The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 20/05/2014

Scroll to see replies

Could a location of sovereignty question come up? :s
What do you reckon the 40 marker for PM & Cabinet be based on?
Original post by xxvine
anybody finding this hard

Impossible!!
Original post by Thebeast97
What do you reckon the 40 marker for PM & Cabinet be based on?

I reckon how important is cabinet/to what extent has its power grown under coalition. But could be a 25 marker!
Reply 604
why is collective responsibility important?
Original post by alexgr97
I reckon how important is cabinet/to what extent has its power grown under coalition. But could be a 25 marker!

Is this a prediction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emilyborexx
Is this a prediction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately yes, I don't have any insider knowledge on the paper :tongue:
I'm finding this sooo hard i feel like giving up on it but I'm predicted an A grade and somehow I'm gonna need a miracle to pull that off! my college only taught us 3 out of 4 topics we didn't do the judiciary. i was looking through a textbook and past papers and realized that he hasn't even taught us half the stuff, especially anything with coalitions and that's been on more than half the past papers! :mad:

if anyone has any notes on constitution, Parliament and/or PM and cabinet i would really appreciate it.

I'm gonna have to cram really bad and i have another exam on the same day :frown:

any predictions aswell for any of the questions?
Original post by alexgr97

if any question came up on the coalition i would definitely fail this exam since haven't even been taught it, really hope it doesn't :frown:
Original post by Piledriver
Can anyone give a few examples of PMs prerogative powers and when they have been exercised?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Power to declare war: WW1, WW2, Falklands War (under Thatcher)
Power to choose the cabinet
Patronage power (hire & fire)
Power to grant peerage

Original post by jj225
has collective responsibility been weakened or has it become stronger under the coalition?

Could be argued both ways. Weaker in that the govt. is made up of 2 parties that have different ideological views, and so maintaining loyalty is more difficult. You could use Vince Cable as an example. A Lib Dem MP (Secretary of State for Business) in the cabinet who has strongly opposed government, however David Cameron hasn't fired him (which goes against the idea of collective responsibility whereby you follow the party or resign/sacked).

Stronger in the sense that the govt. is weaker (because of a coalition) and so there is more of an effort on both sides of the govt. to keep it all together.
hows revision guys
Original post by xxvine
hows revision guys

AMAZING. Not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
hows revision guys

****. i don't know where to start.
Guys

for parliament i think something will come up on HOL and Commons
Original post by Missgeehughes
Well it's important to look at the word "now"... Perhaps use the growing desire for a greater emphasis on human rights (a British bill of rights might be beneficial), providing clarity for citizens who due to the unconcreted constitution have a disillusionment with politics (causing low turnout perhaps), it creates a strong judiciary which may be effective as they're neutral and impartial- reducing the likeliness of an elective dictatorship; therefore acts like the 2001 anti-terrorism measures would be unlikely to be introduced, and it safeguards the constitution as the flexibility of uncodified can be damaging as any gov can abolish/make/amend laws (eg when labour tried to implement ID cards many people voluntarily payed £30... Con gov of 2010 abolished within 100 days and Theresa May said there would be no refund but rather they act as memorabilia to the public)

However for the disadvantages you could talk about: flexibility being important for a changing society (eg the unelected hol could be reformed easily), parliamentary sovereignty would be abolished- which is essential for representative democracy in the UK, it creates judicial tyranny (as opposed to authority being vested in the hoc whereby changes happen due to democratic pressure) codified would mean changes happen due to senior judges beliefs that changes need to be made and they are socially unrepresentative therefore this may lead to democratic deficit.

I hope this helps!! :smile:)

T

That's brilliant thank you so much.... However could you expand on the ID cards example? seems pretty good and I might use it in my answers :smile:
Ok so exam's on Monday and I'm so screwed. Half way through PM & Cabinet. Kill me now.
Original post by Piledriver
I've just started revising now.. I have work all day on saturday and sunday so have 2 days to cram, only going to revise 2 units and pray the question gods at edexcel are kind to me :frown:

Dear oh dear, I feel your pain...
Good luck though, and let's pray for low grade boundaries.. lololol
Original post by gonnafail17
Dear oh dear, I feel your pain...
Good luck though, and let's pray for low grade boundaries.. lololol

how many you revising?
constitution is just soooo foking long
Original post by golden tribe
constitution is just soooo foking long

easiest one though

Quick Reply

Latest