The Student Room Group

iGCSE English Literature Section C Poetry

Im doing the Edexcel iGCSE Section C on the Lit course -
does anyone know what poems are predicted to come up/themes?!

Also, should we compare the poems or write about them separately?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FHale
Im doing the Edexcel iGCSE Section C on the Lit course -
does anyone know what poems are predicted to come up/themes?!

Also, should we compare the poems or write about them separately?

Thanks!

Well, the poem 'The Tyger' hasn't come up yet so it might show up. I have only seen questions where you compare poems (though I wouldn't know what to compare the Tyger with O.o)
I think the theme of Love, loneliness and maybe pain/death could show up? Maybe childhood too...
Reply 2
Original post by ~xSarahx~
Well, the poem 'The Tyger' hasn't come up yet so it might show up. I have only seen questions where you compare poems (though I wouldn't know what to compare the Tyger with O.o)
I think the theme of Love, loneliness and maybe pain/death could show up? Maybe childhood too...

Typical, one of my least favourites! One of the teachers told us we SHOULD compare when writing but then the other said we SHOULDN'T so now im really confused lol! I think death came up last year so possibly love, Sonnet 116 and Remember maybe?

Thank you so much!
Original post by FHale
Typical, one of my least favourites! One of the teachers told us we SHOULD compare when writing but then the other said we SHOULDN'T so now im really confused lol! I think death came up last year so possibly love, Sonnet 116 and Remember maybe?

Thank you so much!

Oh, well usually the question asks to compare the poem with another of your choice (or it already lists the 2 poems you should compare) - now I'm confused! :confused: Maybe if they simply ask us to talk about a certain theme we can either talk about one or two poems...I think :P
Love could possible turn up so yes Sonnet 116 (I think we can compare it to My Last Duchess as well).
And yes...I really hope The Tyger doesn't turn up! :eek:
Reply 4
Oh, well usually the question asks to compare the poem with another of your choice (or it already lists the 2 poems you should compare) - now I'm confused! :confused: Maybe if they simply ask us to talk about a certain theme we can either talk about one or two poems...I think :P
Love could possible turn up so yes Sonnet 116 (I think we can compare it to My Last Duchess as well).
And yes...I really hope The Tyger doesn't turn up! :eek:

I will have to ask tomorrow before the exam :frown: I am so bad at picking poems, I always pick the ones I like instead of the ones that link to the question!
Reply 5
hey guys,
what do you think'll come up?
Original post by FHale
I will have to ask tomorrow before the exam :frown: I am so bad at picking poems, I always pick the ones I like instead of the ones that link to the question!

omg same here! I did that in my end of year exam last year....I was the only one in the class who picked a different poem to compare with the one given. Honestly though, it's our opinion and if we feel it fits (and made good comparisons) then the examiner should be fine with it! (I hope :biggrin:)
Reply 7
omg same here! I did that in my end of year exam last year....I was the only one in the class who picked a different poem to compare with the one given. Honestly though, it's our opinion and if we feel it fits (and made good comparisons) then the examiner should be fine with it! (I hope :biggrin:)

Ha exactly, just have to get them to see your point and get them to go with it! Hopefully we will pick the right poems though haha! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by FHale
Ha exactly, just have to get them to see your point and get them to go with it! Hopefully we will pick the right poems though haha! :smile:

Ive heard it will most likely be these: I've heard :If, prayer before birth, la belle, the tiger, mother in a refugee camp, do not go gentle and remember
Original post by FHale

Hahaha agreed! :wink:
Original post by FHale
Ive heard it will most likely be these: I've heard :If, prayer before birth, la belle, the tiger, mother in a refugee camp, do not go gentle and remember

Hmm...I guess they're alright? :s-smilie: Not my favourite poems...
I hate poetry! It's my least favourite in English Literature!
Do you guys know the form of all of the poems? I only know the form of these:
Prayer Before Birth: dramatic monologue
Sonnet 116: sonnet
La Belle Dame sans Merci: ballad
Telephone conversation: dialogue
My Last Duchess: dramatic monologue
Do not go gentle into that good night: villanelle
Remember: sonnet

I just need to know the forms of:
If-
Half-past Two
Piano
Hide and Seek
Poem at Thirty-Nine
Once Upon a Time
War Photographer
The Tyger
A Mother in a Refugee Camp

BASICALLY ALL OF THEM. MY TEACHER IS AN IDIOT :frown:
Original post by FHale

That's what i was told as well, however Remember and do not go gentle came up in the January paper so they most likely wont come up :smile:
do you think war photographer is coming up?
Reply 14
Hmm...I guess they're alright? :s-smilie: Not my favourite poems...

how did it go? sorry i havent replied had leavers day afterwards!
Original post by FHale

I found it okay, definitely better than the first paper. The first question I chose the unseen extract and not poem since I find it much easier analysing texts. I felt I did really well on that. The second question, I felt like I repeated myself a lot. I picked the question about 'If-' and 'Prayer Before Birth'. But overall I felt I did okay. I'd be expecting an A but will be slightly surprised with anything less/more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Zishanzaheer
I found it okay, definitely better than the first paper. The first question I chose the unseen extract and not poem since I find it much easier analysing texts. I felt I did really well on that. The second question, I felt like I repeated myself a lot. I picked the question about 'If-' and 'Prayer Before Birth'. But overall I felt I did okay. I'd be expecting an A but will be slightly surprised with anything less/more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh i did the poem as i though that was quite a good poem!
I did that question too and i found myself repeating myself a lot - i was really ill in the exam and had to leave twice which was annoying! thats good.
Original post by FHale
Oh i did the poem as i though that was quite a good poem!
I did that question too and i found myself repeating myself a lot - i was really ill in the exam and had to leave twice which was annoying! thats good.

OMG I was also ill, not ill enough to leave though. The weather change always gets me. But I just disregarded the poem after reading the extract as I had a billion different things I was thinking I could write about the extract!
Reply 18
Original post by Zishanzaheer
OMG I was also ill, not ill enough to leave though. The weather change always gets me. But I just disregarded the poem after reading the extract as I had a billion different things I was thinking I could write about the extract!

ah i was really bad :frown: fair enough, thats why they give you the choice!
Original post by FHale

Hey! It went alright I guess, I picked If and Prayer Before Birth since I had written an essay on that before :smile: I also chose to analyse the text instead of the poem for the first question! How did you find it? Which questions did you pick? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending