The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I've been looking at course modules and what they involve, and I really like the look of a course that requires BBB, but I'm pretty sure I might be able to beat that (However, I'm doing AS at the moment), so I was just wondering if getting higher than required grades might make it more likely that I get a place (especially since I have no extra curricular activities).

Thanks for replying, and the info Pencil Queen :smile:
Reply 2
LS.
I've been looking at course modules and what they involve, and I really like the look of a course that requires BBB, but I'm pretty sure I might be able to beat that (However, I'm doing AS at the moment), so I was just wondering if getting higher than required grades might make it more likely that I get a place (especially since I have no extra curricular activities).

i think getting higher grades will definately help. i got 5 A's at AS yet still chose to apply for edinburgh which needed BBB and i think having higher grades definately gave me an advantage. extra curricular activities are also important though and i'd recommend trying to at least do something even if its just joining a badminton class or the gym...
Reply 3
LS.

Yeah, I think it will help a lot. You're more likely to be given a place if you have higher grades than most people who have applied. It also means the offer you're given is likely to be higher though!
Reply 4
~Sam~
Yeah, I think it will help a lot. You're more likely to be given a place if you have higher grades than most people who have applied. It also means the offer you're given is likely to be higher though!

Having said that, If they gave you a higher offer than the usual, and you didn't manage to get it, - say you got BBB, they would probably be more inclined to take you, than if you missed a normal offer.

It might be a good idea to get some extra curricular things to write on your personal statment or its going to look very bare!
Reply 5
Just don't end up having 300 points and half your class mates having 200 points, they drag you down!
Reply 6
Careful just because they advertise BBB does not mean that this is the offer you will receive. If it is a popular uni or course and there are a lot of applicants, a higher offer maybe given because that is the only way they can squeeze down the numbers.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the info guys :smile:

I know this is going to sound a bit dense (but before now I haven't really been looking into going to uni) but what's the difference between the 'typical offer' in the prospectus, and the 'higher offer' you keep mentioning?

As for popularity of the course, it's neuroscience at notts, I dont know if it's a never popular course or not, I havent seen may threads on here about it.

As for extra curricular activities, I do have some, liking hiking (but not a member of any clubs though) and landscape photography, but I'm probably taking a course in sign language later in the year.

Also, how many/what other types of extra curricular activities is it good to have?
Reply 8
Pencil Queen
In the prospectus (and in the big UCAS book) universities will publish a "typical" offer - a kind of guideline to make sure they don't get people wasting their application by applying for a course which they would never get the grades for.

However each individual person when they actually apply will be made an individual offer which will take into account their predicted grades and also the level of the other people actually applying at the same time as them (for instance some times a uni will publish say BBC and more than half of their applicants for a single year will be predicted AAB in which case they will end up making actual offers far far higher than the published one, and sometimes the majority of their applicants might be predicted CCC in which case the actual offers they'll make would be much lower than the published offer)

Ahh...it all becomes clear. Thanks so very much for the explanation!

Latest

Trending

Trending