The Student Room Group

English Literature/Language A-level Help

Im in year 12 and currently taking the combined english a level course AQA and i'm finding it really difficult. Im doing Heaney,Gatsby,Frankenstein and All my sons (as well as paris and NEA obvs)
does anyone have any tips for everything?! esp frankenstein and heaney- or how to improve my writing itself(liek structure, what to include etc) Im sitting at a high C atm and i'd really like to get an A in my mocks in April.
any resources that might be helpful too, please suggest!!
Thanks so much!!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tamilearns
Im in year 12 and currently taking the combined english a level course and i'm finding it really difficult. Im doing Heaney,Gatsby,Frankenstein and All my sons (as well as paris and NEA obvs)
does anyone have any tips for everything?! esp frankenstein and heaney- or how to improve my writing itself(liek structure, what to include etc) Im sitting at a high C atm and i'd really like to get an A in my mocks in April.
Thanks so much!!

I’d recommend looking at past papers for your books/exam board, since this is really the only way you can improve on structure and academic register.
For my answers (A* student) I structure everything into 3-5 points relating to the question. I then start my paragraph with an outline of my point, then link a specific part of the book to it with a quote. I explain the quote, insert a critical view, and link another part of the text (and explain it as well.) I then end my paragraph with a summary of my argument linked to the question.
Im in year 12 and currently taking the combined english a level course and i'm finding it really difficult. Im doing Heaney,Gatsby,Frankenstein and All my sons (as well as paris and NEA obvs)
Thanks so much!!

Hi Im in yr13 combined english 🙂 hope this helps haha
Structure for essays especially if its an extract question track through that in order and for essays do the same for the book so you dont get confused/practice papers also super helpful going through markschemes to see what anaylsis you can add
Quizlet I find really helpful for doing revision online for english and mind maps to link everything together :smile:
and for essays in general usually I pick a topic per paragraph and then go from that
also for English especially I usually mainly revise themes to link to the characters aswell that way I have quotes for everything. Depending on the book though revise characters or themes depends how many for each
Making sure you get all context marks aswell literally looking at anything articles online or youtube videos going through analysis or key scenes of the play
Also seeing if you can get a revision guide for any of the books so that its easier to track through when revising.
But for yr12 just make sure u keep up to date with revision materials and u should do amazing 🙂 hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by lisaxclapham
Hi Im in yr13 combined english 🙂 hope this helps haha
Structure for essays especially if its an extract question track through that in order and for essays do the same for the book so you dont get confused/practice papers also super helpful going through markschemes to see what anaylsis you can add
Quizlet I find really helpful for doing revision online for english and mind maps to link everything together :smile:
and for essays in general usually I pick a topic per paragraph and then go from that
also for English especially I usually mainly revise themes to link to the characters aswell that way I have quotes for everything. Depending on the book though revise characters or themes depends how many for each
Making sure you get all context marks aswell literally looking at anything articles online or youtube videos going through analysis or key scenes of the play
Also seeing if you can get a revision guide for any of the books so that its easier to track through when revising.
But for yr12 just make sure u keep up to date with revision materials and u should do amazing 🙂 hope that helps

thank you so so much, I really appreciate this. do you have any tips when it comes to approachign the poetry section? I tend to get really overwhelmed in exam conditions, especially since I have limited time to plan and write my response. Also did you/do you know anyone who has a tutor? if so please recommend becasue nobody teaches this subject 😭😭😭😭
thank you so so much, I really appreciate this. do you have any tips when it comes to approachign the poetry section? I tend to get really overwhelmed in exam conditions, especially since I have limited time to plan and write my response. Also did you/do you know anyone who has a tutor? if so please recommend becasue nobody teaches this subject 😭😭😭😭

for the poetry section first thing choose the question depends on exam board but mine has texts to compare poetry to aswell so sometimes the theme u want is with a poem u struggle to analyse so make sure to practice it

for structure of poetry on the paper im given i do a mind map for the theme and choose poems that relate from there try to subcatcategorise the theme eg. if it was on war one paragraph on emotional toll of war and then one on physical for diff poems
choose poems u are comfortable w ik they tell u to revise every poem but pick favourites analyse those in depth (make sure u cover each theme look at exam papers to see whats come up) and then make flashcards for each poems and for ur not fav ones make sure to try to cover those too

context also try to remember for poetry mines split for each time period so I revise context for the whole time period eg useful general facts and then zoom in on the poet themselves just to make sure u put it in

I have a english tutor on Mytutor is a good website for them! (they let u watch back ur lessons also rlly helpful)

I still struggle for poetry i did have an acronym that I made up called SWIFT structure/word choice/imagery/figurative language/tone 🙂 hope that helps soz if its confusing
Reply 5
Original post by lisaxclapham
for the poetry section first thing choose the question depends on exam board but mine has texts to compare poetry to aswell so sometimes the theme u want is with a poem u struggle to analyse so make sure to practice it

for structure of poetry on the paper im given i do a mind map for the theme and choose poems that relate from there try to subcatcategorise the theme eg. if it was on war one paragraph on emotional toll of war and then one on physical for diff poems
choose poems u are comfortable w ik they tell u to revise every poem but pick favourites analyse those in depth (make sure u cover each theme look at exam papers to see whats come up) and then make flashcards for each poems and for ur not fav ones make sure to try to cover those too

context also try to remember for poetry mines split for each time period so I revise context for the whole time period eg useful general facts and then zoom in on the poet themselves just to make sure u put it in

I have a english tutor on Mytutor is a good website for them! (they let u watch back ur lessons also rlly helpful)

I still struggle for poetry i did have an acronym that I made up called SWIFT structure/word choice/imagery/figurative language/tone 🙂 hope that helps soz if its confusing

i actually love you thank u so much!!! This really helps. btw i do AQA! I'm going to try your mindmap and flashcard tips for poetry tomorrow! (also online or physical flashcards, which do you prefer out of interest?)
Sorry to ask again LOL
but do you think you could private message me the details for your tutor specifically? I've checked the website but i can't find anyone!!
again, I can;t thank u enough- This is more helpful than you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending