The Student Room Group

HELP! I have a terrible dilemma!

I've been offered a brilliant opportunity but it comes at a difficult time and I don't know what to do..
My dad is going to Mexico for a week next friday and has offered me the chance to go with him. The dilemma I have is that it would mean I miss my last week of college lessons before we go on study leave for exams. I can't foresee if going would badly affect my results. We have finished the syllabuses so all we will be doing is focused revision.
One of the pros is that I am studying Spanish and they speak spanish in mexico!

The girls in my class think I should go but my work colleagues think I should stay and go to my lessons...

What should I do?! What would you do in my situation? Please help!
Original post by moogacid
I've been offered a brilliant opportunity but it comes at a difficult time and I don't know what to do..
My dad is going to Mexico for a week next friday and has offered me the chance to go with him. The dilemma I have is that it would mean I miss my last week of college lessons before we go on study leave for exams. I can't foresee if going would badly affect my results. We have finished the syllabuses so all we will be doing is focused revision.
One of the pros is that I am studying Spanish and they speak spanish in mexico!

The girls in my class think I should go but my work colleagues think I should stay and go to my lessons...

What should I do?! What would you do in my situation? Please help!

I don't really know what your trip entails. If you think you can still study effectively in Mexico, you could try and take your work with you and study it there. And it would definitely help your Spanish - nothing helps learning a language more than immersion.
Reply 2
To be honest I think it's depending on how well the lessons are or are they just the standardised 'past paper' lessons. (My economics lessons attracts an average of 3 people now :frown:)

E.g. I missed 1.5 weeks during A2 but it turned out fine since lessons were very irrelevant . Plus my mate nicely photocopied a sheet that was the only important thing during the year. Did revision on the plane and at the hotel when free time was there, it was lovely

Some subject revision lessons may be more useful than others e.g. History than perhaps psychology. As long as you are in control of your subjects, I personally see no issue.

Ps: I bet a lot of tsr members will make it out like this Mexico trip will mean you will end up getting 3 U's
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
If you want to then go do it, it's a great opportunity, have some fun before study leave
Reply 4
Hmm, it is a tough one. How are you doing so far? If you've no worries and are doing ok, you should probably take the opportunity and go to Mexico. When are you next going to get an opportunity like that? Plus it would give you a chance to relax and shave off a bit of exam stress so hopefully you'd feel more relaxed when going into the exams, and it's not like you're going straight into an exam the day you get back. However, if you're really worried about how you're doing, are under-performing or feel you would benefit more from the week of classes you'd be missing, it might be worth staying behind.

I personally would stay behind but that's just because I'm worried sick about my exams and got a bad grade in a mock we just did so I'd definitely need the time to study. It's about how you're doing, feeling and whether you think it'd have a detrimental effect on your studies. Good luck whatever you decide to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest