The Student Room Group
afireinside©
Well everybody is criticising Chelsea for buying the title.. I reckon Liverpool are 3rd biggest spenders in the UK over the past 5 years..

I hope they get ****ted in the final, and for if there is any justice in this world AC Milan (or PSV) will win from a goal that didn't even cross the line and the RS will have a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed and the RS will go bankrupt and liquidate out of existence...

:smile:

If he didn't give the goal then he would have sent the keeper off and given a penalty. He let Chelsea off by giving the goal imo.

And you keep calling Liverpool average - what are Everton if not average? You talk as if there is a gulf in class but it's only a few points. And I don't care how much Liverpool have spent, quality is quality regardless of how you got there, and I would say Everton and Liverpool are pretty equal. And I don't care what everyone keeps saying - the Champions League is THE competition to win. The league is consistency but the CL is a true sign of the worthiness of any team, if Liverpool can beat all the teams they have done so far, that is more than a fluke. Their league form is erratic - so what? Anyone who can get as far them obviously have far more about them than mere averageness.
Quote from the chosen one, "The linesman scored the goal."

Quality stuff.
Reply 14562
I'm off to bed, safe in the knowledge that after tonight performance Merseyside finally has a team to be proud of. :smile:

Night people.
endeavour
Quote from the chosen one, "The linesman scored the goal."

Quality stuff.

I fail to see the fuss over the goal :confused: the referee could either:

1) give the goal

2) send the keeper off and give a penalty

Which would Jose have preferred?
veryjammy

1) give the goal

not sure really...i would rather give a penalty but no sending off and it to be a clear goal
personally i wish the broadcasting companies would place cameras in/near the goal and use this technology for goal line situations

i thought mourinho's comments were a bit too much but "meh"
well done liverpool - dont lose in the final (and this is from a chelsea supporter)
veryjammy

1) give the goal

No. He allowed play on, well, assuming he thought it was a foul; no foul was given and he didn't gesture that it was a foul. He allowed play on, and, as it's clear the ball didn't cross the line it should have continued with the ball being played up the field by Chelsea.
I just knew another stroke of luck would go in their favour, there's no way, if that goal didn't stand, Liverpool would have won.
afireinside©
No. He allowed play on, well, assuming he thought it was a foul; no foul was given and he didn't gesture that it was a foul. He allowed play on, and, as it's clear the ball didn't cross the line it should have continued with the ball being played up the field by Chelsea.
I just knew another stroke of luck would go in their favour, there's no way, if that goal didn't stand, Liverpool would have won.

He played advantage, if the ball didn't get anywhere near the net it would have been a penalty, the keeper brought him down without touching the ball. And if it had been a penalty he would have to have been sent off, last man and all that.

And for all their possession Chelsea were totally bereft of a cutting edge. They had one good chance, that's not good enough to say they should have won.
veryjammy
And for all their possession Chelsea were totally bereft of a cutting edge. They had one good chance, that's not good enough to say they should have won.

Yup, Chelsea managed only 1 shot on target and even that came from a set piece. Liverpool had 4 shots on target.
veryjammy
He played advantage, if the ball didn't get anywhere near the net it would have been a penalty, the keeper brought him down without touching the ball. And if it had been a penalty he would have to have been sent off, last man and all that.

Chelsea were the better team. Liverpool played like they were the away team, defending and wasting time from the 4th minute onwards..
Credit to them though, they did it effectively; although should they win the CL they could be crowned the most boring champions in the history of the competition..
afireinside©
Chelsea were the better team. Liverpool played like they were the away team, defending and wasting time from the 4th minute onwards..
Credit to them though, they did it effectively; although should they win the CL they could be crowned the most boring champions in the history of the competition..

I do sort of agree with you, technically Chelsea are usually better but tonight Liverpool defended manfully and despite my ulterior motives being a United fan, I thought they did enough to warrant the win since Chelsea couldn't create much. And for mcuh of the season Chelsea have effectively got a goal and then put up a blockade, this was no different.

To be honest, I can see Liverpool getting a good stuffing off Milan but who knows? They made United look pitifully ordinary and they are just magnificent at creating space and passing the ball. They have to be favourites but the way Liverpool have performed so far in Europe.....
veryjammy
I do sort of agree with you, technically Chelsea are usually better but tonight Liverpool defended manfully and despite my ulterior motives being a United fan, I thought they did enough to warrant the win since Chelsea couldn't create much. And for mcuh of the season Chelsea have effectively got a goal and then put up a blockade, this was no different.

To be honest, I can see Liverpool getting a good stuffing off Milan but who knows? They made United look pitifully ordinary and they are just magnificent at creating space and passing the ball. They have to be favourites but the way Liverpool have performed so far in Europe.....

Liverpool did great to put up a 10-man defence to stop Chelsea. Let's also remember Chelsea were without their two star wingers..
It's really sad to see that happen though, after scoring a high debatable goal they just.. sat back.. for the rest of the game. Must have been really entertaining for the fans that are paying sh*tloads to watch these games.. you know what I mean?
Reply 14571
afireinside©

Aye maybe, but still not as boring as Red Star Belgrade in the European Cup in about 91. Defended for 120 mins against Marseilles and won it on penalties.
good
night
El Pollo Diablo
Aye maybe, but still not as boring as Red Star Belgrade in the European Cup in about 91. Defended for 120 mins against Marseilles and won it on penalties.

Haha, well.. they must be working towards that :p:
Night pal :smile:
its prolly been mentioned, but even if Garcia's goal turns out not to have been, Chelsea were lucky. Put it this way, would you rather concede or have your star keeper sent off, be very likely to concede from the ensuing penalty and play 90 minutes of a game with 10 men?
El Stevo
its prolly been mentioned, but even if Garcia's goal turns out not to have been, Chelsea were lucky. Put it this way, would you rather concede or have your star keeper sent off, be very likely to concede from the ensuing penalty and play 90 minutes of a game with 10 men?

There's no way Petr Cech would have been sent off. Penalty yes, red card no.
****ing linesman can see through peoples' bodies?! He should be extradited to USA (Area 51). Unsure on the red card thing, can't remember if Cech was actually the last man. Oh well, yet another European Cup trphy gone amiss. Bad enough last season let alone this season and Liverpool have won it enough times. Small clubs perish with decisions like these, especially away from home. Glad Porto won it last year for that reason. Football is so lacking behind goal line technology and video referees it's unbelievable. Mourinho the enemy of football? No. Those unelected, undemocratic bureaucrats are. Imagine if that was a goal in the league that got your club relegated from the Premiership and since then your club turned into MK Dons/Sheffield Wednesday. :eek:
goldenbarnes
There's no way Petr Cech would have been sent off. Penalty yes, red card no.

Why not? Whenever a keeper is the last man and brings the player down without even touching the ball they always get sent off, several newspaper reports today have mentioned the referee was perhaps lenient on Chelsea. imo he didnt want to penalise a team so heavily 4 minutes into a european semi-final and decided to give the goal instead.
LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL

Soz a bit late with this..but I am pleased AND proud of em (oooooh..the alliteration!!!!)....
Reply 14579
First, and possibly the last time i'll ever agree with the Telegraph!

This was the magical night when Liverpool Football Club found themselves again, when they lived up to the weighty legacy of their glorious past and played with unyielding belief to reach the May 25 final of the Champions League.

Driven on by the magnificent Didi Hamann, Liverpool ran the Chelsea juggernaut off the road to Istanbul. And the noise was just incredible.

Either PSV Eindhoven or AC Milan await on the banks of the Bosphorus but Liverpool will fear no one now. Luis Garcia's early strike did the damage, but this was an evening of red-shirted gladiators all over the pitch. Hamann was immense in midfield, Steven Gerrard and John Arne Riise not far behind in influence. In defence, the magnificent Jamie Carragher stood firm as Jose Mourinho's astonishing Champions League run ended.

Building for two hours from the moment the turnstiles clicked open, a wave of unbelievable noise had rolled into Chelsea's players, knocking them back, scrambling their senses and lifting Liverpool, who immediately seized the initiative in this all-Premiership passion play through Garcia's lightning strike.

John Terry and company had not needed to glance up at the sign in the tunnel reminding them that "This is Anfield". The pillars and rafters of this famous stadium were shaking as the songs, screams and chants cascaded down from all sides. This could only be Anfield on a major European evening. Even Roman Abramovich, the man with all the riches, looked on awestruck. Money cannot buy tradition like this.

Feeding on the fervour of their support, Liverpool were sharper, hungrier, high on adrenalin, on tempo, and on ambition, certainly in the first half. Within four minutes the fired-up hosts were ahead. Inevitably, Gerrard was involved, flicking the ball brilliantly over the thick blue line of Chelsea's defence for Milan Baros to chase. Petr Cech raced from his line, Czech keeper against Czech striker with no mercy allowed for a compatriot.

The collision was bone-juddering. Cech clattered Baros as the Liverpool forward poked the ball over him. Cech should have been dismissed but Lubos Michel waved play on, allowing Garcia to dart in to apply the coup de grâce.

William Gallas hooked the ball away but the Slovak linesman, Roman Slysko, ruled it had crossed the line. Four separate television angles proved inconclusive, making it even more of a massive decision by Michel and his linesman.

Chelsea, deprived of Damien Duff and with Arjen Robben starting on the bench, struggled to find their stride. Liverpool dominated the half, snapping into tackles, launching counter-attacks, matching their fans' fervour.

Hamann was superb, shielding the back four as if his career, let alone his season, depended on it. The German resembles an unassuming academic but he could give the toughest of warriors a lecture in steely defiance. Challenge after challenge was unleashed on those in blue who dared enter his domain; Frank Lampard and Eidur Gudjohnsen were both dispossessed by Hamann tackles brimming with timing and commitment.

Stunned, Chelsea looked for an outlet but Didier Drogba was too sluggish, even wasting a wonderful Joe Cole pass midway through a frenetic first half.

Cole, commendably, and Lampard, inevitably, sought to fight through the red-tinged storm, trying desperately to drag Chelsea back into contention. Lampard even lost his habitual composure with officialdom, ordering Michel to watch some of the Liverpool tackles.

In truth, there was little malicious about the challenges from the men in red. Hamann and Gerrard, Igor Biscan and Carragher simply took the sight of a Chelsea player in possession as an affront to them personally and Liverpool collectively.

Every Chelsea touch drew relentless derision, every time Mourinho stepped into the technical area he was greeted with the sort of abuse that would make even Wayne Rooney blush.

One banner hanging from the Anfield Road stand read "Away You Go Mourinho", which was the politest welcome.

Mourinho's Liverpool counterpart, Benitez, was constantly up from his seat, gesticulating at his players, vicariously sharing every kick and emotion with them. They love Benitez here. A Spanish flag adorned the Kop emblazoned with "Vote Rafa". No Euro-sceptics here.

The Kop were at their colourful best, all manner of messages carried on sheets and banners. "Make Us Dream" read one. All Merseyside society was here; Steve McManaman had come from Manchester, Michael Owen from Madrid. No one wanted to miss this. Yet tense times lay ahead.

As the second half unfolded, Chelsea were beginning to gain in danger, at last stitching together some counter-attacks. But Hamann would not let them pass, blocking a shot from Cole and then sliding in to spirit the ball away from the charging Gudjohnsen.

Still Chelsea pressed, Drogba and Gudjohnsen both shooting over from range.

Then came Lampard just after the hour mark, hitting a free kick low and hard, the ball accelerating goalwards until Jerzy Dudek dropped to his right to push it to safety.

Mourinho had to make his move. Robben raced on, so did Mateja Kezman. Chelsea were laying siege to Dudek's area and only a fine interception by Carragher prevented the ball reaching Drogba. Carragher then thwarted Robben.

And still Chelsea came, Drogba heading wide, but Liverpool hit back, lifting the siege and Djibril Cisse twice went close. Six minutes of injury time had to be negotiated. And then, as Anfield held its breath, the well-placed Gudjohnsen shot wide, Michel blew for full time and Anfield just went crazy.

Latest