The Student Room Group

Medicine or Engineering?

My friend recently accepted her fifth option of Chemical Engineering at a renowned institute. She was very enthusiastic about it until she received a late offer for Medicine. Now she has no idea which option to go for; her original intention of Medicine or her new interest of Chemical Engineering.

So far, she knows what Medicine entails since she did the majority of her work experience and research on this course. She knows it interests her but she also realises the effort required to meet conditions and thereafter.

She knows considerably less about Chemical Engineering, although she did work experience in a similar environment and quite enjoyed it. She does not know what the course is like and whether the job prospects will be as good as Medicine.

Honestly she doesn't care about salary but doing what she loves. When we tell her what she thinks she is torn between the two.

I would just like to ask about what other people's experiences are with this kind of thing. Particularly anyone who has gone on from Medicine rejections to doing something entirely different or better yet, somebody who has been in the same situation.

Thank you!
Reply 1
We generally like to say that if you think you might want to study anything other than medicine - do that. I think this advice is sound here since your friend was willing to accept the offer and wasn't going to do another year and try again for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending