The Student Room Group
Reply 980
Percy
They can't afford him. Why would Niemi leave Southampton anyway? Saints have a good team and a better stadium and support.

Why would he leave?? It's a little thing called champions league football mate- dunno if you've heard about it... :rolleyes:
Anyway - we have to make a few choice buys this summer to consolidate our gains - starting at the back - and Pires and Ljungberg were not particularly amazing this season so maybe we have to think of getting some replacements in - but good ones at that
piginapoke
Another case of misrepresentation. As I have said umpteen times (but it does not seem to be sinking in no matter how many times I have said it) previous years results have no bearing at all on the current teams and are therefore completely irrelevant. Desist with your misrepresentation please, its extremely deceitful.

Read above, you are once again citing completely irrelevant statistics in order to misrepresent my position in another act of deceit.

Again as previously pointed out, you have cited irrelevant statistics from previous seasons and the statistics you provided from this season (although sketchy to say the least as you clearly don't actually know what they are) are not true as previously pointed out.

Once again, you insist on using the defeated argument that previous seasons have a bearing on the current teams, once again deceit by misrepresentation. I'm, seeing a pattern emerging here, aren't you?

I disagree, I think these stats show far more than your "but Arsenal play great in the prem league by beating minnows 6-0" theory.

CL record is a better indidcator of who the best team in Europe is than your judgement of how Arsenal play in the prem league. That's pretty obvious.

Arsenal's record is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH to put forward any argument THAT THEY COULD POSSIBLY BE the best in europe. Simple.
Reply 983
Dil
Why would he leave?? It's a little thing called champions league football mate- dunno if you've heard about it... :rolleyes:

Yeah, not much chance of winning it with Arsenal though is there? :P
piginapoke
The argument that previous season's form be taken into account when deciding how good a team is is ludicrous.

But saying that Arsenal do well in the prem league and then using this to say "best in Europe" isn't? :rolleyes: Please..
Reply 985
bono
I disagree, I think these stats show far more than your "but Arsenal play great in the prem league by beating minnows 6-0" theory.

CL record is a better indidcator of who the best team in Europe is than your judgement of how Arsenal play in the prem league. That's pretty obvious.

Arsenal's record is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH to put forward any argument THAT THEY COULD POSSIBLY BE the best in europe. Simple.

Don't bother arguing with them. It's obvious by now Arsenal can't hack the Champions league. In fact, they can't really hack playing better team. Look at their record against Man U this season:

Charity Shield - Loss (albeit on penalties)
Away - 0-0 - The less said about Arsenal's appalling behaviour that day the better.
Home - 1-1
FA Cup 1-0 defeat. Outplayed for most of game.

Thats two draws and two defeats. Such worthy champions......
Reply 986
bono
But saying that Arsenal do well in the prem league and then using this to say "best in Europe" isn't? :rolleyes: Please..

Haven't you heard, Arsenal are the best team in the history of football!?
Reply 987
Percy

You sound bitter, Percy. :smile:
Reply 988
Gimp
You sound bitter, Percy. :smile:

Exasperated is more like it.
OK, let e get this straight.

Kuz's signature clearly said that Arsenal were the best in Europe.

Piginapoke backed this up by saying that using his judgement on how Arsenal play and their performances this season (prem league, FA Cup etc. mainly), that he thinks they are the best.

In reply, I said that:

a.) Arsenal were knocked out prior to the semi-final stage this season.
b.) Arsenal's track record in Europe over recent seasons is inferior to MANY teams - Even this season THEY WERE KNOCKED OUT PRE SEMI-FINAL STAGE.
c.) Their head to head record against top european teams is INFERIOR.
d.) I said that Piginapoke's argument was flawed because Arsenal's performance in the prem league HAS LITTLE RELEVANCE - It is not a consistent format to make comparisons between top European teams BECAUSE REAL/AC ETC. DO NOT PLAY PREM LEAGUE TEAMS.
e.) Surely when judging WHO THE BEST EUROPEAN TEAM IS, one would look at HEAD TO HEAD RECORDS BETWEEN EUROPEAN TEAMS TO MAKE A JUDGEMENT, as well as RECENT RACK RECORD IN THE ONLY COMPETITION WHERE WE THESE TEAMS DO PLAY EACHOTHER.

Yet somehow my argument is wrong and yours isn't?! please......
Reply 990
bono
OK, let e get this straight.

Piginapoke backed this up by saying that using his judgement on how Arsenal play and their performances this season (prem league, FA Cup etc. mainly), that he thinks they are the best.

In reply, I said that:

a.) Arsenal were knocked out prior to the semi-final stage this season.
b.) Arsenal's track record in Europe over recent seasons is inferior to MANY teams - Even this season THEY WERE KNOCKED OUT PRE SEMI-FINAL STAGE.
c.) Their head to head record against top european teams is INFERIOR.
d.) I said that Piginapoke's argument was flawed because Arsenal's performance in the prem league HAS LITTLE RELEVANCE - It is not a consistent format to make comparisons between top European teams BECAUSE REAL/AC ETC. DO NOT PLAY PREM LEAGUE TEAMS.
e.) Surely when judging WHO THE BEST EUROPEAN TEAM IS, one would look at HEAD TO HEAD RECORDS BETWEEN EUROPEAN TEAMS TO MAKE A JUDGEMENT, as well as RECENT RACK RECORD IN THE ONLY COMPETITION WHERE WE THESE TEAMS DO PLAY EACHOTHER.

Yet somehow my argument is wrong and yours isn't?! please......

It's a typical Arsenal supporter's argument. They're as bad losers as they are winners.
Percy

ROFl :biggrin:
Reply 992
bono

I apologise, I have signatures and avatars diabled so was unaware of this fact. Personally, I think it would take a rather misinformed person to not acknowledge that Arsenal, currently, are one of the best teams in Europe.

In getting to the semi-finals of two competitions, and the quarter-finals of another, in addition to the league, Arsenal obviously had many games to play and even the most consistent teams slip up, especially when under such a busy schedule. I think they state of the semi-finals of the Champions' League this season is all the evidence you need to see that you cannot judge "the best team" by their performance in a knock-out competition.

Bono you even conceded yourself that you have limited football knowledge and you do not really follow it. Perhaps you should back down. :smile:
Reply 993
Percy
Don't bother arguing with them. It's obvious by now Arsenal can't hack the Champions league. In fact, they can't really hack playing better team. Look at their record against Man U this season:

Charity Shield - Loss (albeit on penalties)
Away - 0-0 - The less said about Arsenal's appalling behaviour that day the better.
Home - 1-1
FA Cup 1-0 defeat. Outplayed for most of game.

Thats two draws and two defeats. Such worthy champions......

And somehow we're still miles ahead of man u! :biggrin:
Reply 994
Xenon
And somehow we're still miles ahead of man u! :biggrin:

In what sense?
Reply 995
Gimp
I apologise, I have signatures and avatars diabled so was unaware of this fact. Personally, I think it would take a rather misinformed person to not acknowledge that Arsenal, currently, are one of the best teams in Europe.

In getting to the semi-finals of two competitions, and the quarter-finals of another, in addition to the league, Arsenal obviously had many games to play and even the most consistent teams slip up, especially when under such a busy schedule. I think they state of the semi-finals of the Champions' League this season is all the evidence you need to see that you cannot judge "the best team" by their performance in a knock-out competition.

Bono you even conceded yourself that you have limited football knowledge and you do not really follow it. Perhaps you should back down. :smile:

Bono is correct in this particular instance. If Arsenal was as good as they think they are they would have risen above their fixture list. The Man Utd treble winning team on 1999 did this, having played more matches and against tougher opposition.
Reply 996
Percy
In what sense?

Have you even seen the premiership table recently? And I didn't see Man u getting far in the champions league this year!
Reply 997
Xenon
Have you even seen the premiership table recently? And I didn't see Man u getting far in the champions league this year!

Did Arsenal get far in the Champions League? They were lucky to even get to the quarter finals- Celta Vigo aren't exactly worldbeaters. Yeah, I am aware of the Premiership table. Arsenal have been more consistent, doesn't mean they are miles ahead of United because they can beat Wolves and Man City. Doesn't do any harm that David Dein is a senior figure at the FA either. Nice one lads.
Gimp

Not when may argument is more logical and has better jusitification than the opinions I've faced so far, no.

Arsenal's prem league record in comparing to other European teams is IRRLEVANT AS THE FORMAT OF COMPETITION IS DIFFERENT - AC/REAL DO NOT PLAY THESE WHIPPING BOYS.

Champions league record, head to head records between TOP EUROPEAN TEAMS WHO ARE CANDIDATES FOR BEST EUROPEAN TEAM does have FAR MORE RELEVANCE - THE FORMAT OF COMPETITION IS THE SAME as these teams ARE PLAYING EACHOTHER EVERY YEAR.
Reply 999
bono
Not when may argument is more logical and has better jusitification than the opinions I've faced so far, no.

Arsenal's prem league record in comparing to other European teams is IRRLEVANT AS THE FORMAT OF COMPETITION IS DIFFERENT - AC/REAL DO NOT PLAY THESE WHIPPING BOYS.

Champions league record, head to head records between TOP EUROPEAN TEAMS WHO ARE CANDIDATES FOR BEST EUROPEAN TEAM does have FAR MORE RELEVANCE - THE FORMAT OF COMPETITION IS THE SAME as these teams ARE PLAYING EACHOTHER EVERY YEAR.

Capitalising your arguments does not validate them. Sorry.

Latest