The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Im failing, what should I do?

Hi

I am currently in Imperial College London and I have nearly reached the end of my first year and taken nearly all my exams. I know that I have screwed up big time and I have definitely failed todays exam. The university may offer me retakes in june etc but is there any point? I am not cut out for this degree if I am failing so badly in my first easy year and then I will retake maybe pass and move onto the second year and do the same. At the rate I am going I will probably end up with a third class degree if I do at all which seems a huge waste of time and money seeing as third class degrees are worth so little. Do you think I should take these retakes and try to keep on dragging this degree out or should I just drop out and look elsewhere/apprenticeship?

Thanks

Kabeer
Lol, do better?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by brownbearxo
Lol, do better?

Cheers for answering my question
Reply 3
What degree are you doing? I think you should talk to your personal tutor too.
Reply 4
Kabeer, I would sit down and ask yourself honestly if you did work everyday and stayed on top of your work, going to imperial is a big achievement in itself. If you have a passion for whatever course your doing and finding it interesting then you will find the drive inside you too take the retakes and smash them out.

I would really ask myself what your future goals are and where you would want to be in the next 5 years?
Reply 5
Original post by Dhanoo
What degree are you doing? I think you should talk to your personal tutor too.

I am currently doing computing. Maybe I will talk to my tutor tomorrow but I wanted an independent opinion from someone not connected to the uni
I'd say its only worth continuing if you have a realistic chance of doing better going forward. You need to have a think about why you've performed poorly this year, and whether its something you are likely or willing to be able to improve.

What degree are you doing? If you think you can get at least a 2:2, then the degree will be useful in getting your first job.

However, if you just plain don't enjoy your degree, then are you really going to want a job in a related field after uni? If you're not interested in the subject, or think you'll struggle to improve, then you're probably much better off either switching course or leaving uni to take up something more vocational.

Have a think about the types of jobs you would like to do, really look into it, and then you'll be able to make a more informed decision about whether you need a degree or not to get you there - or whether there is a more direct vocational route that will also have the added benefit of not getting you into debt.
Reply 7
Original post by antipathy
I'd say its only worth continuing if you have a realistic chance of doing better going forward. You need to have a think about why you've performed poorly this year, and whether its something you are likely or willing to be able to improve.

What degree are you doing? If you think you can get at least a 2:2, then the degree will be useful in getting your first job.

However, if you just plain don't enjoy your degree, then are you really going to want a job in a related field after uni? If you're not interested in the subject, or think you'll struggle to improve, then you're probably much better off either switching course or leaving uni to take up something more vocational.

Have a think about the types of jobs you would like to do, really look into it, and then you'll be able to make a more informed decision about whether you need a degree or not to get you there - or whether there is a more direct vocational route that will also have the added benefit of not getting you into debt.

I do enjoy some parts of the degree. I am not really sure what I would prefer more in honesty not that I am unbelievably passionate about this specific field as some people are. I do feel like the likelihood of getting above a 2:2 is slim and a 3rd class degree is quite likely. I just feel like there is nothing I am truly passionate about and finding this degree ridiculously hard. I will speak to my tutor but I feel like talking to family, tutors etc all seem to think university is the correct way without much future thinking
Reply 8
Original post by kvohra
I am currently doing computing. Maybe I will talk to my tutor tomorrow but I wanted an independent opinion from someone not connected to the uni

Ah, I'm doing Computer Science and Electronics! There are some topics I find tough and won't even make sense; what makes it worst is that sometimes exams came out totally out of trend (from any other years). However, I did well in coursework and those were what saved from failing for the past two years. I just wish they are higher weighted than written exams.

