The Student Room Group

anxiety and ocd

i wouldn't say i have major ocd but i do get very anxious about things, when i feel like i am getting ill with something i worry cause i don't want to be so ill that i miss loads of college cause i don't want to fail A levels. this does stem from the pressure of doing well enough to get to my favourite uni and is made worse by the fact that i suffer from IBS which does leave me feeling unwell some days and that makes me anxious. also at night before i go to bed i have to check that everything is safe i.e. cooker, lights, tv off that sort of thing and that makes me tired.
its just a jumble of things really. i am a top scoring student academically and i am on target for good grades despite this, and i generally feel happy in myself. i just want to hear if anyone has any similar situations like me, cause i think it would help me if i can talk about it.
Original post by Anonymous
i wouldn't say i have major ocd but i do get very anxious about things, when i feel like i am getting ill with something i worry cause i don't want to be so ill that i miss loads of college cause i don't want to fail A levels. this does stem from the pressure of doing well enough to get to my favourite uni and is made worse by the fact that i suffer from IBS which does leave me feeling unwell some days and that makes me anxious. also at night before i go to bed i have to check that everything is safe i.e. cooker, lights, tv off that sort of thing and that makes me tired.
its just a jumble of things really. i am a top scoring student academically and i am on target for good grades despite this, and i generally feel happy in myself. i just want to hear if anyone has any similar situations like me, cause i think it would help me if i can talk about it.

I've had anxiety for 2 years, which was caused by a large number of things. It left me with panic attacks and quite bad paranoia. I've almost stopped having the panic attacks now, but the paranoia still exists. It makes me feel sick and light headed and it can be very overwhelming, especially when I have exams to focus on.

I worked myself quite hard in my AS year, and it just drained me. In the end I had to reduce my hours of revision by almost a half, and give myself some time to relax. It worked. I can deal with pressure but too much is bad. Maybe just take some time off, relax and put your university offer to the back of your mind. You'll crack if you put yourself under too much pressure. I know it's important but really health comes first, well for me it does. My panic attacks were quite bad sometimes and so is the anxiety and paranoia, it was kind of like a wake up call that I was stressing myself way too much.

Now my anxiety is much better and I feel so much better for it. Really talking about it really helped me - to other people, especially face to face. I was offered counselling for anxiety, but I didn't want it. It might be good for you though if you feel you need someone to talk to. I chose to talk things through with my parents, which helped a lot. I felt so relieved to be able to tell everything to someone I trusted.

From my experience speaking to others with anxiety, it's always funny to see that they all have almost flawless academic records, weird huh? :smile:

I would say that you feeling happy in your general self is the most important thing, it's amazing that you have anxious tendencies but you have the self-control to not take them to a higher level. Personally I didn't stop when I should have, and it all spiralled into constant irrationality to a point where I needed two doses of weekly counselling.

I think the pressure to do well in your exams is just getting to you a little bit, but it should settle down once you get into the exams routine. It will pass! :smile:

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fab :biggrin:
Reply 3
I've had anxiety for 2 years, which was caused by a large number of things. It left me with panic attacks and quite bad paranoia. I've almost stopped having the panic attacks now, but the paranoia still exists. It makes me feel sick and light headed and it can be very overwhelming, especially when I have exams to focus on.

I worked myself quite hard in my AS year, and it just drained me. In the end I had to reduce my hours of revision by almost a half, and give myself some time to relax. It worked. I can deal with pressure but too much is bad. Maybe just take some time off, relax and put your university offer to the back of your mind. You'll crack if you put yourself under too much pressure. I know it's important but really health comes first, well for me it does. My panic attacks were quite bad sometimes and so is the anxiety and paranoia, it was kind of like a wake up call that I was stressing myself way too much.

Now my anxiety is much better and I feel so much better for it. Really talking about it really helped me - to other people, especially face to face. I was offered counselling for anxiety, but I didn't want it. It might be good for you though if you feel you need someone to talk to. I chose to talk things through with my parents, which helped a lot. I felt so relieved to be able to tell everything to someone I trusted.

i have a rule that i never work beyond teatime in the evenings and i never work on a sunday unless i have an exam the next day. it is helpful to be able to talk to people on here, i have a few friends on here who have had the same problems in the past.
thanks for the reply
Reply 4
From my experience speaking to others with anxiety, it's always funny to see that they all have almost flawless academic records, weird huh? :smile:

I would say that you feeling happy in your general self is the most important thing, it's amazing that you have anxious tendencies but you have the self-control to not take them to a higher level. Personally I didn't stop when I should have, and it all spiralled into constant irrationality to a point where I needed two doses of weekly counselling.

I think the pressure to do well in your exams is just getting to you a little bit, but it should settle down once you get into the exams routine. It will pass! :smile:

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fab :biggrin:

its also this illness i have, IBS can make me feel sick and bloated and sometimes not well enough to study, most days i am fine but bad days aren't that good for me.
i agree that it is people who do well academically, maybe its cause of the high expectations we and other people have. I am generally happy yes, i do occasionally feel pressured but i quickly get over it, listening to my favourite music or having a nice snack helps. it did all start with A levels i think.
i hope you are doing better now
its also this illness i have, IBS can make me feel sick and bloated and sometimes not well enough to study, most days i am fine but bad days aren't that good for me.
i agree that it is people who do well academically, maybe its cause of the high expectations we and other people have. I am generally happy yes, i do occasionally feel pressured but i quickly get over it, listening to my favourite music or having a nice snack helps. it did all start with A levels i think.
i hope you are doing better now

Sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending! (I re-read my post)

IBS doesn't sound great, I must admit. Anxiety can't make it any better :frown:

And yeah I am, thanks. I've had OCD since I was 10 (I'm 18 now but I didn't realise it at the time). That was followed by panic attacks during GCSEs when I was 15, going on until I was 17. I have had all my therapy and am now in a much better state thankfully. I've been discharged from everything :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest