The Student Room Group

Clothes don't suit me ..looking fat and stumpy.

Ok so at barely 5ft I'm short and have to be very careful of my weight or I look stumpy. My problem is clothes don't suit me I just look even stumpier in them :/ I see girls in jumpers and shirts all the time and you can tell they are slim but with me I just look fat. I'm not saying that I'm really slim or anything but I'm not overweight at 113 pounds. Or is it just a matter of losing more weight? I'm wondering what's the best way around this? It looks like I have a big stomach through clothing expecially at the end of the day. Here are some pics, I'm just wondering how to look less stumpy lol.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inthedark1
Ok so at barely 5ft I'm short and have to be very careful of my weight or I look stumpy. My problem is clothes don't suit me I just look even stumpier in them :/ I see girls in jumpers and shirts all the time and you can tell they are slim but with me I just look fat. I'm not saying that I'm really slim or anything but I'm not overweight at 113 pounds. Or is it just a matter of losing more weight? I'm wondering what's the best way around this? It looks like I have a big stomach through clothing expecially at the end of the day. Here are some pics, I'm just wondering how to look less stumpy lol.

Hi! You can't just say clothes don't fit you! :smile: Everyone had their own shape and you need to find the style of clothed tjat suit you! If you think/know you have big stomach avoid tighter clothing, maybe an A-line top instead. Maybe wear freer clothes; it shouldn't have to be a case of losing weight- unless you really need or want to. Honestly (from the pics) you look fine- really slim! Just wear want you want to, as long as you are comfortable!
If you are proportionate and are healthy you should be fine. If you want to be :smile:

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by karmacrunch
Hi! You can't just say clothes don't fit you! :smile: Everyone had their own shape and you need to find the style of clothed tjat suit you! If you think/know you have big stomach avoid tighter clothing, maybe an A-line top instead. Maybe wear freer clothes; it shouldn't have to be a case of losing weight- unless you really need or want to. Honestly (from the pics) you look fine- really slim! Just wear want you want to, as long as you are comfortable!
If you are proportionate and are healthy you should be fine. If you want to be :smile:

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks it's just if I don't wear tight tops I look bigger/stumpy. Yet if I wear figure hugging stuff it shows my sticky out bloated stomach which is far worse after eating/at the end of the day. But yea I don't know what suits me.
I think the same thing - I buy a shirt in a shop or a look online and I see a model wearing it as a demonstration and I think "wow! that looks great! therefore it's going to look great on stumpy old me!" and I'm usually wrong :lol:
I don't know what you are doing with that shirt on. It is way too big for you. The sleeves shouldn't be covering your hand.
You're not overweight at all. The shirt in the second pic doesn't fit you properly in my opinion and it's too masculine - it would be the same for most girls tho. Maybe what you need to do is dress for your body shape? :smile:
If you're worried about your belly sticking out it might have something to do with your posture - sticking your bum out somehow pushes your belly out too. I know cause i do it too haha.
But try figuring out your body shape - i can't see because they're all side pics.

Not looking bad at all :smile:
Are you sure its not your posture?
Reply 7
Original post by DorianGrayism
I don't know what you are doing with that shirt on. It is way too big for you. The sleeves shouldn't be covering your hand.

I see lots of girls with baggy shirts tucked in denim shorts. The size down didn't fit me round the shoulders. It's a shirt I got to tuck in shorts lol
Reply 8
5ft and 113 lb is quite slim to be honest. I would probably try exercising to tone your muscles and abdomen cause you are probably skinny fat. Things like skipping, squats, crunches and planks would help you. You could also where flat platform shoes, if that's within your style to raise your height and make you look slimmer. I know heels are a no no, if you are trying to look casual or going to college.
Reply 9
Original post by hellodave5
Not looking bad at all :smile:
Are you sure its not your posture?

The stomach sticking out is yes I think I have a bit of that hyper lordosis going on. Doesn't make that much difference to me looking stumpy and only being 5ft though.
I see lots of girls with baggy shirts tucked in denim shorts. The size down didn't fit me round the shoulders. It's a shirt I got to tuck in shorts lol

I see what you mean, do you roll up the sleeves when you style it?
Reply 11
Original post by Budashra
5ft and 113 lb is quite slim to be honest. I would probably try exercising to tone your muscles and abdomen cause you are probably skinny fat. Things like skipping, squats, crunches and planks would help you. You could also where flat platform shoes, if that's within your style to raise your height and make you look slimmer. I know heels are a no no, if you are trying to look casual or going to college.

I work out 5 times a week including an abb circuit I do a lot of short distance/sprint running. It must be my diet or just body build I don't know I've never been able to look very slim, only time I lose weight is when I'm ill and I still look stumpy lol.
Reply 12

by the way, what's your clothes size. If you are more than a size 10 at 5 ft, then that's probably why you look stumpy?
Reply 13
Original post by brownsugar-xx
I see what you mean, do you roll up the sleeves when you style it?

That was my plan to yes lol, knowing me I'd forget though
Reply 14
by the way, what's your clothes size. If you are more than a size 10 at 5 ft, then that's probably why you look stumpy?

It really depends where I go. In next I'm a size 6, in h and m size 10 and 12's can fit me. I have broad shoulders so I like slightly baggy shirts.
Reply 15
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
I think the same thing - I buy a shirt in a shop or a look online and I see a model wearing it as a demonstration and I think "wow! that looks great! therefore it's going to look great on stumpy old me!" and I'm usually wrong :lol:

Ha exactly this!
Reply 16
I work out 5 times a week including an abb circuit I do a lot of short distance/sprint running. It must be my diet or just body build I don't know I've never been able to look very slim, only time I lose weight is when I'm ill and I still look stumpy lol.

every body can lose weight. You just have to make sure you are active enough and the amount that's going in is less than the amount of what's being used. You have to modify your diet. Things like junk food are a no no obviously and avoiding carbohydrates from things like bread, rice or pasta and settling for fruit and veg makes makes things easier.
Reply 17
It really depends where I go. In next I'm a size 6, in h and m size 10 and 12's can fit me. I have broad shoulders so I like slightly baggy shirts.

hmm, you should not really be wearing baggy t-shirts. You shouldn't be shy of your broad shoulders.V neck tops and blouses along with skirts and dresses with frills and layering at the bottom are always a good way to balance them.
Reply 18
hmm, you should not really be wearing baggy t-shirts. You shouldn't be shy of your broad shoulders.V neck tops and blouses along with skirts and dresses with frills and layering at the bottom are always a good way to balance them.

Its not that I'm shy I wear baggy shirts because the ones that are a tighter fit don't have enough room in the back and shoulder areas
Reply 19
every body can lose weight. You just have to make sure you are active enough and the amount that's going in is less than the amount of what's being used. You have to modify your diet. Things like junk food are a no no obviously and avoiding carbohydrates from things like bread, rice or pasta and settling for fruit and veg makes makes things easier.

I do need carbs for the exercise I do but I've been trying to reduce them along with calories overall. For example I eat small jacket potatoes instead of the big ones I used to eat. Apparently for my basic metabolic rate it is 1300 calories so if I don't eat over this this and exercise on top of it I should be losing weight. I keep getting hungry at night though :/

Quick Reply

Latest