The Student Room Group

Most Atheists seem arrogant and angry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pnorm
Prove me wrong then. But actually this isn't the point I'm trying to make. Who cares if I'm wrong or right? If there's a possibility that that is the truth then that's why I made that up. The same for religion/non-religion. You didn't want to make anything up and that's fair enough, you're not wrong and you're not right. It's like a coin there's no middle. Obviously yes you can get a coin on it's side but go along with the metaphor. You see what's ironic though is that I'm not Christian but as soon as I even challenge your belief (or lack of) of being an atheist you get defensive and begin to think in absolutes. The same as if I challenged a religious person. Eg. I say I don't believe in Jesus and most of the time they say but there's historic evidence of Jesus being alive, he did exist. Oh so if there's a 2000 year old document saying Mr Blobby was around in those times we're meant to believe that too?

It's annoying because all I believe in is an omniscient being which I like to call God. I don't believe in the Holy Spirit, Jesus and especially not in the Bible. A book edited and re-edited and edited some more for thousands of years and it's meant to be believable and legit? Even though there were those ridiculous times where they did crusades in the name of their god so they could kill people? Forgotten about that hiccup have they?

Hey you never know the Bubonic plague may have been made up just to scare us into being hygienic. Why else do kids learn that at school ?

The difference with believing in a biblical god and a pantheist god or whatever is apparent. With all the illogicality and contradictions in The Bible, along with the predictions that have not been fulfilled, it's quite obviously not the 'right' religion.

And then there's the concept of a burden of proof.
Original post by buzzybee143
Wow what kind of church do you go to? It's not like that at all lmao. We are human and we make mistakes, it is mentioned in the Bible so many times. It's about trying your best to be a good person, caring for others as you care for yourself, helping each other... I mean who wouldn't support that?

But the bottom line is, you cannot have rejected god.

If you do not believe, you are not going to heaven regardless of how 'good' you have been on Earth. On the contrary, if you have been a horrible person but repent before your last breath, you're going to heaven.
I go by what Jesus said, because I researched on how the Bible was written and it's not always very precise. And I wasn't talking about the religion, but how majority of Christians are. Sure you can base them all on the american extremes but thats fine.
Each to their own.

If you have researched on how The Bible was written, you should also know that the accounts of Jesus were unreliable as well.
omg youre not getting a single thing of what im saying. All i'm gonna tell you is to stop genelarising and putting everyone in the same basket. Each christian is different and don't trust themselves to every word in the Bible. Visit eupore sometimes.
Most of my family is atheist and they are extremely nice and caring people. So that wasn't what I was saying at all either girl

Then you and those christians are simply not christians. Deists or theists at best, not christian.

And I know this is the reality of it. Most christians don't even read The Bible​.
Reply 84
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Making something up doesn't mean it's true. Also, I'm not sure that comparison works, we know for a fact that the earth is round, whereas we don't know for a fact that heaven and hell exist.

No but at the time when they thought the world was flat they thought that was a fact.
Reply 85
Original post by clh_hilary
So the idea that women were taken from men, or that the Earth is flat, etc are only trivial to people who think they know everything?

I thought men were taken from women that's why we have nipples... they don't serve any purpose for men... But anyway, I don't think I understood what the first guy said. He made it sound like believing in the creation by God in the Bible is trivial and from my perspective that means lame and for the simple-minded. I don't understand why God couldn't have just done the Big Bang, I don't understand how that theory undermines the idea of God.
Reply 86
How do you know if there isn't a flying tea port orbiting Earth which cannot be detected or observed?

How do you know if the world was not created by The Flying Spaghetti Monster last Thursday with all the memory instilled on to us?

How do you know if I'm not a werewolf who only turns into one from time to time when nobody and no machine is observing?

How do you know if god does not want people to believe in him?

How do you know if god was the 'good guy' and we should not be helping Satan to overthrow such dictator?

:confused:

Exactly. We don't. But neither do atheists nor religious people truly know if there is a God or not. However much they argue neither side actually know. So I don't see why either side has to be so fierce and trying to prove themselves right all the time when let's be honest they can't be right when they're arguing about things we have no idea about.

It's like arguing if Mars has aliens on it, until we know we can just speculate, it's a waste of time and just because one person thinks there could be doesn't make them wrong. How do you know the rovers we landed haven't just landed in a huge desert in Mars and actually somewhere else on the planet there could be life? But please don't start arguing about Mars my intention is to show that there are many things in life we arrogantly think we know because we've been told by everyone else to believe it to be true. Like with the Bubonic Plague they sniffed daisies or poppies right and they thought that would save them? How can things like that not make you think we're wrong about things these days? Just because we have cool things like the internet and science has improved doesn't make us right the whole time. There might be an omniscient presence we just don't know.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pnorm
I thought men were taken from women that's why we have nipples... they don't serve any purpose for men... But anyway, I don't think I understood what the first guy said. He made it sound like believing in the creation by God in the Bible is trivial and from my perspective that means lame and for the simple-minded. I don't understand why God couldn't have just done the Big Bang, I don't understand how that theory undermines the idea of God.

It does not, it just undermines the idea of a biblical god. The biblical god created 'light' before the Sun, without anything for the light to be reflected from, for example.
On the contrary
Reply 89
It does not, it just undermines the idea of a biblical god. The biblical god created 'light' before the Sun, without anything for the light to be reflected from, for example.

Oh I see. Well I agree with you there. I believe the Bible is fantasy and shouldn't be trusted. Like I said earlier it's been edited for thousands of years by people and it was used in the medieval times to justify mass murder. I'd say out of all things in Christianity that book is evil.
Original post by ashraf549
He's 'generalising', Then why don't you atheists stop 'generalising' all theists as deluded. It could be something extremely personal like a murdered member in the family. The crimal has never been found, which in this case many will believe in God. For the ultimate justice. There are many key reasons why believe in God.

That is one of the least rational reasons to believe in a god.
Original post by pnorm
Exactly. We don't. But neither do atheists nor religious people truly know if there is a God or not. However much they argue neither side actually know. So I don't see why either side has to be so fierce and trying to prove themselves right all the time when let's be honest they can't be right when they're arguing about things we have no idea about.

It's like arguing if Mars has aliens on it, until we know we can just speculate, it's a waste of time and just because one person thinks there could be doesn't make them wrong. How do you know the rovers we landed haven't just landed in a huge desert in Mars and actually somewhere else on the planet there could be life? But please don't start arguing about Mars my intention is to show that there are many things in life we arrogantly think we know because we've been told by everyone else to believe it to be true. Like with the Bubonic Plague they sniffed daisies or poppies right and they thought that would save them? How can things like that not make you think we're wrong about things these days? Just because we have cool things like the internet and science has improved doesn't make us right the whole time. There might be an omniscient presence we just don't know.

But what we do know is that the biblical god is impossible for it is logically impossible for there to be a being which is all-powerful, all-knowing, but still moral. Not to mention the many contradictions from The Bible - the accounts of the people going to Jesus's tomb were very different. One gospel said there's only one woman, another said multiple; one said she/they already knew it, another said otherwise; one said the stone had already been removed, another said no; one said there's one angel, another said more than that, etc.

And once again, the burden of proof.
Original post by pnorm
Oh I see. Well I agree with you there. I believe the Bible is fantasy and shouldn't be trusted. Like I said earlier it's been edited for thousands of years by people and it was used in the medieval times to justify mass murder. I'd say out of all things in Christianity that book is evil.

Well, yes. Obviously it is.

But another thing is, most atheists, or at least I hope, are not actually 'absolute atheists'. Not even Richard Dawkins. They are atheistic about the existence of a theistic or personal god, like Einstein was. So when they claim to be atheist, they mean really agnostic.
Original post by pnorm

If we can only speculate, then it's irrational to not only believe in it, but to effectively organise your life around a particular conception of a god. I think that's most atheists' angle.
Reply 94
Original post by TurboCretin
If we can only speculate, then it's irrational to not only believe in it, but to effectively organise your life around a particular conception of a god. I think that's most atheists' angle.

Yeah that's fair enough but I just think you shouldn't then pull a Richard Dawkins on them like the majority of my friends who call themselves "atheist". The most annoying thing is that the majority of my friends who do this also get angry about it because they tend to be the type of person who thinks they're right about everything and haven't learnt to really listen in general.

They rarely take new ideas on board and that's why they struggle with harder concepts in their subjects because their ego is so huge for maths or something when they're posed with a problem they don't understand they think this is too hard to try and they give up and move on instead of struggling with it and getting it right in the end. That was a bit of a rant just then but interesting how they always seem to go hand in hand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pnorm
Yeah that's fair enough but I just think you shouldn't then pull a Richard Dawkins on them like the majority of my friends who call themselves "atheist". The most annoying thing is that the majority of my friends who do this also get angry about it because they tend to be the type of person who thinks they're right about everything and haven't learnt to really listen in general.

They rarely take new ideas on board and that's why they struggle with harder concepts in their subjects because their ego is so huge for maths or something when they're posed with a problem they don't understand they think this is too hard to try and they give up and move on instead of struggling with it and getting it right in the end. That was a bit of a rant just then but interesting how they always seem to go hand in hand.

Arrogance and ignorance often do. I used to be a bit like that when I was younger, before I read a bit more and figured out a more nuanced (and defensible) position.
I'm an atheist. I'm pretty chilled.

The only time I get angry is when someone tries to shove Christianity down my throat.
I consider myself an atheist for the simple reason that I don't believe in any God, nor an afterlife. But of course, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I have no quarrel with those who belong to a faith.

If I were to enter a theological debate my argument would not be centred around the existence of a diety, but rather the morality of the Abrahamic God as portrayed in the King James Bible.
When you are the authority sent personally by the most important and powerful being in the universe I think you can be arrogant indeed.

Nah, I just think that his 'WWJD' wristbands got lost in the post.
Original post by just a dad
Nah, I just think that his 'WWJD' wristbands got lost in the post.

Jesus is part of that most important being though. Quite different from an irrelevant inferior being suddenly being chosen by god personally as the messager and authority.

Quick Reply

Latest