How did you prepare your exams? From my experience, it sometime helps if you form a study group with your best mates for the units you struggled the most. Like they said; you'd learn better from teaching others.
How much studying are you doing? How is your attendance? Are there many distractions when you do study? Is there anything going on in your life making University more difficult? What specific part(s) are you finding difficult? I think it's important to address all the small details to see if this benefits you. I was doing absolutely awful at the beginning of the year on my degree and once I addressed all the small things I began finding my course so much easier and my grades improved massively! I got 46% for my first exam, my last few papers I've recieved 60-70%, massive improvement!
Original post by kvohra
Hi

I am currently in Imperial College London and I have nearly reached the end of my first year and taken nearly all my exams. I know that I have screwed up big time and I have definitely failed todays exam. The university may offer me retakes in june etc but is there any point? I am not cut out for this degree if I am failing so badly in my first easy year and then I will retake maybe pass and move onto the second year and do the same. At the rate I am going I will probably end up with a third class degree if I do at all which seems a huge waste of time and money seeing as third class degrees are worth so little. Do you think I should take these retakes and try to keep on dragging this degree out or should I just drop out and look elsewhere/apprenticeship?

Thanks

Kabeer

Well first you should consider all of the things that you want to accomplish in the next 5 years - don't give me a bulls**t excuse that you don't know what you want to do, Kabeer, you're a big boy now. You should know.

Next, don't just think about it, actually take the time out to write down your new set of goals and then prioritize them in their order of importance.

Once you've done that, look at the most important goal and then again write down everything you can think of that you can do to achieve it.

Then it's up you to stay organized and schedule everything you know you need to do.

In my opinion, going to Imperial reading Computing is a golden opportunity, and I wouldn't waste it. However, it's your choice, Kabeer. You are the only one who's responsible for achieving your goals and success in life; go out there and strive for whatever your heart desires! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Do you know the reason for why you're failing? Is it a lack of work? I doubt that you're failing because you're not cut out for the degree, why would Imperial pick you if they didn't think you could do it. What's done is done, but don't give up! :smile:
A lot of people find the transition from school to university very hard, so firstly don't beat yourself up about it. One of my friends failed half of his first year exams at Imperial. 4 years on, he passed with a 2.1, went on to do a masters (also at Imperial) and graduated with a Distinction. He is now doing a joint PhD between Imperial and UCL. Another friend of mine at Imperial failed ALL of her first year exams: yes, ALL OF THEM!! She is now doing a PhD at Cambridge. So failing first year exams doesn't mean you're not cut out for the subject.

Like somebody else posted, you need to figure out why you struggled so much with the exams. DO you not enjoy your subject? Do you think you've picked the wrong course? Or was it because you didn't put enough effort in? Once you've moved away from home, it can be really hard to get the right work-play balance because of the new found independence.

If you think the subject is not right for you then think about what you actually like and what you would want to do. Talk to your tutor, parents, siblings, friends, careers service or anybody who may be able to help you figure it out. If it was a matter of lack of focus then come up with a revision plan for summer to pass your retakes. It won't be easy, but it'll be worth it, and you may turn out to do very well like my friends I told you about!

Everybody makes mistakes in life. Use this as a learning experience! Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mattdennis
Well first you should consider all of the things that you want to accomplish in the next 5 years - don't give me a bulls**t excuse that you don't know what you want to do, Kabeer, you're a big boy now. You should know.

Next, don't just think about it, actually take the time out to write down your new set of goals and then prioritize them in their order of importance.

Once you've done that, look at the most important goal and then again write down everything you can think of that you can do to achieve it.

Then it's up you to stay organized and schedule everything you know you need to do.

In my opinion, going to Imperial reading Computing is a golden opportunity, and I wouldn't waste it. However, it's your choice, Kabeer. You are the only one who's responsible for achieving your goals and success in life; go out there and strive for whatever your heart desires! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This struck a chord with me. Thank you for this. I am not avoiding responsibility for the situation but I never really regarded it as a golden opportunity. I always thought it was a good university but not a golden opportunity. I will strive to achieve it. Thank you to all who gave me advice :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by kvohra
Hi

Thanks

Kabeer

First and foremost, I'm really sorry to hear this. I know how disheartening it can be to know that something you expected and wanted so badly is really not what it turned out to be.

