The Student Room Group

I'm missing something so simply PLEASE HELP

Hi everyone I'm doing what should be the simplest part of Statistics 1, but for some reason my calculator refuses to correctly give the mean as 2.8, and instead says 3.5. I've checked a hundred times that I've inputted the data correctly but as soon as I press XBar it gives the wrong value. If someone could help that'd be great.... What am I doing wrong? image.jpg
a) Heard of screen-shotting?

b) Try doing the calculation manually and you'll get 2.8. I couldn't say where you're going wrong using your calculator's stats functions.
Original post by TheDimpleboy
Hi everyone I'm doing what should be the simplest part of Statistics 1, but for some reason my calculator refuses to correctly give the mean as 2.8, and instead says 3.5. I've checked a hundred times that I've inputted the data correctly but as soon as I press XBar it gives the wrong value. If someone could help that'd be great.... What am I doing wrong? image.jpg

I did it in my head in about fifteen seconds. It's 2.8. I don't have your calculator here so I don't know what you're doing with it. I would guess that you're missing out the ten zero-data-points from your calculation - that would give an answer 3.5.
It's pretty bad practice to use the calculator function to work out statistical measures (mean, standard deviation, rmsd etc). If you use the calculator in an exam, unless it explicitly states 'use your calculator to', there's a chance you'll lose method marks. Better to learn the formulae.
I wouldn't have used it if it wasn't for the fact that I need to work out SD too, and my calculator gives the value of 2.29, where as the MS says 2.24 to 2.27..... any ideas what could be going wrong ?
I wouldn't have used it if it wasn't for the fact that I need to work out SD too, and my calculator gives the value of 2.29, where as the MS says 2.24 to 2.27..... any ideas what could be going wrong ?

Yes. Read my last post. I'm not writing it out again.

Interesting. Omitting the zero data points gives 3.5 as the mean, but 1.99 as the standard deviation, so your error is not what I thought it was.
Original post by benplumley
Yes. Read my last post. I'm not writing it out again.

Well I appreciate you're telling me to do it manually, I'm just a bit worried both the calculators I have are making the same mistake, and the data is inputted correctly (even the zero points).
Original post by Smaug123
Interesting. Omitting the zero data points gives 3.5 as the mean, but 1.99 as the standard deviation, so your error is not what I thought it was.

It's driving me crazy because it should be so simple, and I've definitely got all the data in the table. I do press xbar to get the mean right?
It's driving me crazy because it should be so simple, and I've definitely got all the data in the table. I do press xbar to get the mean right?

Yes. More pictures is probably the only way we're going to know what you're doing.
I've just worked it out manually, I'll upload the working. My calculator gave the same result using the inbuilt function.
(edited 9 years ago)
If anyone was bothered, I was that tired I was using the x and y table, rather than frequency....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest