 01-10-2003
European Cup Chelsea 2 - 1 Lazio 22-10-2003
European Cup Lazio 0 - 4 Chelsea 04-11-2003
European Cup Chelsea 0 - 0 Sparta Prague 26-11-2003
European Cup Besiktas 0 - 2 Chelsea 09-12-2003
European Cup VfB Stuttgart 0 - 1 Chelsea 25-02-2004
European Cup Chelsea 0 - 0 VfB Stuttgart 09-03-2004
European Cup Chelsea 1 - 1 Arsenal 24-03-2004
European Cup Arsenal 1 - 2 Chelsea 06-04-2004

Home Wins - 2
Home Draws - 3
Home Defeats - 1
Away Wins - 6
Away Draws - 0
Away Defeats - 0

I think I know which record makes for better reading. Chelsea undefeated away from Stamford Bridge.
Reply 973
piginapoke
The argument that previous season's form be taken into account when deciding how good a team is is ludicrous. Players and teams change continually. Leeds must be one of the top teams in Europe as they got to the semis a few years ago. What if Real Madrid sold all of their 'stars' and started playing with their youth team? Would they still be a good team then? They would have to be if taking into account past form. Non sequitur indeed.

Not in Arsenal's case. The backbone of their team has been together for several years and it is this conyinuity which is the main factor behind their success in the Premiership. Their only major last summer was to replace a dogy goalkeeper with an even dodgier one with a bad temper and attitude.
Reply 974
Percy I don't recall anyone ever saying anyone was the "best team in the history of the world". In fact quite the opposite as Pig and Kuz were stating how they were only taking this season into account yet Bono refused to let past seasons results cloud his (vague and misguided) judgement.
Percy
Not in Arsenal's case. The backbone of their team has been together for several years and it is this conyinuity which is the main factor behind their success in the Premiership. Their only major last summer was to replace a dogy goalkeeper with an even dodgier one with a bad temper and attitude.

i want gunners to get Robinson or someone promising like that - and if not a young one then one that can speak english - lehmann isnt bad just a bit unlucky at times
Reply 976
Kurdt Morello
i want gunners to get Robinson or someone promising like that - and if not a young one then one that can speak english - lehmann isnt bad just a bit unlucky at times

unlucky!?! he's a psycho! did you see what he did to ronaldo in the semi-final? arsenal were interested in niemi werent they?
Reply 977
Kurdt Morello

He must have been "unlucky" for most of his career then. What use is an "unlucky" goalkeeper?
Reply 978
Dil
unlucky!?! he's a psycho! did you see what he did to ronaldo in the semi-final? arsenal were interested in niemi werent they?

They can't afford him. Why would Niemi leave Southampton anyway? Saints have a good team and a better stadium and support.
Reply 979
Gimp
Percy I don't recall anyone ever saying anyone was the "best team in the history of the world". In fact quite the opposite as Pig and Kuz were stating how they were only taking this season into account yet Bono refused to let past seasons results cloud his (vague and misguided) judgement.

I am talking mainly about people within the club bestowing that title upon themselves.

Latest