The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology - Kineses

I've got my BIO6X written paper tomorrow and I'm doing a bit of last minute revision - this is the first time I've looked at that part of the textbook and it says under kineses that organisms turn MORE in unfavourable conditions? This is the opposite of what I've been taught and also seems completely illogical! Can anybody offer any insight? Will AQA penalise you for saying they turn more in favourable conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I think of it as the more rapid they move and the more turns they make the better chance of them getting to an area of favourable conditions
Textbook is wrong there. An organism, for example a maggot, under damp favourable conditions with move slower and turn more.

Under dryer conditions it will move faster and turn less to try and get to favourable conditions.
(edited 9 years ago)
The information I have is that Kineses are random non directional movements: an individual does not move towards or away from a stimulus but moves faster, changes direction more frequently in response to intensity of a stimulus threatening its survival. More intense the threatening stimulus, faster are the movements and more frequent the change of direction. In this way - individual is more likely to find quickly a less threatening environment. Movements then slow and may stop altogether as individual spends more time in an environment they are more likely to survive in.

(hope that helps a bit! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest