The Student Room Group

Microbiological technique unit 15 help urgent!!!

hi im wondering if any one can help me on microbiological technique unit for year 2 on assignment 1 distinction part where you have to talk about how the structure relates to the function for eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, im really struggling as i have got distinctions in all the other assignment apart from first one
Original post by sull
hi im wondering if any one can help me on microbiological technique unit for year 2 on assignment 1 distinction part where you have to talk about how the structure relates to the function for eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, im really struggling as i have got distinctions in all the other assignment apart from first one

Hey, just going to pop this in biology for you, you should get some more responses there. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey, just going to pop this in biology for you, you should get some more responses there. :smile:

Thank you
Original post by sull

Hi! In case you are struggling on how structure relates to function for eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, this is somewhat easy. You just need to recall the structural elements in the cell. These are, for a eukaryotic cells, the cell membrane, the nucleus, the ER, the golgi and the cytoskeleton, as well as mitochondria and other structures. Now consider the function of a cell. Suppose we have a cell whose function is to eat up and phagocytose foreign particles that enter the body. Now this cell would need energy, and enzymes to digest the foreign particles. Therefore, it would have an abundance of energy producing mitochondria and an abundance of enzyme containing lysosomes.

Apply this technique to other structural components as well, and you'll do fine. At the molecular level, we consider that the predominant compounds are proteins. Now suppose a cell has to transmit small polar molecules like ions across the cell membrane. Therefore it would need, in the first place, polar and then hydrophilic amino acids to carry out its function. Extend this to lipids and carbs as well, only if you are required to do it on a molecular level.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending