The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level English Literature B Paper 1 - 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

AQA A-Level English Literature B Paper 1 (7716/1, 7716/1A, 7716/1B) - 24th May [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 24th May (afternoon)
Length: 2 hr 30 min

Resources Exam board website
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

This exam thread is for the following topics and texts:

Aspects of Tragedy
Othello
King Lear

F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby
Thomas Hardy Tess of the D’Urbervilles
John Keats ‘Lamia’, ‘Isabella or The Pot of Basil’, ‘La Belle Dame Sans Merci’, 'The Eve of St. Agnes'
Arthur Miller Death of a Salesman
William Shakespeare Richard II
AQA English Literature B Poetry anthology

Aspects of Comedy
The Taming of the Shrew
Twelfth Night

Jane Austen Emma

Geoffrey Chaucer 'The Nun’s Priest’s Tale' including Prologue and Epilogue
Oliver Goldsmith She Stoops to Conquer
Andrea Levy Small Island
Oscar Wilde The Importance of Being Earnest
AQA English Literature B Poetry anthology
Reply 2
anyone have any predictions for Othello section B?
Is anyone doing King Lear.
I am also doing death of a salesman and Keats poetry.
Any predictions?

Also does anyone know any effective revision techniques?
Reply 4
does anyone have any predictions for the Othello questions? or section b? Were doing Gatsby and Richard
i suppose the extract section for Othello could be on Act 5 but early Act 5 not the ending as for Keats and DOAS I have no idea hoping its manageable though!!
Reply 6
Anyone doing comedy? Any tips for the scene and possibly the character influenced sec b
We have been told look acts 2,3, 4 mainly
Then possibly Olivia / Feste for B?
Reply 7
i agree Feste hasnt been around in any questions and hes the next main character basically. Do u happen to have any quotes for the themes please like diguise folly etc I could use them to compare
(Original post by erindunne4)Anyone doing comedy? Any tips for the scene and possibly the character influenced sec b

Original post by erindunne4
Anyone doing comedy? Any tips for the scene and possibly the character influenced sec b
Reply 8
Original post by ashtonswh0re
i suppose the extract section for Othello could be on Act 5 but early Act 5 not the ending as for Keats and DOAS I have no idea hoping its manageable though!!

i agree with your prediction for Act 5 - dont mind that to be honest, and same no clue for DOAS & Keats , how are you revising ?
Reply 9
anybody doing taming of the shrew or earnest/emma? any predictions qs?
Reply 10
what quotes u got for earnest
Reply 11
Original post by simi403
anybody doing taming of the shrew or earnest/emma? any predictions qs?
Reply 12
honestly not much, I look at goodreads for quotes but the main ones I have are:

ACT 1- Algernon: “Nothing will induce me to part with Bunbury, and if you ever get married, which seems to me extremely problematic, you will be very glad to know Bunbury. A man who marries without knowing Bunbury has a very tedious time of it.”

ACT 1- Lady Bracknell: “I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square.”

ACT 1- Jack: “You don’t think there is any chance of Gwendolen becoming like her mother in about a hundred and fifty years, do you, Algy?”
Algernon: “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.”
Jack: “Is that clever?”
Algernon: “It is perfectly phrased! and quite as true as any observation in civilized life should be.”

ACT 2- Algernon: “Oh! I am not really wicked at all, cousin Cecily. You mustn’t think that I am wicked.”
Cecily: “If you are not, then you have certainly been deceiving us all in a very inexcusable manner. I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy.”

ACT 3- Lady Bracknell: “My nephew, you seem to be displaying signs of triviality.”
Jack: “On the contrary, Aunt Augusta, I’ve now realised for the first time in my life the vital Importance of Being Earnest.”

these are more key moments but they fit in with comparisons of themes with austen's emma (my second comedic text)
Original post by Kingbets
Original post by 04MR17

AQA A-Level English Literature B Paper 1 (7716/1, 7716/1A, 7716/1B) - 24th May [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 24th May (afternoon)
Length: 2 hr 30 min

Resources Exam board website

anyone doing taming of the shrew cos im abt to fry my brain 🤪🤪🤪
Original post by colinnzcool
i agree with your prediction for Act 5 - dont mind that to be honest, and same no clue for DOAS & Keats , how are you revising ?

mainly essay plans e.g., role of tragic victim, villain and hero and all the other major themes. In class, we were given the beginning of Act 5 as an extract to analyse and plan our answer which is helpful. I've written key quotes with their analysis on flashcards - I'm honestly so nervous I need an A in English for uni and I have history on the same day and psychology the next so I don't have as much time to prepare :frown: how are you revising?
mainly essay plans e.g., role of tragic victim, villain and hero and all the other major themes. In class, we were given the beginning of Act 5 as an extract to analyse and plan our answer which is helpful. I've written key quotes with their analysis on flashcards - I'm honestly so nervous I need an A in English for uni and I have history on the same day and psychology the next so I don't have as much time to prepare :frown: how are you revising?

im doing the same subjects as you so i get how u feel lol, the best thing is just to do a bunch of essay plans until it feels like second nature ig...

ahh dont get me started on psychology - so much content
for english i havn't started properly i cant liem but apart from essay plans just quote analysis and learning critics to apply
Reply 17
Anyone doing King Lear and have any predictions? For the Section A I was thinking it could be a storm scene extract from Act 3 as thats not come up yet and I feel like its the only key one left. And for Section B I’m hoping it might be an Edger question as thats not come up for a while.
Reply 18
hope everyone's revision is going great, just wondering if anyone has a document/flashcards on links between pre-1900 love poetry and wuthering heights? or predictions for othello?
Reply 19
Original post by KoalaKitten5496
Is anyone doing King Lear.
I am also doing death of a salesman and Keats poetry.
Any predictions?

Also does anyone know any effective revision techniques?

I’m also doing King Lear, I was thinking maybe an Act 3 scene could come up from the storm as there quite key scenes and it hasn’t come up yet? I’m also doing DOASM and Keats and thought maybe a question on ‘Overarching solem/ serious tone’ could come up as it’s the only one that’s really not, but i know also they were predicting ‘treatment of women’ to come up last year and it didn’t so maybe it might this time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending