The Student Room Group
Reply 14980
sb1986
Yeah i know, its all about the money man! Im still waitin to see wat investment we get in the summer, if we do get one at all. combined with the CL run money and the new sponsorship deal + about 15m from selling players we could buy atleast 5 players. Same goes for u lot, if u get in the CL ull get some players aswell.

It's one thing having the money for good players, it's another to be attracting them. TBH Everton have peaked, at this moment in time, their prospects don't involve them getting any further than 4th, and a small run in the CL. Unless you're intending on buying Bowyer, Diouf (gifted rejects with attitude problems) etc, I don't quite see how you're going to attract quality players who would ensure that you sustain this level of success. Especially when clubs like Bolton and Middlesborough aren't far off of you.

The other thing is, what kind of pulling power does Moyes have? Beattie :rolleyes: ?
sb1986
Yeah i know, its all about the money man! Im still waitin to see wat investment we get in the summer, if we do get one at all. combined with the CL run money and the new sponsorship deal + about 15m from selling players we could buy atleast 5 players. Same goes for u lot, if u get in the CL ull get some players aswell.

Well..

We will finally have the ability to attrach quality players to our football club. Let's be honest, it hasn't been an attractive club to join for too long - finally this can change because of this one brilliant season!
Players like Van Bommel who said at the start of the season that we weren't a big enough club for him to join will probably not be thinking twice, although i'm aware that he's joining someone like Barca.. still can't compete with them guys! :cool:
I reckon maybe 15m may be spent in the summer, which is reasonable; as we don't want to go spending 30m and end up seriously letting ourselves down next season and therefore going into debt a la Leeds United!

I reckon Liverpool will probably spend about 30m, unfortunately, although the quality of player they sign may be dependant on whether they can win the CL final vs Milan. Otherwise, instead of joining the 'European Champions' players would be joining the '5th placed premier league team'.. doesn't quite sound anywhere near as attractive as the first one!
But, aye. You b*stards always seem to be able to attract quality players somehow, Alonso, Kewell (who has now turned into a non-quality player!), Gerrard (otherwise he'd have left!) -

Come on the Arsenal.
Liverpool could have accepted that £70m offer...
NDGAARONDI
I wish the FA charge Souness for his comments from time to time. He's getting worse than SAF, Wenger and Mourinho.

He is one whinging cnut. He's always moaning about players getting sent off (maybe change your mentality from punching players to tackling them or refraining yourself), bad refereeing decisions (we call get them, think Chelsea vs Liverpool) and just everything in general.

Shut up Graeme.
Reply 14984
Raindance
It's one thing having the money for good players, it's another to be attracting them. TBH Everton have peaked, at this moment in time, their prospects don't involve them getting any further than 4th, and a small run in the CL. Unless you're intending on buying Bowyer, Diouf (gifted rejects with attitude problems) etc, I don't quite see how you're going to attract quality players who would ensure that you sustain this level of success. Especially when clubs like Bolton and Middlesborough aren't far off of you.

The other thing is, what kind of pulling power does Moyes have? Beattie :rolleyes: ?

but u agree that liverpool will attract the big guns [mainly cos of rafa]
NDGAARONDI
Liverpool could have accepted that £70m offer...

Steve Morgan?
Reason they didn't is because of John Moores or whoever it was doesn't get on with Morgan and thus didn't wanna sell his shares to him!
But, to be honest, 70m is 70m; the guy didn't even want control of the club, so they must be mad not to have accepted his offer! :eek:
Reply 14986
dna©
Well..

We will finally have the ability to attrach quality players to our football club. Let's be honest, it hasn't been an attractive club to join for too long - finally this can change because of this one brilliant season!
Players like Van Bommel who said at the start of the season that we weren't a big enough club for him to join will probably not be thinking twice, although i'm aware that he's joining someone like Barca.. still can't compete with them guys! :cool:
I reckon maybe 15m may be spent in the summer, which is reasonable; as we don't want to go spending 30m and end up seriously letting ourselves down next season and therefore going into debt a la Leeds United!

I reckon Liverpool will probably spend about 30m, unfortunately, although the quality of player they sign may be dependant on whether they can win the CL final vs Milan. Otherwise, instead of joining the 'European Champions' players would be joining the '5th placed premier league team'.. doesn't quite sound anywhere near as attractive as the first one!
But, aye. You b*stards always seem to be able to attract quality players somehow, Alonso, Kewell (who has now turned into a non-quality player!), Gerrard (otherwise he'd have left!) -

Come on the Arsenal.

i personally think that we will get big names from spain [u know all about that, with our little bet]...rafa knows what he is doing, and maybe an english CB like upson.

As for u lot, I really dont know maybe ull get some big names maybe u wont....well see in the summer.

Yeah the '5th place premier league' doesnt sound that good at all, in fact is sounds crap but if rafa convinced alonso so snub real then im pretty sure he can do the same again.
Raindance

Everton have shown all season that they can compete with the best the Premier League has to offer, with the exception of Chelsea. We've 'peaked' all season, we haven't dropped out of the top four since September.
Moyes has plenty of pulling power, don't kid yourself. He'll get Manager of the Year for sure, and has a great reputation for being a fair manager and one of the best up and coming managers in the game. He has for a long time been linked to the Man Utd hot-seat, but he'll be staying.
We'll have money to spend, we have some of the best players in the Premier League playing for us in the shape of Tim Cahill, Mikel Arteta (most would disagree, but just look at their performances - Cahill - 12 goals in first season from midfield) and we will be in the Champions League; which is more than Liverpool, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Tottenham and all of the other so-called big guns in the Premier League will be able to boast about.
All in all, I think that's plenty of pulling power, although if you'd rather join a team with Biscan, Traore, Dudek, Kirkland, Pellegrino, Morientes and with a reputation for buying heavily every summer to replace expensive flops then obviously that'd be the players choice..! :cool:
Reply 14988
dna©
Steve Morgan?
Reason they didn't is because of John Moores or whoever it was doesn't get on with Morgan and thus didn't wanna sell his shares to him!
But, to be honest, 70m is 70m; the guy didn't even want control of the club, so they must be mad not to have accepted his offer! :eek:

Yeah the problem is that Moores doesnt want to let go of the club and let someone else in but im pretty sure he will soon, he has said it at several AGM meetings and other occasions that he will consider his future.
Reply 14989
sb1986
but u agree that liverpool will attract the big guns [mainly cos of rafa]

Because Liverpool have better prospects.

They have Rafa for a start, who is far more respected in the game than most. Although they've had an off season in the Premiership (remember that it was Benitez's first season) they've beaten some of the best Europe has to offer in Chelsea & Juventus. Liverpool have an arguably richer heritage than most - 4 ECs et al. They already have internationally reknowned players.

Basically, if you were Joaquin, for example, who would you choose to play for out of Liverpool and Chelsea?
Reply 14990
dna©

Everton have shown all season that they can compete with the best the Premier League has to offer, with the exception of Chelsea. We've 'peaked' all season, we haven't dropped out of the top four since September.
Moyes has plenty of pulling power, don't kid yourself. He'll get Manager of the Year for sure, and has a great reputation for being a fair manager and one of the best up and coming managers in the game. He has for a long time been linked to the Man Utd hot-seat, but he'll be staying.
We'll have money to spend, we have some of the best players in the Premier League playing for us in the shape of Tim Cahill, Mikel Arteta (most would disagree, but just look at their performances - Cahill - 12 goals in first season from midfield) and we will be in the Champions League; which is more than Liverpool, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Tottenham and all of the other so-called big guns in the Premier League will be able to boast about.
All in all, I think that's plenty of pulling power, although if you'd rather join a team with Biscan, Traore, Dudek, Kirkland, Pellegrino, Morientes and with a reputation for buying heavily every summer to replace expensive flops then obviously that'd be the players choice..! :cool:

i know this is an excuse, and u can grill me for saying it, but u lot have peaked and had ur best season whereas weve had our worst. this just shows the gap in expectation. i think u lot can only go downhill whereas we can and have to go uphill. still u do deserve the 4th place i cant argue with that one.
sb1986
i personally think that we will get big names from spain [u know all about that, with our little bet]...rafa knows what he is doing, and maybe an english CB like upson.
As for u lot, I really dont know maybe ull get some big names maybe u wont....well see in the summer.
Yeah the '5th place premier league' doesnt sound that good at all, in fact is sounds crap but if rafa convinced alonso so snub real then im pretty sure he can do the same again.

Think about it; Alonso really wouldn't have snubbed Real to join Liverpool.. it's obvious Liverpool got in there when Real weren't ready to make an offer..

I think Beneathus needs to buy some English talent. He's killing the spirit of the Liverpool team; the Merseyside derby means nothing to half of your players - and that's the game that most of your fans look forward to each year the most! Buy british, Moyes does and look what it did for him! :cool:
Reply 14992
Raindance
Because Liverpool have better prospects.

They have Rafa for a start, who is far more respected in the game than most. Although they've had an off season in the Premiership (remember that it was Benitez's first season) they've beaten some of the best Europe has to offer in Chelsea & Juventus. Liverpool have an arguably richer heritage than most - 4 ECs et al. They already have internationally reknowned players.

Basically, if you were Joaquin, for example, who would you choose to play for out of Liverpool and Chelsea?

we will find the answer to that soon, did u read the athletico coaches quotes this weekend? i take it you did.
technik
if man city win next week its uefa cup time :biggrin:

Woh :eek:

Pearce has done an incredible job with them!
Reply 14994
dna©

Think about it; Alonso really wouldn't have snubbed Real to join Liverpool.. it's obvious Liverpool got in there when Real weren't ready to make an offer..

I think Beneathus needs to buy some English talent. He's killing the spirit of the Liverpool team; the Merseyside derby means nothing to half of your players - and that's the game that most of your fans look forward to each year the most! Buy british, Moyes does and look what it did for him! :cool:

agree fully with the english talent, SWP, Upson, Ashton Johnson....etc
Raindance
They have Rafa for a start

Who is famed for making rash decisions constantly. Leaving out his star central defender and then ending up losing games; chopping and changing his attacking options and resulting in no decent partnerships being formed, dropping his goalkeepers after they make a mistake or two.. bla bla

I'd probably wait for a better team than Liverpool to show some interest in me.. Although if I was him maybe i'd join Chelsea, as i'd be good enough to gain a starting place week-in week-out :smile:
Reply 14996
LOL i jus read and got the 'beneathus' thing....haha very funny.
Reply 14997
Raindance

Chelsea.
sb1986
i know this is an excuse, and u can grill me for saying it, but u lot have peaked and had ur best season whereas weve had our worst. this just shows the gap in expectation. i think u lot can only go downhill whereas we can and have to go uphill. still u do deserve the 4th place i cant argue with that one.

I don't think Liverpool can expect to do better next season. Teams like Newcastle, Spurs, Middlesbrough are all going to buy big in the summer, and this'll make it even harder for EFC or LFC to challenge for the 4th spot. Next season I can see it being Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd in the top three again..
dna©

Apparently Ferguson has become interested in him! :smile:

Latest