The Student Room Group

AQA P2/P3 Revision Q and A

So the idea of this thread is people post a couple questions which others answer. The person posts a question and the next person answers. They then leave a question for the next person and so on.

Hopefully this thread will work to remind people of things they may have forgotten and to ensure everyone’s including all the points. If you want anything explained please post in one of the other threads.

Try and do your questions like an exam one would be (2 or 3 will do) so that all your questions are a part of the same topic.

I’ll start:

Which two atoms can be used to in power stations for nuclear fission?

Explain why scientists cannot use nuclear fusion to generate electricity?

Nuclear fusion is the process in which atoms of heavy elements, such as Gold (Au) were formed. Explain how.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

would of answered the last post, but i only do p2
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaNick
Answers:
Questions:
1) Describe and explain the purpose of water as a 'moderator' in nuclear power stations.

2) What is an ultrasound wave?

3) Explain why transformers do not work with DC circuits.
Answers

To cool down the fuel rods (not quite sure)

A high frequency sound wave beyond human hearing

Because a changing magnetic field is needed for the magnetic field to work

Questions

Give 3 factors that affect stopping distance.

How will a crumple zone help the safety of a driver?

How can the car manufacturers make the car more stable? Give 3 ways. (P3)

Reply 3
Questions for next person are...

Reply 4
ultrasound is a higher frequency than we can hear(humans)

Transformers dont work with a DC circuit because there is no change in magnetic field. There would be no induction in the secondary because you need a changing magnetic field to induce a potential difference.

I dont get the water question?:confused:
Probably been asked before, but what do you guys reckon will come up for the P2 and P3 6 markers. I'm thinking comparing a camera lens and eye in P3, not sure about P2?
Reply 6
things that affect stopping distance, is the road conditions, condition of car, how awake you are eg tiredness.

Crumple zones direct kinetic energy to other forms of energy. They increase impact time.

Car manufactures make the car more stable by giving it a low centre of bass, wider base:colone:
Original post by CallumS343
Questions for next person are...

stopping distance = road surface, icy conditions and how good the grip on the tyres are.
crumple zone helps safety of the driver by increasing the surface area to absorb the force so less is exerted onto the driver?
they can lower the centre of mass of the car, make the base wider of the car, um pretty sure theres only 2 ways? :frown:
Could anyone please explain to me how an electric motor spins? And how a transformer works?
Reply 9
what is limit of proportionality?

what is a diode?

What are safety precautions when handing radioactive materials?
Original post by jshep000
stopping distance = road surface, icy conditions and how good the grip on the tyres are.
crumple zone helps safety of the driver by increasing the surface area to absorb the force so less is exerted onto the driver?
they can lower the centre of mass of the car, make the base wider of the car, um pretty sure theres only 2 ways? :frown:

Yep, i'm bad with typos. Can you post questions though so the thread keeps going ? :smile:
explain the process of nuclear fusion, and nuclear fission.
What would be the whole process of a star that has a higher mass than the sun?
P3 question; If you were short sighted, what does that mean? And what type of lens would you need to fix it?
Original post by Yousf

what is a diode?

The point past which extension is not directly proportional to force.

A device that only lets current flow one way.

Wear protective equipment, keep far away, reduce exposure time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
i have a long eye:colondollar:
Original post by Yousf

what is a diode?

Answers

Limit of proportionality is the maximum point of extension before the spring will break?

A diode is a component which only lets the current flow in one direction due to high resistance in negative direction.

Wear a badge which tells you of your exposure, special gloves/boots, stay far back if using them for medical purposes

Current questions are... (from jshep)

explain the process of nuclear fusion, and nuclear fission.

What would be the whole process of a star that has a higher mass than the sun?

P3 question; If you were short sighted, what does that mean? And what type of lens would you need to fix it?
Reply 16
Limit of proportionality is the maximum a elastic object can TAKE and still extend proportionality
limit of proportionality is the maximum an elastic object can stretch before it cannot return to its original position....
What should i revise? Like what is most likely to come up etc
im finding physics reeeaaally hard
Reply 19
If you had short sight it means you have a long eye, to fix this use a diverging lens.

In nucleur fission a slow moving neutron must be absorbed into a uranium and plutonium nucleus. This addition of neutron makes the nucleus unstable cause it to split. Each time a uranium and plutonium sliplts, it spits out two or three neutrons, one might hit another nucleus, cause it also to split.
Nuclear fusion is when TWO LIGHT NUCLEI join to create a larger nucleus.

Quick Reply

Latest