In terms of what you should do, I don't think it's anyone's right to give you an answer. It's best you know yourself what you want. All I can tell you is that you really should go somewhere you know you will fit in well and where you enjoy the degree. I went to what many on this forum would consider a 'crappyish' University, and yet came out with a good degree, great results, an experience of a lifetime that taught me more than just academics and better life experiences. I'm working for an amazing team in a Company I respect an am loyal to. Many of my friends who did 'better' degrees at top Universities hate their lives now and came out with a well respected degree, but nothing else.
Reply 15
I take it the exam was Maths Methods/Dicrete Maths?

Just wanted to chime in to say I thought there was a good chance I'd failed that last year, having skipped most of the MM questions and I came out with 50%. My PT says they do scale marks (addition, not multiplication) if students generally don't do that well.

Even if you only just scrape by the first year, it is only worth a ninth of the total mark at the end. The second year is a lot more coursework based and personally, I'd say its less miserable. Apart from one Statistics course, there is not much maths.
Huge numbers of highly gifted and very well paid computer people here and in the USA do not have any computer qualifications at all. Those who can just do it.
Original post by kvohra

I'm interested in taking Computer Science. I got a CS offer from Imperial.

Is a lot of it maths based?

I don't know how they structure exams at university, but in A-level, doing every single past paper of the exam modules I am taking have allowed me to get good grades.

Doing past papers and analysing the mark schemes allow you to have good exam technique and reap the marks. As for coursework, you need to do a lot of research, analyse the examiners reports and proof-read (worked for me in AS). Mark your own coursework using the mark schemes (if they are available).

What did you get in your A-levels (if you don't mind)?

I got a C in my mock-exam for AQA MD01 (Maths Decision Module 1), but 10 days later after that mock-exam I sat the actual exam. In the actual exam I got 97% by doing every AQA MD01 past paper and making sure I understand the solution of each question.

Ask tips from people who have gotten the best grades in your computing course.
Your revision technique is also very important.

For programming, you should try solve programming problems instead of just memorising programming techniques and so on (not saying you are).
In the AS computing exam last year, many people in my class failed because they just memorised code instead of understanding the code.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Sayonara
I'm interested in taking Computer Science. I got a CS offer from Imperial.

Is a lot of it maths based?

I don't know how they structure exams at university, but in A-level, doing every single past paper of the exam modules I am taking have allowed me to get good grades.

Doing past papers and analysing the mark schemes allow you to have good exam technique and reap the marks. As for coursework, you need to do a lot of research, analyse the examiners reports and proof-read (worked for me in AS). Mark your own coursework using the mark schemes (if they are available).

What did you get in your A-levels (if you don't mind)?

I got a C in my mock-exam for AQA MD01 (Maths Decision Module 1), but 10 days later after that mock-exam I sat the actual exam. In the actual exam I got 97% by doing every AQA MD01 past paper and making sure I understand the solution of each question.

Ask tips from people who have gotten the best grades in your computing course.
Your revision technique is also very important.

For programming, you should try solve programming problems instead of just memorising programming techniques and so on (not saying you are).
In the AS computing exam last year, many people in my class failed because they just memorised code instead of understanding the code.

It depends on how wide someone's definition is of maths. Just pure maths, and there is one course out of 7: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~jb/teaching/mathematical-methods/
Including discrete maths, there is a course for that (in fact 2 lasting 3/4 of a term each). Including logic ( http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~imh/teaching/140_logic/logic.html ) and reasoning about programs ( http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/teaching/courses/141 ) and that's 4 out of 7. In the second year it is not as much.

Doing past papers before exams here is useful, but its less effective than with a-level maths. For one, they don't provide solutions to the exams, only the tutorial exercises. And usually it's not as easy as just pasting the question into wolframalpha to check your answer. Some courses (admittedly less true in the first year) are quite new or recently redesigned, so there are fewer past papers or they are not relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending