The Student Room Group

Entry requirements

I have noticed that I have an offer with higher entry requirements (IB 7,6,6) than on the University website (IB 6,6,6) for this course. Is it normal?
Original post by Yasminna5
I have noticed that I have an offer with higher entry requirements (IB 7,6,6) than on the University website (IB 6,6,6) for this course. Is it normal?

No. Universities won’t usually ask for higher grades than published. If you contact admissions they’ll be able to check its not a mistake and explain why.
Reply 2
Thank you
What uni is it? The above poster is right that most unis only use the standard grades on their website, but some e.g. Edinburgh will if they’ve only made offers to people with higher predicted grades than the entry requirements.
There should be a section somewhere on their website explaining how they do this so I’d recommend trying to find that before emailing them and assuming it’s a mistake.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by squiddy135
What uni is it? The above poster is right that most unis only use the standard grades on their website, but some e.g. Edinburgh will if they’ve only made offers to people with higher predicted grades than the entry requirements.
There should be a section somewhere on their website explaining how they do this so I’d recommend trying to find that before emailing them and assuming it’s a mistake.

Ok, it is University of Edinburgh

Scottish universities show minimum entry requirements and offers exceed that, It doesnt happen elsewhere in the UK which shows standard entry requirements

As above, you may have been looking at the minimum requirements for the course. Those are usually the level of offers given to applicants with contextual flags. The "standard" offer for Edinburgh will usually be the upper end (or somewhere between) the grade ranges given.

They did at least used to explain this on each course webpage although it may have moved or been obscured since in the last couple years I've noticed a lot of applicants asking similar things for Edinburgh so it may be less clear now!
I'd like to personally thank Edinburgh for making it so easy answer questions about UK entry requirements in a concise way.
Reply 8
Standard entry requirement for my course is IB 37 (HL 6,6,6) - IB 32 (HL 5,5,5). My offer is IB 39 points with 7,6,6 at HL
(edited 2 months ago)
Standard entry requirement for my course is IB 37 (HL 6,6,6) - IB 32 (HL 5,5,5). My offer is IB 39 points with 7,6,6 at HL

You need to contact Edinburgh and ask. Scottish universities are totally different to the rest of the UK. They have quotas due to Scottish Government restrictions because there are no fees for Scottish students. Their rules are different and this is typical of Edinburgh and St Andrews.

From Edinburgh website “understanding our entry requirements”:
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/entry-requirements/our-requirements

“If all applicants selected to receive an offer for a degree have achieved, or are predicted to achieve, grades higher than the upper grade level in the entry requirements then the conditional offer will be based on the lowest grades achieved, or predicted to be achieved, by the selected applicants.
This means that conditional offer requirements may sometimes be higher than the upper grade level for a degree. For example, where the upper grade level is AAA, but all applicants selected to receive an offer for that degree have achieved, or are predicted to achieve, at least AAA then conditional offers for that degree will require AAA.”

I would assume that you have an offer of 7,6,6 because even though they only require 6,6,6, everyone selected to receive an offer has been predicted as least 7,6,6 so that’s the offer they’ve been making to people.
They also say that as many of their programmes are very competitive, you may need to achieve higher than the standard entry requirements to receive an offer.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending