The Student Room Group

I regret not taking history a level

I’ve just started A levels and I chose biology, chemistry, mandarin and geography. As much as I enjoy these subjects they are incomparable to history. I’ve always loved history in general- revising the content and writing the essays. However, I didn’t choose it because I had to take 4 a levels so I could do mandarin and I was worried history would be too content-heavy so I chose geography instead. I’ve just started my lessons but already I have a gut feeling I should’ve chosen history and feel quite sad. I really don’t know what to do. Should I risk it and change geography for history even though it means a lot more revision and pressure or just stick with geography. I do really enjoy geography as well but I just really miss doing history since doing it at GCSE. Please can someone give me some advice??
Reply 1
If you're going to be spending the next two years sitting in Geography lessons wondering "what if?" or thinking "I wish I was in a history lesson right now", then there is no point carrying on with Geography. Listen to that gut instinct, it's rarely wrong.

If you love history and enjoy the process of it, then whether it's content heavy is irrelevant, because you'll enjoy the content so it won't be a chore. Geography is pretty content heavy too and some of the assessment components can be much more time-intensive.

The best advice, which loads of schools just simply don't give, is to pick the subjects you like, not the subjects you think will get you the best grades with the least effort. Good grades will naturally follow from pursuing something you're passionate about; bad grades come from taking subjects you're not that interested in.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fedora34
If you're going to be spending the next two years sitting in Geography lessons wondering "what if?" or thinking "I wish I was in a history lesson right now", then there is no point carrying on with Geography. Listen to that gut instinct, it's rarely wrong.

If you love history and enjoy the process of it, then whether it's content heavy is irrelevant, because you'll enjoy the content so it won't be a chore. Geography is pretty content heavy too and some of the assessment components can be much more time-intensive.

The best advice, which loads of schools just simply don't give, is to pick the subjects you like, not the subjects you think will get you the best grades with the least effort. Good grades will naturally follow from pursuing something you're passionate about; bad grades come from taking subjects you're not that interested in.

Agree 100%.Geog is no easy option.I loved history.Yes there was a lot of work but I was happy to do it

Quick Reply

Latest