The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE English Literature Wednesday

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by midgemeister7
I just found that there wasn't too much language to actually do in-depth analysis on... what sort of things did you talk about?

Well indeed there wasn't much language but I talked about the theme and symbols for a bit like the gravestone symbolises death which is a theme of the novel and foreshadows Kingshaw's suicide blah blah blah and then relate the theme to how this passage is distressing and disturbing blah blah

Also I said that "Things will come back to you" thing and that is karma (ok I stupidly said reincarnation instead of karma LOL i just realised FML nooooooo) and then kingshaw could never be relaxed even if Hooper is not nearby and then some psychological effect blah blah

then the irregularity created by his "O god, I didn't mean to" sort of speech creates *whatever effect I wrote; I don't remember* because until that point, the passage was all descriptive without anyone's speech

I hate the ITKOTC story but I really like this story when writing essays. It's really easy to talk about themes and mood also character's psyschological state
I didn't even have any time to check..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by strawberrysnow
I didn't even have any time to check..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah there were only two people including me taking IGCSEs this year but we both were writing until the very last second
Reply 23
That was the hardest exam I've had in a long time apart from the poetry, the tempest and silas marner essay questions were awful

Posted from TSR Mobile
also what are grade boundaries?
Original post by floraistoolazy
also what are grade boundaries?

Nobody knows. Usually in the range of 66-74 out of 100 including an mark out of 25 in coursework for an A*. It was a relatively hard paper so I'm guessing it'll be closer to 66 than 74...
we didn't do coursework, we do unseen does that make it lower
Original post by C0balt
Well indeed there wasn't much language but I talked about the theme and symbols for a bit like the gravestone symbolises death which is a theme of the novel and foreshadows Kingshaw's suicide blah blah blah and then relate the theme to how this passage is distressing and disturbing blah blah

Also I said that "Things will come back to you" thing and that is karma (ok I stupidly said reincarnation instead of karma LOL i just realised FML nooooooo) and then kingshaw could never be relaxed even if Hooper is not nearby and then some psychological effect blah blah

then the irregularity created by his "O god, I didn't mean to" sort of speech creates *whatever effect I wrote; I don't remember* because until that point, the passage was all descriptive without anyone's speech

I hate the ITKOTC story but I really like this story when writing essays. It's really easy to talk about themes and mood also character's psyschological state

I didn't do great on that question, I panicked and rather stupidly missed out the connection between the graveyard and the theme of death. I did talk about foreshadowing, but in the context of Charles pitifully subjecting himself to the judgement of God ie pretty obvious he's going to kill himself. I also talked about Charles' loneliness etc and the fact that his personality changes so much from being quite kind and feeling bad about thinking nasty things to wanting Hopper to be dead.
Reply 28
anyone do the all my sons essay?
Original post by floraistoolazy
i did silas, hardy, and tempest and all my essays were the same title

my silas one had no analysis and none had proper conclusions

I love the tempest! but my school never did the book what was the tempest questions like?
Original post by zoezoe1998
I love the tempest! but my school never did the book what was the tempest questions like?

i did passage one about the first meeting of m and f and it was how does shksp make this a moving and dramatic scene and it was nice and easy but room for analysis to
and did anyone do the fasting, feasting question?
Original post by AarushiJ
1. Stories of ourselves - A bunch of short stories from there
2. Songs of ourselves- A bunch of poems from there
3. Importance of being Earnest
4. Dr. jekyll and Mr Hyde

what about you?

The Tempest, Stories of Ourselves and Hardy's poems.
Original post by mollev27
That was the hardest exam I've had in a long time apart from the poetry, the tempest and silas marner essay questions were awful

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Tempest essay wasn't TOO bad but I still didn't answer it that well. I wrote about the outcomes for the characters of: Alonso, Antonio, Sebastian and Caliban. I also wrote about the fact that Prospero gave up magic and so he won't misuse it in the future.
I did the empathic question for the Tempest - it was quite straight forward as I made sure it was well structured, stuck closely to the play whilst referring to other parts of the play and it had a good tone. Quite a comfortable route towards a good grade considering the generally low grade boundaries in CIE English. Did anybody else do the writing in role question?
did anyone do fasting and feasting? what was the passage based question again i didnt choose that one
I did the empathic question for the Tempest - it was quite straight forward as I made sure it was well structured, stuck closely to the play whilst referring to other parts of the play and it had a good tone. Quite a comfortable route towards a good grade considering the generally low grade boundaries in CIE English. Did anybody else do the writing in role question?

I did the empathic for The Tempest too and to be honest I hadn't a clue for the Tempest questions so I just yolo'd it.
Reply 37
I didn't do great on that question, I panicked and rather stupidly missed out the connection between the graveyard and the theme of death. I did talk about foreshadowing, but in the context of Charles pitifully subjecting himself to the judgement of God ie pretty obvious he's going to kill himself. I also talked about Charles' loneliness etc and the fact that his personality changes so much from being quite kind and feeling bad about thinking nasty things to wanting Hopper to be dead.

Well I did this question second though it was meant to be the last question. I knew I SUCKed at poem so I tried to gain as many points as possible with this novel (I'm quite good at novel) so I had no time pressure and I could think well :smile:
I didn't really talk about personality change though because I didn't know how to link it to the question - how it is distressing. I talked about his way of speaking (though it was not exactly speaking but still it was what he said) that he lacks full stop and puts so many commas which convey that he is in desperation (?) and taking short breaths

I'm happy with my performance on this question, but seriously poetry SUCKED HARD.
Reply 38
Original post by fjdfdjdf
anyone do the all my sons essay?

Oh boy... I did that All My Son essay (the mother one). What did you write for that? I couldn't find much to say for "bad wife" argument ._.
I did mine in completely the wrong order - 2 then 3 then 1. In my opinion, the empathic writing in role question is a pretty easy way to bag 18+ marks if you go about it properly.

Quick Reply

Latest