The Student Room Group

Compulsory pooling at Cambridge?

Is anyone aware of something called compulsory pooling at Cambridge? Just got four A stars and had seen on the TSR that anything over three A stars gives you an automatic interview and compulsory pooling. Non-contextual candidate for 2024 entry . Have rung a couple of colleges and people on the phones didn’t seem to know. TIA
Being “pooled” simply means that the college to which you applied has had more strong applicants than it could admit in your subject, this year, but thinks you are potentially admissible to Cambridge (and might have taken you in another year) so has put your application forward for consideration by other colleges via the intercollegiate “pool”.
Reply 2
Hi there, thanks for the note! I know about normal winter and summer pooling but this is something different when you apply with grades in hand. It’s quite a niche thing I think.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Is anyone aware of something called compulsory pooling at Cambridge? Just got four A stars and had seen on the TSR that anything over three A stars gives you an automatic interview and compulsory pooling. Non-contextual candidate for 2024 entry . Have rung a couple of colleges and people on the phones didn’t seem to know. TIA

Do you hold a Cambridge offer already? Where on TSR have you seen this? It sounds a bit "dodgy" to me - the standard Cambridge offer is based on 3 A levels, and many students may not have the opportunity (or want ) to take 4 A levels anyway, so some sort of "automatic right to interview" based on getting "over 3 A stars" sounds as if it would be discriminatory anyway.

Yeah I heard of this also. As far as I read it means that if the college you applied to doesn't accept you, you are guaranteed to end up in the winter pool, which isn't guaranteed for other applicants. Can't remember where I read it though.
Original post by davros
Do you hold a Cambridge offer already? Where on TSR have you seen this? It sounds a bit "dodgy" to me - the standard Cambridge offer is based on 3 A levels, and many students may not have the opportunity (or want ) to take 4 A levels anyway, so some sort of "automatic right to interview" based on getting "over 3 A stars" sounds as if it would be discriminatory anyway.

No it's just 3 A*s. You don't need to do four A levels to get 3 A*s. I can't remember where I read about it though but I've also heard of it

I'm not sure if the scheme still runs or whether the new adjustment scheme takes up those places. You had to already hold an offer though, that you missed, but still exceeded certain parameters iirc. @Pembroke Rep will know
Hi there, thanks for the note! I know about normal winter and summer pooling but this is something different when you apply with grades in hand. It’s quite a niche thing I think.

yes, wondered about that last year when dc having been winter pooled then got the grades for compulsory pooling but please double check that it’s still a thing
( dc didn’t want to do this, but would be interesting to know if they still honour this)
agree, Pembroke rep. or phone up admissions to ask during working day
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Yeah I heard of this also. As far as I read it means that if the college you applied to doesn't accept you, you are guaranteed to end up in the winter pool, which isn't guaranteed for other applicants. Can't remember where I read it though.

The most recent FOI request related to it only runs up to the 2020/21 cycle (see last 2 pages), but it definitely at least used to exist for post-qualification applicants: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/709231/response/1693643/attach/4/FOI%202020%20873%20Lo%20materials.pdf
Original post by threeportdrift
I'm not sure if the scheme still runs or whether the new adjustment scheme takes up those places. You had to already hold an offer though, that you missed, but still exceeded certain parameters iirc. @Pembroke Rep will know

Hello. Compulsory Pooling is applicable for the Winter Pool, and isn't impacted by the August Reconsideration Pool which takes place in the summer. Unfortunately I don't have the information whether it will be used this year or not. I would assume so but I don't know! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending