The Student Room Group

Need admission requirement help

The university I am applying to says that they require minimum grades of AAB from A-Levels. (This is a European university). I am currently in year 13 doing A-Levels with 3 subjects and it looks like a minimum of AAB grade average for me.

However last year I took 4 subjects in AS Level and I got AABD. I dropped the subject i got D from A-Level.

So my question is, is it okay for me to apply to this university? Will the subject I got D and dropped will be included in my average? Or will it act as an extra subject and I will have AAB average. Because when applying, I need to apply with the penultimate year’s grades.
What university (and course) do you have in mind?
Reply 2
A levels aren’t an average, they are stand alone grades so your D last year will have no impact on your other subjected achieving you AAB predicted grades
Reply 3
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
What university (and course) do you have in mind?

Erasmus University Rotterdam, International Business Administration
Original post by Bculha
The university I am applying to says that they require minimum grades of AAB from A-Levels. (This is a European university). I am currently in year 13 doing A-Levels with 3 subjects and it looks like a minimum of AAB grade average for me.

However last year I took 4 subjects in AS Level and I got AABD. I dropped the subject i got D from A-Level.

So my question is, is it okay for me to apply to this university? Will the subject I got D and dropped will be included in my average? Or will it act as an extra subject and I will have AAB average. Because when applying, I need to apply with the penultimate year’s grades.

Without knowing the name of this university, it's impossible to provide an accurate answer. However, you have stated that "they require minimum grades of AAB" and then started talking about whether your dropped subject "will be included in my average". Does this university base it's entry requirements based upon your average grade? If so, why do they talk about minimum grades of AAB"?
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Without knowing the name of this university, it's impossible to provide an accurate answer. However, you have stated that "they require minimum grades of AAB" and then started talking about whether your dropped subject "will be included in my average". Does this university base it's entry requirements based upon your average grade? If so, why do they talk about minimum grades of AAB"?

https://www.rsm.nl/education/bachelor/bsc-international-business-administration-iba/admissions-requirements-per-diploma/?tx_rsmfaq%5Bpage%5D=5&cHash=b9333b836e0ee13f233853e312cf6ea9

If you could check the A-Level requirement section.

Because it is a Dutch University, either I did not understand what they are trying to say or they did not explain it properly.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia

https://www.rsm.nl/education/bachelor/bsc-international-business-administration-iba/admissions-requirements-per-diploma/?tx_rsmfaq%5Bpage%5D=5&cHash=b9333b836e0ee13f233853e312cf6ea9

If you could check the A-Level requirements page^

When I am filling the form for application I have to check a box that asks After checking the requirements for your diploma, do you meet the requirements for Grade Average, English and Math? *”

Should I tick yes or no? English grade is getting a minimum of 5 from IGCSE which I got higher, maths was getting minimum of B is AS Level, which I got “A” but the grade average part is confusing me.
Original post by Bculha

If you could check the A-Level requirements page^

When I am filling the form for application I have to check a box that asks After checking the requirements for your diploma, do you meet the requirements for Grade Average, English and Math? *”

Should I tick yes or no? English grade is getting a minimum of 5 from IGCSE which I got higher, maths was getting minimum of B is AS Level, which I got “A” but the grade average part is confusing me.

On the page you've linked to it does indeed use the word "average":

"Your average grade counts the most for the final ranking. The lower your grades, the fewer selection points you'll receive. If you do not meet the minimum grade average listed for your diploma, we advise you to apply elsewhere. Use the search tool below to find the criteria for your diploma."

Beneath that it says, at "United Kingdom: General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-levels(A2)/International Advanced A-levels (IAL)" it says:

"• 3 General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-level/A2 level in academic subjects* including Mathematics with grades AAB; and
3 General Certificate of Secondary Education ((I)GCSE) with final grades: A*-B (9-5).
Six different subjects in total"

I think they're using the word "average" too casually. Also, as they specify three A levels.

They do say:
"For applicants in the final year of high school:
Your Grade Average will be calculated based on your AS grades (if applicable) or the grades of the penultimate year (year before your final year)"

But this will only be three AS grades as predictors of your three A level grades.

I think you can safely tick the "After checking the requirements for your diploma, do you meet the requirements for Grade Average, English and Math?" box. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending